It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: a long the riverrun
Just what are Vishnevetsky's qualifications? Based on his reviews at Mubi, he doesn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable or discerning. Then again, he can't be worse than Roeper was.


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT
fdm wrote:
Markson wrote:
Has this not been mentioned here? Mubi's Ignatiy Vishnevetsky is co-hosting At The Movies.

Right, and for his first week on the show he gave every movie a thumbs up. :roll:

It's helpful to mention that they reviewed a full slate of January releases, including No Strings Attached, The Dilemma, and The Green Hornet.

Wasn't Elvis Mitchell supposed to be filling this position? Why the hell didn't that happen?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
You know, thumbs up and thumbs down leaves a lot of elbow room. He didn't gush all over every film he reviewed the first week, most just fell into the B- category.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:25 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
You know, thumbs up and thumbs down leaves a lot of elbow room. He didn't gush all over every film he reviewed the first week, most just fell into the B- category.

So waste your money to go see it even if it's really just a rental at best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Dudes, I didn't invent the successful decades-long format of Ebert's show


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:25 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Dudes, I didn't invent the successful decades-long format of Ebert's show

Somebody should let the Mubi dude know what it means then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
It's always been that way. Films that Ebert would give three stars or above, sometimes even films he'd give an enthusiastic 2 and a half, would get a thumbs up on the show. You don't think anyone explained the format of the show to this guy? Jeez, some people are really jealous of a young film critic getting a big break, it's absolutely bizarre to see the backlash. He was perfectly fine in the first week considering the circumstances. Nobody seems equally bummed that Lemire gave a thumbs down with varying levels of dislike to each film that came up last week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
I don't really have a horse in this race but I think most people here (justly) just hate Mubi. If Amy Adams and Jean-Luc Godard collaborated on a praise project for Mubi I'd still lead the charge


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
I have absolutely no opinion on Mubi, I can only really go off of how the show went last week. I have never been to Mubi, and frankly, the main page seems annoying enough for me to stay away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT
mfunk9786 wrote:
It's always been that way. Films that Ebert would give three stars or above, sometimes even films he'd give an enthusiastic 2 and a half, would get a thumbs up on the show. You don't think anyone explained the format of the show to this guy? Jeez, some people are really jealous of a young film critic getting a big break, it's absolutely bizarre to see the backlash. He was perfectly fine in the first week considering the circumstances. Nobody seems equally bummed that Lemire gave a thumbs down with varying levels of dislike to each film that came up last week.

It wasn't just the thumbs. I might have expected Lemire to like at least one of the films, but she just seemed more relaxed and relatable to me. But yeah, it's his first week, not just on this show, but on TV period, and I'm sure he must have been a little nervous. I'm willing to give him a chance and I hope the show finds its footing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
That is why this guy is my member of the year for two years running.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, UK
To quote Futurama:

Quote:
"We can't compete! Her company is big and evil. We're small and neutral"

"Switzerland is small and neutral. We're more like Germany: ambitious and misunderstood"

"Look, everyone wants to be like Germany, but do we really have the pure strength of will?" (makes fist and punches palm for emphasis)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: where the simulacrum is true
Donald Brown wrote:
Just what are Vishnevetsky's qualifications? Based on his reviews at Mubi, he doesn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable or discerning. Then again, he can't be worse than Roeper was.

You should become acquainted with his excellent blog, Sounds, Images. I for one was quite excited when I heard he got the job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:58 pm
Elvis Mitchell was originally hired as Lemire's co-star, but he left the show (or was dropped, whichever) and is now doing something for Movieline (which I was amazed to discover is still something that exists as an internet web site).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT
John Cope wrote:
You should become acquainted with his excellent blog, Sounds, Images. I for one was quite excited when I heard he got the job.

Wow, that's certainly a completely different side of him. I can see now why Ebert picked him for the show. Though it's kind of sad to me that the reward for an intense personal interest in world film history is a gig having to watch and treat seriously every mainstream film released in America.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:17 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: a long the riverrun
John Cope wrote:
Donald Brown wrote:
Just what are Vishnevetsky's qualifications? Based on his reviews at Mubi, he doesn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable or discerning. Then again, he can't be worse than Roeper was.

You should become acquainted with his excellent blog, Sounds, Images. I for one was quite excited when I heard he got the job.

What do you find excellent about that blog? It offers nothing unexpected and only reinforces my low opinion of Vishnevetsky.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Donald Brown's blog offers much more. Especially unexpected stuff. A lot of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 pm
Does anyone know what's happened to Mubi? It used to have a huge range of films for something like £7 per month. Last time I looked, it's a revolving 30. I was thinking of subscribing, I quite like the idea of a Netflix/Lovefilm that's more arthouse/foreign language based. Does anyone know if anyone else is doing what they used to?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:58 pm
Fandor does something similar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 pm
Thanks. Looks like it's US only though (I'm from London).

Looks like Curzon On Demand does this, though they charge per film rather than a flat membership rate. Most are £2 per film though so maybe I should try this.

Matt wrote:
Fandor does something similar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 am
Location: high in the Custerdome
thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Does anyone know what's happened to Mubi? It used to have a huge range of films for something like £7 per month. Last time I looked, it's a revolving 30. I was thinking of subscribing, I quite like the idea of a Netflix/Lovefilm that's more arthouse/foreign language based. Does anyone know if anyone else is doing what they used to?

Must be some kind of a local rights thing in the UK - all 100+ films on my watchlist are still available (I'm in Scandinavia). But there haven't really been any new additions in months for my area at least.

Now the really fucking irritating thing about MUBI is that their rights for the films will lapse without any warning - I've had that happen for dozens of films on my queue - there's no way of knowing which ones will disappear and when. Surely they must know beforehand, should think it would be good for business to put little "x days left" counters on the film pages...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:15 pm
There's a lot of things that MUBI doesn't do right in terms of streaming, for example no Roku support in the US. I've just recently started a trial with Fandor and I like it. They have a great curated selection and a lot more films than MUBI. I do think/hope that a true cinephile pay streaming website will eventually come along that is well-developed and considered, but I don't think any of the websites that are out there have that potential yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:10 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 am
Location: high in the Custerdome
Oh I think MUBI has potential, if they just fixed those couple of issues - there's loads of great stuff on there (at least for European users): lots of Iranian, Turkish and Chinese films, almost the entire works of Varda, most of Balabanov's work, some Raúl Ruiz, lots of experimental shorts. Some of Miguel Gomes' earlier shorts seem to be up as well. I must admit that about 80% of the stuff I have no idea what they are, but I'm sure there are discoveries to be made there. In fact, I have to take this opportunity to plug the excellent Together by Nicolás Pereda, one of my greatest recent discoveries - has anyone seen Greatest Hits yet?

Plus there's good writing to be found from the actual contributors, but the less said about the forums the better (last time I looked anyway)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:23 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:52 pm
How are those of you who use Mubi handling the new layout?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mubi
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:41 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 am
Location: high in the Custerdome
I don't mind the visual side of it, but I'm not sure it was a good idea to ditch the entire structure. The streaming service will obviously be a lot less useful with this new system, although there is probably the upside of getting around to actually watching the currently available films instead of just adding them to your watchlist! Apart from streaming a hard-to-find film now and then, I only ever read the Notebook over there, which is fortunately still intact.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection