Film Restoration

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Erikht

Film Restoration

#1 Post by Erikht » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:17 am

I I digitize a reel, can the file be used to restore the film, or would I need the original film to do the restauration? In other words, can I bin it after digitizing it?

Oedipax

Re: Can a film be restored...

#2 Post by Oedipax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 am

Erm, don't bin film!

The answer is that restoration is done both ways, depending on the budget/intentions of the project. A negative can be photochemically restored or worked on digitally. If you're doing a digital restoration you're going to be limited by the quality of the scanning (resolution) and the codec used to store it (uncompressed, lossy, etc).

What are you trying to restore?

MichaelB

Re: Can a film be restored...

#3 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 am

Yes, don't ever bin the film if you can possibly avoid it.

Even if you're doing an 8K scan to the highest current technical standards (and I'm guessing you're not), you can never be sure what future technology will bring - and there's a desperately sad example at the start of the BFI's second COI volume Design for Today of a film (the hilarious Joyce Grenfell vehicle Designing Women) that now only exists as a poor-quality analogue tape master.

Either the original 35mm film was lost after it was transferred or it was deliberately destroyed under the misguided impression that the film would only ever be screened from analogue tape from then on, but neither the COI nor the BFI have a copy any more - and it's hard to think who else would. At least it survives in some form, so it's not quite a total tragedy, but it could obviously look much, much better.

Erikht

Re: Film Restoration

#4 Post by Erikht » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:13 am

Okay, I will see if the owners will allow the films to be taken out of the country after digitazion, and if The Norwegian National Libarary will agree to keep them in their facilities.

FrauBlucher

#5 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:28 pm

FrauBlucher

#6 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:00 pm

movielocke

#7 Post by movielocke » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Yes it's a shame the other studios have been unable or unwilling to replicate the phenomenal warner model.

hanshotfirst1138

#8 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:12 am

movielocke wrote:
Yes it's a shame the other studios have been unable or unwilling to replicate the phenomenal warner model.
Sadly, the state of the market for catalog titles right now probably does. It encourage studios.