Revival Screenings of Classic/Cult Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
HistoryProf

Re: Revival Screenings of Classic/Cult Films

#26 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:20 am

Had a chance to see Casablanca on a VERY large screen at a refurbished Cinemark in Metro KC last week and it was fantastic. I *think* it was digital...but it was hard to tell actually. I hadn't seen the picture in years and had forgotten how funny it is. Claude Raines steals the show for sure. and my goodness, those eyes on Ingrid. Good stuff.

I wish theaters did more of this kind of thing - their "classic series" has been hit and miss with things like Forrest Gump one week, West Side story the next, then American Beauty, then Lawrence of Arabia. But it's heartening that a national chain is at least doing it. Next week is the Godfather, but they don't show anything else beyond that, so I hope this wasn't a one-time thing. There was a surprisingly large crowd and quite a bit of applause at the end.

it appears to be a national programming thing on Wednesdays at most Cinemark - anyone know if they are continuing it?

matrixschmatrix

#27 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:54 am

I'd imagine so, as it's an extension of a series that's been going on for some time- and yeah, I'm almost positive it's digital, as XD is a digital-only format. Neat, though.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#28 Post by Brian C » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:44 pm

HistoryProf wrote:Had a chance to see Casablanca on a VERY large screen at a refurbished Cinemark in Metro KC last week and it was fantastic. I *think* it was digital...but it was hard to tell actually.
Yes, it was, definitely. Cinemark is fully digital outside of (perhaps) a handful of discount theatres and at least a handful of IMAX screens.

Also, a 35mm print would have most likely been in pretty bad shape, at least relative to the (what I resume was a) pristine DCP.
it appears to be a national programming thing on Wednesdays at most Cinemark - anyone know if they are continuing it?
Yes, the next series has been announced, and contains Raging Bull, The Graduate, Blazing Saddles, and Alien. Maybe not in that order.

HistoryProf

#29 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Some good choices....will see Alien for sure. They put Lawrence on their XD screen and it was impressive, hopefully they do the same with Alien. My dad took me to see it in the theater when I was 9. scare me out of my gourd and I loved it.

Nevertheless, I was hoping to get some more truly classic fare...there is just nothing better than something like Casablanca on the big screen. They need to include something like Treasure of the Sierra Madre in each cycle along with more modern selections. Touch of Evil is one i'd love to see, but probably not well known enough. I'm happy to know they are continuing it though. Odd that these four still aren't on their website.

Oh, and yes, Casablanca was indeed pristine. The glycerin tears of Ingrid Bergman were a sight to behold.

beamish13

#30 Post by beamish13 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Huge Burt Lancaster centennial retrospective continues at the Billy Wilder Theater/Hammer Museum in Los Angeles. Includes screenings of
a number of Universal titles that are completely unavailable, including KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS and CATTLE ANNIE & LITTLE BRITCHES. Also featuring a 35mm screening of THE LEOPARD and the new restoration of TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING that played at the MOMA last year.

GaryC

#31 Post by GaryC » Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm

On Sunday 16 June, the Prince Charles (London) will be showing the Three Colours trilogy from 35mm prints. Starts 2pm. Charge for the triple bill is £18 or £12 for Prince Charles members.

Three days earlier is a 35mm screening of Solaris (Tarkovsky version) at the Curzon Renoir, with an introduction by Will Self. Starts 7.30pm, £17.50, less for various levels of Curzon membership.

sorrysomehow

#32 Post by sorrysomehow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 pm

The New Beverly in LA is the closest revival theatre that I know of, and I try to go as often as possible. A few months ago I was fortunate enough to see a double feature of Red Desert and Through a Glass Darkly, which was amazing. More recently, I went last saturday to a midnight showing of The Howling (1981) which was also a lot of fun (despite the horribly red tinged 35mm reel)

Cold Bishop

#33 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:56 pm

I love Tarantino's support for 35mm, but some of the prints I've seen there (and I'm not a native, so it's not frequent) are awful. I distinctly recall going to see the double feature of Avenging Eagle and The Duel. The latter was presumably Tarantino's own print, as he was there presenting, and frankly, the man should have been embarrassed: a cropped full-frame print with the entire last 10 minutes missing!

sorrysomehow

#34 Post by sorrysomehow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:I love Tarantino's support for 35mm, but some of the prints I've seen there (and I'm not a native, so it's not frequent) are awful. I distinctly recall going to see the double feature of Avenging Eagle and The Duel. The latter was presumably Tarantino's own print, as he was there presenting, and frankly, the man should have been embarrassed: a cropped full-frame print with the entire last 10 minutes missing!
Yeah the print of Through a Glass Darkly was kinda shoddy. There was a noticeable amount of stuttering, and I recall there even being a scene where it skipped through half of a conversation.

The Howling's print was fine, aside from it being incredibly red tinted through the entire film. But they had signs on the ticket window saying that it was one of the original prints from 1981, as apparently those were the only 35mm prints ever made for the film. So that was understandable I suppose.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#35 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Except for the month Tarantino will program everything at the NewBev, people have to forget the misconception it's Tarantino's theater. It was founded by Sherman Torgan and now his son Michael runs it. Tarantino just makes sure the lights stay on, that nobody tears it down and it continues to play 35mm.

