Evening (Lajos Koltai, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Michael

#1 Post by Michael » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Candidate for the worst movie of the year? For the past day I've been fascinated by film critics' savaging of the new movie Evening on rottentomatoes.com (one of my favorite sites). It's currently got a 26% rating which means it's getting LOTS of horrible reviews.

colinr0380

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:12 pm

23% now

Matt

#3 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:51 pm

It will have to drop precipitously to beat Are We Done Yet's 7%, but failed art is always more interesting in its awfulness than inept popular entertainment. I like this quote from Kevin Biggers of filmstew.com:

"Vanessa Redgrave pursuing a poorly CGI-ed butterfly, with this incredibly idiotic look on her face, reminded me of a time I saw a retarded dog chasing a tree."

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Since his surgery, Roger Ebert has mostly popped in to deliver occasional reviews of films he really likes. I guess he couldn't resist offering his one-and-a-half-star take on Evening though. Always adept at eviscerating bad movies, he offers this gem:
Out of consideration for us, her reveries are in chronological order, even including events at which she was not present, like before she arrived at the house. She is attended by a nurse with an Irish accent (Eileen Atkins), who sometimes prompts her: "Remember a happy time!" Dissolve to Ann's memory of a happy time. It is so mundane that if it qualifies as a high point in her life, it compares with Paris Hilton remembering a good stick of gum.

tavernier

#5 Post by tavernier » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:02 am

I knew it was in serious trouble when I saw that Michael Cunningham was involved with it. His name always raises a red flag.