Awards Season 2014

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
htom

Re: Awards Season 2014

#201 Post by htom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:40 am

jojo wrote:Since How to Train Your Dragon 2 won at the Golden Globes, and now The Lego Movie gets snubbed at the Oscars, the conspiracy theorists have to suspect there's some push for HTTYD2 to win it.

Although it won't stop me from hoping Kaguya scores an upset win.
Wasn't it made clear the year that Kung Fu Panda essentially swept the Annies over Wall-E that DreamWorks made sure all of their production crew were both registered to vote and did so? I thought this would be the same deal, though I'm not sure who gets to vote on the final ballot...

Fingers crossed for Kaguya-hime no Monogatari as well.

Ribs

#202 Post by Ribs » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Gotta say, the cadre of people complaining about the Oscars rewarding exclusively niche stuff this year are looking might foolish with American Sniper's bafflingly high weekend (performing more on track with something like Captain America than even Gravity). In just yesterday and today alone it should outdo Gravity's opening weekend and go close to doubling it over the four days.

The Grand Budapest Hotel being the most mainstream of the Oscar nominees this year was very short-lived, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

ordinaryperson

#203 Post by ordinaryperson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:40 pm

I think Boyhood and Birdman were 10x more mainstream than TGBH.

wattsup32

#204 Post by wattsup32 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:14 pm

ordinaryperson wrote:I think Boyhood and Birdman were 10x more mainstream than TGBH.
It isn't clear how you're defining "mainstream", but the box office numbers say The Grand Budapest Hotel alone earned more than BIrdman and Boyhood combined--and that's still true if you take Birdman and Boyhood's total and then add $6 million.

Edited for correct box office.
Last edited by wattsup32 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

knives

#205 Post by knives » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:30 am

No unless somehow 50 is half of 60.

flyonthewall2983

#206 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:03 am

Ribs wrote:Gotta say, the cadre of people complaining about the Oscars rewarding exclusively niche stuff this year are looking might foolish with American Sniper's bafflingly high weekend (performing more on track with something like Captain America than even Gravity). In just yesterday and today alone it should outdo Gravity's opening weekend and go close to doubling it over the four days.
I can't wait for the film's target audience to complain and accuse Hollywood of liberal bias when the film comes out empty-handed Oscar night.

Ribs

#207 Post by Ribs » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:26 am

And, just when this season started to appear uninteresting, we get a major curveball in the Producer's Guild giving the top prize to Birdman.

The season just got exciting again.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#208 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:39 am

I'd be so shocked if it weren't Boyhood, but maybe proponents of that and The Grand Budapest Hotel are splitting votes.

Ribs

#209 Post by Ribs » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:27 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I'd be so shocked if it weren't Boyhood, but maybe proponents of that and The Grand Budapest Hotel are splitting votes.
I think the tiered voting is playing against Boyhood, as I'd guess fans of Birdman and Budapest are more likely to list the other above Boyhood (as the films are more generally similar). (Similarly; American Sniper's (likely steadily increasing amount) votes won't be likely to go to the ultra-liberal Boyhood)

What would really be insane and throw everything askew is if the Best Ensemble award tonight at the SAG awards went to Budapest. Then it would really become an anybody's-game scenario between the three of them.

At the very least it appears all hopes of an Imitation Game upset are dead in the water.

hearthesilence

#210 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Actors make up the biggest voting bloc in the Academy, isn't that correct? Given the overlap with SAG and the previous PGA win, I think Birdman is now a solid front runner for Best Picture.

Ribs

#211 Post by Ribs » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:31 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Actors make up the biggest voting bloc in the Academy, isn't that correct? Given the overlap with SAG and the previous PGA win, I think Birdman is now a solid front runner for Best Picture.
Yes, they do, but producers/executives make up a similarly-sized chunk.

