Daisatsujin / The Great Killing (Eiichi Kudo, 1964)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Cinephrenic

#1 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:14 pm

I was reading into some chambara samurai period films and came across this film. I haven't seen it, but with the upcoming samurai box from Eclipse and all, has anyone seen this or can talk about it.

Midnight Eye review

Steven H

#2 Post by Steven H » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:24 pm

Yeah, I've seen it and its pretty good, maybe not as good as something like Sword of Doom, but close. Its similar in some ways to Shinoda's Assassination or Samurai Spy in that its thickly plotted, full of intrigue, and very "anti-bushido", I think, though maybe not going as far as Kobayashi or the Okamoto film. All three of the jidai-gekis released this year in France by Kudo Eiichi from Wild Side (13 Assassins and Eleven Samurai being the others) are excellent films with gorgeous black and white scope transfers (French subs only, of course you can find English sub files around if you look.)

Kudo is a figure awaiting (re?)discovery in the samurai film world. He was visually stylish and a great storyteller. There's an informative interview with him in Chris Desjardin's Outlaw Masters of Japanese Film.