Kaabee (Yoji Yamada, 2008)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Kaabee (Yoji Yamada, 2008)

#1 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 pm

Mark Schilling gives Yamada's latest film a rave review.

It turns out this new film is based on the memoir of Teruyo Nogami, Kurosawa's long-time script supervisor. But it isn't about her film career, but her childhood -- back in 1940 -- at the time her father was arrested for the crime of being an insufficiently militariic university professor. The central figure of the film is her mother (played by veteran actress Sayuri Yoshinaga).

Schilling also has a nice little interview with Yamada. Also, the review from Daily Yomiuri.

sidehacker

#2 Post by sidehacker » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:38 am

Sounds great!

I'm sort of glad that Yamada decided to stop making samurai (era) films even though I'm quite content with anything Yamada-related that I can get my hands on. Unfortunately, this probably won't ever come here and even if it does, probably will be another two or three years. Need to get sidetracked by something else until then...

DVD comes out July 25th.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:42 am

There's also a single-disc release. YesAsia says it will have English subtitles, but CDJapan didn't mention this.

sidehacker

#4 Post by sidehacker » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:There's also a single-disc release. YesAsia says it will have English subtitles, but CDJapan didn't mention this.
I'd imagine that very few (if any) of the extras will have English subtitles but it be a bit surprising if the feature itself didn't. Was there subs on the initial Japanese DVD for Love and Honor?

Just watched Kabei. It is indeed wonderful. Like many of Yamada's films, it does border on being a bit sentimental but for overall, it's great. Probably one of Yamada's most comedic efforts as well, with many Tati-inspired moments. Visually, it is not as extravagant as Yamada's earlier films, but I wasn't really expecting it to be. Admittedly, there a subtle beauty to be found within the whole "made for TV" aesthetic. It is more of an actor's film, anyway. Fantastic performances all around.

Sanjuro

#5 Post by Sanjuro » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:28 am

And just to confirm, both versions have English subs on the main feature.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 am

sidehacker wrote:Just watched this. It is indeed wonderful. Like many of Yamada's films, it does border on being a bit sentimental but for overall, it's great. Probably one of Yamada's most comedic efforts as well, with many Tati-inspired moments. Visually, it is not as extravagant as Yamada's earlier films, but I wasn't really expecting it to be. Admittedly, there a subtle beauty to be found within the whole "made for TV" aesthetic. It is more of an actor's film, anyway. Fantastic performances all around.
I loved this, despite a few small niggles (e,g. the final shot of Asano -- and the sometimes overpowering music). I don't see this as having a "made for TV" look any more than the work of Ozu has such a quality.

What I found remarkable was the way Yamada showed. in passing, just how scary life got to be for sane people in the run up to war -- as previously kind and normal neighbors get increasingly infected by war madness.

All the performances here were pretty close to perfect -- from lead roles to walk-ons. The two young actresses did a superb job. The bumpkin uncle from Nara (who looked uncannily like Jiang Wen, from certain angles at least) was also marvelous -- but sadly I haven't figured out yet who this was.

The special edition has lots of very nice extras -- but not even Japanese subtitles.

sidehacker

#7 Post by sidehacker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:33 am

The "made for TV" look doesn't have as much to do with Yamada's technique as it has to do with the film stock. Not a big problem, though.

I, too, thought that the uncle was quite fantastic. The whole "anti-luxury" campaign that he runs into is one of my favorite bits in the whole movie.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:44 am

I also watched a very old Yamada film this week -- Kiri no hata (1965) -- which was also wonderful. At least as good as Nomura's best noir-ish criminal suspense films (which are very good indeed). No subs -- but the underlying novel will be published (in translation) in December (as Pro Bono).

Kaabee ranks up near the top of Yamada's catalog -- standing miles and miles above synthetic crowd-pleasing drivel like Always -- Sunset on Third Street (ersatz Yamada that out-sells the real thing).

Fan-of-Kurosawa

Re: Kaabee (Yoji Yamada, 2008)

#9 Post by Fan-of-Kurosawa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 pm

I just saw this film. (I am ashamed to say that I bought the dvd in October but only yesterday I found the time to actually see it).

Anyway, I found it great. The story, the direction, the acting, the cinematography (the funeral scene is one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen), the music, everything.

The blend of drama and comedy is magnificent. The film of course is mainly a drama but it has many humorous moments. For example, the scene where the neighbourhood people can not decide if they have to bow towards the Imperial Palace or towards another imperial residence is extremely funny.

I would say that anybody who likes the films of Ozu or Kinoshita will definitely like it and should see it pronto. I should also point out that the film reminded me a little bit of Kurosawa's Madadayo. (I know that this is not one of Kurosawa's most celebrated films but I adore it.) :)

I only wish that the 3-disc edition of the film that I own had eng subs on the extras but in this life you can' t have everything.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Kaabee (Yoji Yamada, 2008)

#10 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:32 am

I think Kaabee was the best film of last year -- though Kore'eda's Still Walking (finally seen -- on DVD) provides stiff competition.

Alas the translation of Kiri no hata (called Pro Bono) seems to have run into some problem -- it is now _off_ its publisher's schedule.