Ich Will! & Technicolor Skull (Kenneth Anger, 2008)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Antoine Doinel

Ich Will! & Technicolor Skull (Kenneth Anger, 2008)

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Whether or not it's an expansion of his short film remains to be seen, but Kenneth Anger is debuting two new films at the Donaufestival - Ich Will! and Technicolor Skull, the latter a live performance project featuring among others, Liars.

miless

Re: Ich Will! & Technicolor Skull (Kenneth Anger, 2008)

#2 Post by miless » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Whether or not it's an expansion of his short film remains to be seen, but Kenneth Anger is debuting two new films at the Donaufestival - Ich Will! and Technicolor Skull, the latter a live performance project featuring among others, Liars.
Liars? that's pretty amazing. Kenneth Anger has always done quite an amazing job keeping up with the changing music scene, even when he seems to have disappeared.

buttman

#3 Post by buttman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:28 am

Liars are old news. Kenneth Anger is pretty lame. I saw him recently at a showing of his short movies. Bla bla bla, occult, bla bla, elliot smith, sex magic, mickey mouse. Boring. He sat directly in front of me in the theater. His new videos are nothing but glorified and monotonous youtube art.
Last edited by buttman on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 am

Wow, you registered for that

buttman

#5 Post by buttman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Yep, pretty much. If you are going to make youtube art, you've gotta understand that the key thing about it is that you can have multiple layers of content.

EX: A man gets hit in the balls with a tennis racquet-- cross dissolves into a picture of a baby crying --- warps into a picture of a stripper jiggling her ass.

Those are the key features of any good clip: humiliation, sadness, sex. Just mix em together, maybe add some pictures of food or of dogs being hung alive in china to be sold as imitation mink --- and there you have it, ART!

Come on everybody! You know I'm just trying to pick a fight. Tell me why his movies are worth a damn.

Also, Re: Liars. You all know I'm right. I remember listening to these guys back when Modest Mouse was considered underground (also back when I had bad taste in music). Boring Boring Boring.

I'd like to enjoy his movies. I really would. I just can't see why I should. Convince me, you chickens. Though I'll admit I tend to make kind of absolute judgments on artists (I doubt I'll change my mind about someone who is a fan of Elliot Smith, that whining windbag... yes it's sad he stabbed himself to death in the heart, but that doesn't mean I have to like his sappy music).

buttman

#6 Post by buttman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:31 am

davidhare wrote:Given your webname (which joins an illustriously anal list of people including the sublimely self titled "Bruce Holecheck") I suggest you indulge in substantial quantities of gay sex.

And take some nice drugs.
Perhaps with Mr Anger himself? Those seem to be two of his favorite subjects.

Your post is either meant to be taken seriously, as in, "unwind man!" Or as an insult, as in, "do these gross and stupid things you dumbass!" in which case it seems that we'd be right to form an alliance against the man. You on the bigot front, and I from the position of reasonable artistic criticism (which no one seems interested in addressing). Hoo ha!

Edit - oh, but i shouldn't be putting on airs with Mr 4000 posts! Surely you are my superior, you condescending fuck! =D>

Edit #2 - It just now occurred to me that this guy with 4000 posts probably has a lot of friends on this board (I mean, he's been around since 2004). So, by insulting him, I've also managed to insult probably 80 percent of the message board. I hereby retract any direct insults (though I'll let them stand till time immemorial in internet history, or this website ceases to exist, or some mod deleted the thread, hahah). I still think Anger's movies, and especially his new stuff, is just rotten. Now please, ignore my webname and come defend the man. You, yes you, reading this right now. Why are his movies so good?

buttman

#7 Post by buttman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:17 am

Glad to see I misread you. Well anyway, yeah, I suppose I see what you are getting at. link to discussion?

I'll admit his older stuff is semi-interesting visual poetry, I just sort of fundamentally disagree with his whole approach. Essentially, it seems as if you've gotta enter into his movies with some preconceived ideas and esoteric knowledge to enjoy them (or else just enjoy them purely on the level of eye candy). The best example of this is Lucifer Rising. Unless you know who Aleister Crowley is, the flashes of his face will mean nothing. Unless you are acquainted with general occult ideas regarding aliens, masonry, egypt, etc. the movie just simply doesn't work.

This is the New Films forum, though, and all I really wanted to say was that his new films are rubbish and really reveal the true lack of creativity lurking in Anger, once you roll away the smoke and mirrors. And I challenge anyone to argue otherwise.

Rsdio

#8 Post by Rsdio » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 am

buttman wrote:Also, Re: Liars. You all know I'm right. I remember listening to these guys back when Modest Mouse was considered underground (also back when I had bad taste in music). Boring Boring Boring.
They weren't much to start off with, being just one of many bands pumping out that choppy faux post-punk guitar sound at the time, but they're anything but 'old news' now. Drum's Not Dead is one of the best albums of the decade so far for my money and they're anything but boring, they've changed styles dramatically (and successfully) on every LP they've done.

Quite what Modest Mouse have to do with them I've no idea.

denti alligator

#9 Post by denti alligator » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:01 pm

Man, the Richard Cranium award is gonna be so hard this year.

buttman

#10 Post by buttman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:59 pm

Ok, ok, I admit all I know about the Liars is one track I heard five years ago, alright? I'm just trying to stir up discussion. This is about Anger. Maybe I'm just preaching to the choir, though... I figured more people would be up in arms when I criticized him. Ah well...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:11 pm

buttman wrote: I figured more people would be up in arms when I criticized him. Ah well...
You are but the latest in a long line of shit-stirrers, we've already exhausted all our energy by now and have progressed to merely ignoring posts like yours. However, I'm sure the .com forum is willing to take the bait if you can find anyone there who knows who Kenneth Anger is.

Mr Sausage

#12 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:48 pm

buttman wrote:I'm just trying to stir up discussion.
What's to discuss? You come in, shout that Anger is shit (with no more reasoning than that), and then dare people to respond to you. You're too rude to provoke anyone into real discourse with you, and since you've explicitly stated you're not going to change your mind on the matter, no one's going to feel compelled to take up the cause for the sake of it.

Honestly, you should be quiet. We've had such a year of outrageous blockheads and raging dickheads that your provocations are boring. You haven't even come close to topping anything done in the last few months. As far as criterionforum provocations go, yours is barely second rate. No reason to go on.

Adam

#13 Post by Adam » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:57 am

All true. Also, evaluating Anger on the basis of anything he's done in the last ten years is ridiculous. His recent films generally aren't very good. Watch the ones made before 1975. And then, of course, I don't care whether you like them or not. Not all films are for all tastes anyway.