I think the biggest threat comes from American Sniper, which might not win categories but the kind of members that would list it at the top for Best Picture are not likely to list a film as openly left-leaning as Boyhood immediately below it on their ballot. That's likely to account for at least some of Boyhood's decline in the past week or two.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#212 Post by lacritfan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:05 am

Well anyone outside Eddie Redmayne, Julianne Moore, J.K. Simmons and Patricia Arquette would be an upset at this point.
hearthesilence wrote:Actors make up the biggest voting bloc in the Academy, isn't that correct? Given the overlap with SAG and the previous PGA win, I think Birdman is now a solid front runner for Best Picture.
The last ten years the SAG award winner won the Oscar roughly half the time. The PGA winner has won the last seven years in a row though...
I don't see the older Academy members "getting" Birdman though so I think Best Pic is still up in the air.

GaryC

#213 Post by GaryC » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:49 pm

GaryC wrote:Nominees for Best Film at the AACTA Awards, to be given out in Sydney on 29 January:

The Babadook
Charlie's Country
Predestination
The Railway Man
Tracks
The Water Diviner

Interesting list. I've seen all except Predestination and The Water Diviner, the two which haven't opened in the UK yet.
And the winners are, in a tie, The Babadook and The Water Diviner. Full list of feature-film winners:

BEST FILM: The Babadook: Kristina Ceyton And Kristian Moliere; The Water Diviner: Andrew Mason, Keith Rodger And Troylum
BEST DIRECTION: The Babadook: Jennifer Kent
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: The Babadook: Jennifer Kent
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: The Railway Man: Frank Cottrell Boyce, Andy Paterson
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Predestination: Ben Nott ACS
BEST EDITING: Predestination: Matt Villa ASE
BEST SOUND: The Rover: Sam Petty, Des Kenneally, Justine Angus,Brooke Trezise, Francis Ward Lindsay And Robert Mackenzie
BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE: The Railway Man: David Hirschfelder
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: Predestination: Matthew Putland
BEST COSTUME DESIGN: The Water Diviner: Tess Schofield
BEST LEAD ACTOR: David Gulpilil: Charlie’s Country
BEST LEAD ACTRESS: Sarah Snook: Predestination
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Yilmaz Erdogan: The Water Diviner
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Susan Prior: The Rover
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS OR ANIMATION: The Lego Movie: Chris Mckay, Amber Naismith, Aidan Sarsfield, Grant Freckelton

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#214 Post by lacritfan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:45 am

hearthesilence

#215 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:37 pm

BAFTA winners

Actually a solid set of picks, the only thing that feels egregious is a mediocrity like The Theory of Everything representing the "best" of British cinema. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with that film - even with the talent it had, it felt like a thin, dumbed-down version of Hawking's story done with little imagination, not unless you count lifting a famous close-up or two from the same Jean-Luc Godard film (the coffee, the burning embers). Mr. Turner's snub feels all the more ridiculous - it may not be one of Leigh's masterpieces, but it's easily better than any of the other biopics in every possible way.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#216 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Wow, even with the tide turning I did not expect that to happen. I can't believe the weird and wonderful Birdman really might end up taking Best Picture, what a world we live in!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#217 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:50 pm

I was browsing the Gold Derby forums to gauge their crazed responses to the recent turnabouts and spotted this post which I thought was actually pretty cute:
THE BEST PICTURE NOMINEES AS IF THEY WERE SCHOOL COURSES

American Sniper: Gym
Birdman: Drama Club
Boyhood: Biology
The Grand Budapest Hotel: Art
The Imitation Game: History
Selma: Social Studies
The Theory of Everything: Mathematics
Whiplash: Music

hearthesilence

#218 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Whiplash would be one of the rare instances where the music teacher also coached the football team.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#219 Post by lacritfan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:23 pm

I now have the image of J.K. Simmons yelling and hurling dodge balls at Bradley Cooper's head. "Come on pretty boy! FOCUS! You piece of shit!"

eerik

#220 Post by eerik » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:17 pm

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#221 Post by lacritfan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:51 am

FrauBlucher

#222 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:04 pm

This evening, ASC hands out it's awards. The following is an interesting video clip on the 5 nominees.

FrauBlucher

#223 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:50 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#224 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Can you guess which four of the eight Best Picture nominees pass the Bechdel Test?
SpoilerShow
FAILED: American Sniper, the Grand Budapest Hotel, the Imitation Game, Whiplash
PASSED: Birdman, Boyhood, Selma, the Theory of Everything

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#225 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:05 pm

The only measure less relevant than an Oscar nomination!