It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 am 

I just use it to stream things or browse some the interesting lists and not so much the social aspects,
so even though I preferred TheAuteurs and found mubi weird - I didn't really care about the name change.

Then I read this link,
Ovader wrote:

I might be over-analyzing but I find the new name kind of racist.. "haha dumb Europeans/Asians/whatever can't pronounce English properly".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm 
Dot Com Dom

ATTN MODS: Can we get the Auteurs to change their name back so we can stop getting their awful posters here?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:30 am 

domino harvey wrote:
ATTN MODS: Can we get the Auteurs to change their name back so we can stop getting their awful posters here?

Seconded

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:58 am 

I don't think that'll stop it. You get one then more come, it's like a plague. Look, you fools, we're in danger! Can't you see?! They're after you! They're after all of us! Our wives, our children, everyone! THEY'RE HERE, ALREADY!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 am 

Murdoch wrote:
I don't think that'll stop it. You get one then more come, it's like a plague. Look, you fools, we're in danger! Can't you see?! They're after you! They're after all of us! Our wives, our children, everyone! THEY'RE HERE, ALREADY!

Great, an Arizonan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:44 pm 

domino harvey wrote:

Don't despair until Demetrius shows up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:01 pm 

Good, makes it easier for me to find stuff on Luke Haines; less Google pollution.

As for the site, never used it so no comment. Now the forums, I've checked them out a couple of times. They're smart in a junior high school sort of way, you can't fault the people who frequent it for that, that's just who they are. They're the sort of people who list Chabon, Foer and Eggers as their favorite modern writers. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but not a whole lot right either. It is what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:47 pm 

email today from them:
Quote:
The Auteurs Presents: Agnès Varda Retrospective

curious that the name change is so half-assed....it also says

The AUTERES

by MUBI

at the bottom. very odd.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 am 

Part of the site is still under The Auteurs cognomen... though it seesm spelling it is a big a problem as pronouncing it...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:01 pm 

In my forumless desperation yesterday, I wandered over to Mubi to see what others had to say about the November release slate. I found this comment amusing:

Quote:
I cannot wait!!!!! This might actually be my first month of having to buy all the Criterion releases. (Except “Antichrist”….I saw that on IFC and didn't really care for it.)

So, um, it will be just another month then.

I am kind of sad though that we don't have a thread here called "So how many of you think Tarkovsky was murdered?"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:28 pm 

swo17 wrote:
In my forumless desperation yesterday, I wandered over to Mubi to see what others had to say about the November release slate. I found this comment amusing:

Quote:
I cannot wait!!!!! This might actually be my first month of having to buy all the Criterion releases. (Except “Antichrist”….I saw that on IFC and didn't really care for it.)

So, um, it will be just another month then.

I am kind of sad though that we don't have a thread here called "So how many of you think Tarkovsky was murdered?"

The OP would probably go something like"
"Some think Tarkovsky was murdered.
Discuss."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm 

Does the MUBI streaming programming have anything to do with CC output? Recently they had Beiniex movies streaming, and they got my hopes up for a Diva BD to replace my CC Diva laserdisc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 pm 

possible format "restructuring" afoot at the mubi forum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:57 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Mubi has standards of discussion?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:33 am 

domino harvey wrote:

Sure they do. Where else in the world can you get a bunch of Ray Carney fanatics and people who consider who consider anything Hollywood useless and have them discuss discuss the latest Kanye West video or spout hyperbolic statements about movies?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 am 

domino harvey wrote:

Okay, this thread made me go back over there for the first time in months. I checked out a thread on Danny Elfman & found:
Quote:
Forgetting all the other smaller scale and numerous other countless scores he’s written over the years.

There's an example of the standards...
Oh, and I'd forgotten how fond most posters over there are of the phrase "based off of."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:16 pm 
Dot Com Dom

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
domino harvey wrote:

Sure they do. Where else in the world can you get a bunch of Ray Carney fanatics and people who consider who consider anything Hollywood useless and have them discuss discuss the latest Kanye West video or spout hyperbolic statements about movies?

That just makes me miss having Ray Carney to kick around. RIP His horrible university mailbag blog thing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:19 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
That just makes me miss having Ray Carney to kick around. RIP His horrible university mailbag blog thing

Say what you like about that guy, he's got one of the funniest wikipedia pages around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Oh man, that quote about his own students is amazing. Funny how he never mentioned that, what is almost surely the reason they took his university webspace away, and blamed it on a war of ideas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:20 pm 

sophomoric and slightly offensive "humour" at the mubi forum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:41 am 

So being a bit addicted once again to John Ford, aside from watching the ones I've already seen, I've finally been getting around to seeing the ones I've always been meaning to see like My Darling Clementine, The Iron Horse and tonight, Young Mr. Lincoln. I use MUBI in the most anti-social sense where I use it mostly to keep track of all I've seen and to see what a few of my friends think of certain films. Of course, I give the postings about Young Mr. Lincoln in once through and come about this gem.

Quote:
Gorgeously made, but terribly artificial. Fonda's ridiculous performance makes me wish John Wilkes Booth had been around 40 years early.

This is what I mean by hyperbolic statements on MUBI. And then look for that same user posting about the genius of Sweeney Todd.

So many of the people on the Goddamn site are so picky too. It makes me question why are they even interested in cinema if they can't enjoy The Searchers or All That Heaven Allows! And don't get me started on the Ray Carney fanatics that hold him and his views on art higher than the artists themselves. Do these people even have there own opinions or thoughts or are they just good at regurgitating what that man says? And let's admit it, when a film professor, not a director or actor or anyone directly involved in the medium, is your avatar, it's a bit extreme.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm 

A bizarrely derailed "discussion" on the mubi forum!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 pm 
Not PETA approved

Does that forum have no quote function? Or moderators, for that matter?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:00 pm 

A disgruntled mubi contributor!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:27 am 

ambrose wrote:
Since I posted this link the contributor in question has removed the disgruntled comment's from his profile!.(Perhaps there is a lesson for me in that fact!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next