Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
TechnicolorAcid

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#1051 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:06 pm

For the Buñuel title I’m gonna make the wildest guess possible, DG for Death in the Garden packaged with Las Hurdes since it’s a bolded as a box set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1052 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:08 pm

Already released by MoC and Kino (and not really worth another release)

TechnicolorAcid

#1053 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:46 pm

Drat

What A Disgrace

#1054 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:54 pm

The Masters.of Cinema release is out of print.

TMDaines

#1055 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:12 pm

I’ve been drawing a blank on SMPO as any sort of acronym. I’m wondering if the answer is just right there in front of us and it is Sampo (1959)?

TMDaines

#1056 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:14 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:54 pm
Radiance don’t strike me as wanting to waste much of their capacity on titles that have already been well served, considering they trumpet their “Blu-ray firsts” very proudly. I’d be somewhat surprised if they spent time bringing that back again.

TechnicolorAcid

#1057 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:47 pm

What if there is no actual hint on this year’s spreadsheet of clues for Buñuel, it’s insane I know but hypothetically, because Fran already announced the Buñuel for 2023 maybe he didn’t want to put it on it again since he knows that people already know they’ll have a Buñuel pop up somewhere in their lineup. Again a wild theory and one that’s most likely not true but if it was a Buñuel, then why wouldn’t they had either put BUN again on the clues sheet again or you know, have any of the hints work with a single Buñuel title.

dwk

#1058 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:06 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
The Kino is also OOP.

Matt

#1059 Post by Matt » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:29 pm

Could it be the bride wearing white is Viridiana?

hearthesilence

#1060 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:51 pm

dwk wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:06 pm
What A Disgrace wrote:
The Kino is also OOP.
Death in the Garden? Still available in their store (for $9.99 too).

TechnicolorAcid

#1061 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:58 pm

The reason it’s $9.99 is because it’s at a Clearance Price before it becomes OOP.

TechnicolorAcid

#1062 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:01 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:12 pm
I’ve been drawing a blank on SMPO as any sort of acronym. I’m wondering if the answer is just right there in front of us and it is Sampo (1959)?
The Road to Sampo possibly?

TMDaines

#1063 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:41 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:29 pm
Could it be the bride wearing white is Viridiana?
Maybe it is one of those infamous Criterion double clues? I kid, but TL is apparently not the film announced last month and there will be another TL, according to the other forum.

In this case, I think the Truffaut allusion is too neat to be anything apart from one of his films, especially as the clue evokes the title of a film they have already released.

rrenault

#1064 Post by rrenault » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:39 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm
This might be of interest to Radiance:

Tamasa Films in France have Chabrol´s Les Bonnes Femmes, Nelly Kaplan´s La Fiancee du Pirate and three other films starring Bernadette Lafont. The online trailer clips look restored, with a bit of Hiventy/Eclair turquoise/yellow:
https://www.tamasa-cinema.com/film/bern ... domptable/

Tamasa also has 11 Carlos Saura films ("The Rebel Years 1966-1980) on release:
https://www.tamasa-cinema.com/film/carl ... 1966-1980/

On the World Noir front, there is L´Arme à gauche (Sautet/Ventura):
https://www.tamasa-cinema.com/film/arme-a-gauche-l/

These re-releases imply new or newish restorations, and perhaps available rights.

I quite like Sautet´s later dramas, such as Vincent, Paul, Francois et les autres... (starring Montand and Reggiani) and the series with Romy Schneider. These are finely written and acted, but perhaps do not fit in Radiance´s programming. What label might be a good home for these films, and films like them, such as Pierre Granier-Deferre´s and Tavernier´s Simenon adaptations (Le Train, L´Etoile du Nord, Le Chat, L´Horloger de St Paul)? Just a spontaneous reflection.
Those seventies and eighties Sautet dramas are StudioCanal properties, and they don’t typically license out physical home media rights to European boutiques.

therewillbeblus

#1065 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:59 pm

Radiance is having a site sale right now - and some partner label releases are part of it.

Curious to get impressions on any of the Raro Video/Mawu films (i.e.Gang War in Milan, Night of the Devils, and Man Marked for Death, 20 Years Later). I can personally recommend Arrebato

Stefan Andersson

#1066 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:13 pm

rrenault wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:39 am
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm
This might be of interest to Radiance:

Tamasa Films in France have Chabrol´s Les Bonnes Femmes, Nelly Kaplan´s La Fiancee du Pirate and three other films starring Bernadette Lafont. The online trailer clips look restored, with a bit of Hiventy/Eclair turquoise/yellow:
https://www.tamasa-cinema.com/film/bern ... domptable/

Tamasa also has 11 Carlos Saura films ("The Rebel Years 1966-1980) on release:
https://www.tamasa-cinema.com/film/carl ... 1966-1980/

On the World Noir front, there is L´Arme à gauche (Sautet/Ventura):
https://www.tamasa-cinema.com/film/arme-a-gauche-l/

These re-releases imply new or newish restorations, and perhaps available rights.

