Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog, 2008)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
jesus the mexican boi

Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog, 2008)

#1 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Werner Herzog's latest has played the Telluride and the Toronto festivals.

Slant sez:
Werner Herzog is all mojo, all the time, and one wishes all documentary filmmakers had his inimitable personality. Encounters at the End of the World, an eye-opening look into Antarctica and its scientists and nature-made wonders, doesn't reach Grizzly Man's peaks, but even when the movie skirts depressing territory (it is quite clear in its view that humans will absolutely go the way of the dinosaur), it's always absorbing. And when Herzog grills a reticent scientist on whether penguins are gay and whether they experience insanity, you're happily in Herzog Land.
More here, in Variety here, and the film's official website here.
Last edited by jesus the mexican boi on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hot_locket

#2 Post by hot_locket » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:54 pm

There is so much wonder in that last sentence. Thank god for Herzog!

Can't wait to see this, thanks for posting.

exte

#3 Post by exte » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:18 am

Herzog Goes to Antarctica, I'm in!

putney

#4 Post by putney » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:08 pm

It's a good film. in a way it's interesting for Herzog fans, because you can see a rare case for him: he's put into a situation filled with interesting people, but "interesting" people, not someone who has that spark that Herzog is so skillful at turning into poetry. so in that way the film is sort of free from a center of gravity, in the Herzog-sense, but it is filled with amazing sights, sounds (especially sounds) and great Herzog observations. for fans of left-field music, there is also the treat of seeing free-improvising guitarist henry Kaiser wandering around (he shot a lot of the underwater footage used for "wild blue yonder". it was Kaiser's tales of Antarctica (he's gone there several times) , their friendship, and kaiser's help securing Herzog a place on the Antarctica visiting-artist program that made making the film possible. a "good" Herzog film is still more worth seeing than pretty much (currently) anybody else's "best" film, in my opinion, so, def. check it out when you have a chance.

putney

jesus the mexican boi

#5 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:54 pm

I updated my original post with more links, then found this hilarious piece from New York in May when Herzog screened selections from his then-unfinished documentary at the Goethe-Institut.

A teasing highlight:
ON ANNA NICOLE SMITH: "I knew there was something very momentous about her. I even forced a man who would normally never watch anything like that -- Roger Ebert. I told him, 'You must watch this. A poet must not avert his eyes.' So he finally watched it. Only from the moment on that she died did it (occur to) everyone: It was a very big cultural phenomenon, somehow -- some kind of collective dream not only in the United States. You find the same sort of adhering to her show in Argentina, or you'd probably find it in Asia or wherever you go. I always understood it as something very, very big. In a way I wish I could have done a film with her. But it's not possible anymore."

exte

#6 Post by exte » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:20 pm

Jeebus!

RagingNoodles

#7 Post by RagingNoodles » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:40 pm

jesus the mexican boi wrote:And when Herzog grills a reticent scientist on whether penguins are gay and whether they experience insanity, you're happily in Herzog Land.
This sounds like it'll be one of those wacky classic Werner Herzog stories that we will hear about decades from now. This film sounds very interesting.

jaredsap

#8 Post by jaredsap » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:22 pm

ENCOUNTERS is one of my favorite films of the last few years. It finally got distribution from THINKfilm. Image is "managing DVD sales." Anyone think this could be the first Criterion Herzog release? A guy can dream.

King Prendergast

#9 Post by King Prendergast » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:41 pm

Anyone think this could be the first Criterion Herzog release? A guy can dream.
Herzog should get the automatic Criterion treatment for all subsequent releases a la Wes Anderson from a few years back. Our most vital living filmmaker.

hot_locket

#10 Post by hot_locket » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:57 pm

King Prendergast wrote:Our most vital living filmmaker.
Agreed.

tavernier

#11 Post by tavernier » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Opens at Film Forum June 11.

Antoine Doinel

#12 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Here's the trailer.

kaujot

#13 Post by kaujot » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:29 pm

The People. The Profound. ... And One Insane Penguin. Image is handling the DVD release.

hot_locket

#14 Post by hot_locket » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:33 am

Whatever happened to the Discovery Channel airing this?

Edit: Holy shit, that's the actual tag-line? :|

bigP

Re: Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog, 2008)

#15 Post by bigP » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:10 am

Revolver Entertainment's excellent box set, Encounters in the Natural World, is now priced at £15.99 at HMV (DVD) / £24.99 Blu and £17.18 from Amazon (DVD) / £24.88 Blu.

The set is in a lovely hard box with pull-off top and features, Encounters at the End of the World (2-Disc Edition - It's licensed from Image, and carries most if not all their additional features), Grizzly Man, The White Diamond, The Flying Doctors of East Africa & La Soufriere. The last two are on the same disc, and appear to be exclusively part of the box set as both the cover and disc art carry the title Encounters in the Natural World, whilst the Encounters at the End of the World and Grizzly Man -and I assume it is intended that The White Diamond will gain a standalone release - are the same edition as released previously.

zedz

#16 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:46 pm

I was aware of this release, but it hadn't registered that it meant we'd be seeing La Soufriere in HD! First-hand reports eagerly awaited.

Cash Flagg

#17 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:19 pm

I'm assuming the Revolver blu-ray is Region B?

bigP

#18 Post by bigP » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:59 am

I'm afraid I only have the DVD set, so can't say with any certainty, but Moviemail lists the Blu set as being Region B - which I would assume to be a pretty trustworthy source.

EDIT: I noticed Moviemail list most of MOC's Blu-Ray line as Region B, so this may be also inaccurate.