It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:00 pm 

Another thing that despite not paying close attention to on each viewing, is subtly disorienting enough that I consider it an arrow in the film's quiver.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:16 pm 

I couldn't find any specific article that satisfied every idea I wanted to convey but simply googling "The Overlook Hotel doesn't make sense" should give you a lot of things to look at.

As I've aged and my rose tinted glasses fell off I've thought less of some of Kubrick's film (Namely A Clockwork Orange) but the one thing I'll defend without question is that from the technical standpoint the man was a wizard. The version of the Overlook Hotel in Kubrick's film is a bizarre house of horrors made by someone who certainly seemed to know exactly what they were doing. It's all one giant disorienting illusion. You step outside and it's one building. You go inside and it's another one entirely. I know this is a common technique for things but I think it's a great example of it being used to disorient.

The Shining is not however a carefully coded message by Kubrick to relay to the world that he helped NASA fake the Moon Landing. If you're willing to lose some brain cells check out one of the hottest takes you'll ever see.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:07 pm 

Big Ben wrote:
Kubrick constructed it like one of those Carnival houses you go to have your senses messed with.

Well, and then there's this:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:07 pm 

Big Ben wrote:
Can you even get the shorter version anywhere?

Here

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:36 pm 

Big Ben wrote:
Can you even get the shorter version anywhere?

Up until very recently (and even then, only in a specific-store-only exclusive edition) the shorter cut was the only version you could get in the UK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6