I quite like Sautet´s later dramas, such as Vincent, Paul, Francois et les autres... (starring Montand and Reggiani) and the series with Romy Schneider. These are finely written and acted, but perhaps do not fit in Radiance´s programming. What label might be a good home for these films, and films like them, such as Pierre Granier-Deferre´s and Tavernier´s Simenon adaptations (Le Train, L´Etoile du Nord, Le Chat, L´Horloger de St Paul)? Just a spontaneous reflection.
Those seventies and eighties Sautet dramas are StudioCanal properties, and they don’t typically license out physical home media rights to European boutiques.
Hi rrenault! Thank you very much for the update about StudioCanal and Sautet titles! Please excuse my delayed reply.

Finch

#1067 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

Another stock update

Finch

#1068 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:51 am

Latest clue: "Next month, the Panic is on!"

rapta

#1069 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:58 am

Finch wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:51 am
Latest clue: "Next month, the Panic is on!"
Ray Milland's Panic in Year Zero confirmed (from the teaser list, 'PY0'). Brilliant news!

TMDaines

#1070 Post by TMDaines » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:50 am

Updated the master teasers list. Tchao Pantin appears to be unteased.

Another Truffaut makes me think SOA is increasingly The Story of Adele H..

rapta

#1071 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:51 am

TMDaines wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:50 am
Updated the master teasers list. Tchao Pantin appears to be unteased.

Another Truffaut makes me think SOA is increasingly The Story of Adele H..
Yes, I'd be surprised if SOA isn't exactly that. In fact, when it was revealed two French titles were being announced today, I thought we'd get two Truffauts in one month, so the Berri was a surprise.

I wonder if the Berri is the start of a Pathé deal, in which case I would hope for some Carné (finally a definitive release of Les enfants du paradis?) and maybe even some British (Hunger, Ratcatcher, The Wind That Shakes the Barley) and Spanish (All About My Mother, Tie Me Up Tie Me Down) films...

Btw, I think the two Petri films are quite likely to be A Quiet Place in the Country and We Still Kill the Old Way as they're both available from MGM via Park Circus (and might be part of this same deal with the Truffaut, Ashby etc). I also hope we'll be getting more Fun City titles here as part of this deal, as there were several from MGM they did that I'd like to see ported over here (Born to Kill, Rancho Deluxe, Smile, Heartbreakers, The Coca Cola Kid, Alphabet City; maybe Breathless too if Second Sight don't still have the rights).

Also, I've got JCB down as Fukasaku's Japan [Organised] Crime Boss, and SM as Symbol of a Man (series of Nikkatsu films). Let's wait and see if either of those appear...I notice you have RB as Bresson too, I'm very hopeful for at least one of his from Radiance (I'm guessing either Lancelot du Lac or The Devil, Probably).

Lastly, I've pointed out elsewhere that PDC and MH could be for Puzzle of a Downfall Child and Melvin & Howard, respectively, which would open things up for a Universal deal. Of their library, I'd expect to see things like Taking Off and Minnie & Moskowitz, assuming materials are up to scratch, but I'd also love to see at least one Coen Brothers (namely The Hudsucker Proxy, which would be a UK Blu-ray premiere). I know Fran is a fan of the brothers, so fingers crossed...

PPS: The teaser in this month's newsletter is 'Next month the Panic is on!', so that's Panic in Year Zero pretty much confirmed.

dadaistnun

#1072 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:46 am

I haven't the slightest clue as to whether it would be feasible rights-wise, but Ana Urushadze's Scary Mother feels like a good fit for Radiance. It's delightfully odd, darkly funny, and features an extraordinary performance by Nato Murvanidze. I can't wait to see what Urushadze does next. This film, her debut, came out in 2017 and I haven't seen any indication of a disc release anywhere.

(I was looking into who distributed the film and came across this Facebook post from 2018 where it appears Artizm was severing ties with Alief who at one point at least was handling worldwide sales.)

Dr Amicus

#1073 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:16 pm

Adele H was mostly filmed here in Guernsey, screenings would usually sell out whenever there was a public screening. Many locals were extras and some are still alive. The bank in the film is actually the local library, where Mrs Amicus now works.

I believe most of the cast and crew stayed at the same hotel, one of the best on the island. Truffaut ran a film night on, iirc, Friday nights in one of the rooms.

Finch

#1074 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:33 pm

rapta, there was no need to quote me directly since my post was right above yours. That's not the sort of thing I need to be getting notifications for.

Seems like I'm the only one excited for more Tai Kato. Maybe everyone else feels the Japanese genre titles are overlapping too much with each other in terms of genre and styles? I think it's great that Fran was following Tom Mes's recommendations of The Sting of Death, The Shape of Night and A Story Written With Water as there is a market for those relationship dramas too but those three are not for me. Life has been rough the last few years and I want more escapism from my movies nowadays, and Radiance's genre selections make me a very happy man. They're literally the only label I'm buying from on an almost monthly basis.

rapta

#1075 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:44 pm

Sorry, Finch. Old habit from another forum...

FWIW, I'm grateful for all these Japanese announcements, but the Kato and genre stuff is certainly more appealing. The Bounty Hunter set looks especially fun, as does Shinobi and Black Tight Killers. Maybe I'll have a little session of a few of these one of these days (nearly watched BTK the other night but opted for Eureka's The Swordsman of all Swordsmen instead).