As it's not a non-profit, they unfortunately can't get their hands on certain archival prints and have to rely on studio prints and every (rare) once in a while, a print from Tarantino, which is usually for cult films or Hong Kong films. Unfortunately, studios don't take care of heir prints so things like The Howling or Altered States (which played at The Cinefamily recently) end up turning pink or normal wear from prints start to show damage. Bad projectionists and the popular platter system that took over multiplexes in the 80's has done a lot of damage to prints. Transfers done by Criterion remove most damage and scratches from the print, creating a perfect, clear image. If you go to any repertory house, you'll encounter damage, warping or discoloration to prints, be it the New Beverly, The Cinefamily, the American Cinematheque or UCLA Film and Television Archive.

I really think the digital era has spoiled all cinephiles. I remember seeing Nagisa Oshima's The Christian Rebel at the American Cinematheque four years ago in the most worn and scratched print I've ever seen, but that's the only way it was available at the time, before a fan-subtitled version made its way online. And if you want a theatrical experience on the original medium, you unfortunately have to sometimes put up with prints like this.
Last edited by The Elegant Dandy Fop on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sorrysomehow

#36 Post by sorrysomehow » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Except for the month Tarantino will program everything at the NewBev, people have to forget the misconception it's Tarantino's theater. It was founded by Sherman Torgan and now his son Michael runs it. Tarantino just makes sure the lights stay on, that nobody tears it down and it continues to play 35mm.

As it's not a non-profit, they unfortunately can't get their hands on certain archival prints and have to rely on studio prints and every (rare) once in a while, a print from Tarantino, which is usually for cult films or Hong Kong films. Unfortunately, studios don't take care of heir prints so things like The Howling or Altered States (which played at The Cinefamily recently) end up turning pink or normal wear from prints start to show damage. Bad projectionists and the popular platter system that took over multiplexes in the 80's has done a lot of damage to prints. Transfers done by Criterion remove most damage and scratches from the print, creating a perfect, clear image. If you go to any repertory house, you're damage, warping or discoloration to prints, be it the New Beverly, The Cinefamily, the American Cinematheque or UCLA Film and Television Archive.

I really think the digital era has spoiled all cinephiles. I remember seeing Nagisa Oshima's The Christian Rebel at the American Cinematheque four years ago in the most worn and scratched print I've ever seen, but that's the only way it was available at the time, before a fan-subtitled version made its way online. And if you want a theatrical experience on the original medium, you unfortunately have to sometimes put up with prints like this.
It's certainly understandable that not all reels are going to be in perfect quality. Personally, I'm just thankful that places like this still exist and continue to show films on 35mm.

Being in my early 20's, I haven't gotten a chance to see very many classic films projected in their original format. Places like the New Beverly allow me that chance.

Moe Dickstein

#37 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but any fans of 1776 in Los Angeles, there is a screening July 3 at the Aero in Santa Monica at 7:30.

I'll be there with director Peter Hunt and he will do a Q&A after the screening.

Hope with a good turnout we can show Sony there is still interest in getting this out and reconstructed for Blu, if not from Sony themselves, through Criterion.

starmanof51

Re: 1776

#38 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this, but any fans of 1776 in Los Angeles, there is a screening July 3 at the Aero in Santa Monica at 7:30.
Adore that movie. Would love a Blu that captures all the material from the Pioneer laserdisc. Which cut are they running?

Fred Holywell

#39 Post by Fred Holywell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

beamish13 wrote:Huge Burt Lancaster centennial retrospective continues at the Billy Wilder Theater/Hammer Museum in Los Angeles. Includes screenings of a number of Universal titles that are completely unavailable, including KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS and CATTLE ANNIE & LITTLE BRITCHES. Also featuring a 35mm screening of THE LEOPARD and the new restoration of TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING that played at the MOMA last year.
The Burt Lancaster retrospective is coming to the Harvard Film Archive later this month.

Moe Dickstein

#40 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:26 pm

starmanof51 wrote:
Moe Dickstein wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this, but any fans of 1776 in Los Angeles, there is a screening July 3 at the Aero in Santa Monica at 7:30.
Adore that movie. Would love a Blu that captures all the material from the Pioneer laserdisc. Which cut are they running?
The cut being shown is the only cut that exists on film, the directors cut from the DVD

Plan is to add most of the LD material to a Blu along with more extras if one ever gets going again. Work was in progress when Sony killed their catalog releases in 2011/12.

The hope is if Sony wont release it that Criterion might pick it up with the skills of Grover Crisp behind the reconstruction work.

starmanof51

#41 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:The cut being shown is the only cut that exists on film, the directors cut from the DVD
So the theatrical release (notably missing "Cool Considerate Men") doesn't exist on film anymore?

Moe Dickstein

#42 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 pm

The negative was recut to the proper version. The theatrical version is best forgotten.

repeat

#43 Post by repeat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 am

Don't know if this is the right thread, but:

The American Film Institute in Washington D.C. is hosting a series of Scandinavian crime cinema with several outstanding and hard-to-see titles in addition to the more obvious ones (Trier, Refn, Alfredson etc.) - including a rare-as-hen's-teeth opportunity to see the full-length cut of Eight Deadly Shots! In addition to that and the Kaurismäki films I enthusiastically recommend the two Widerberg films, Man on the Roof - and especially The Man from Majorca. Inspector Palmu's Mistake is good fun too (and was just recently voted as the greatest Finnish film of all time).

repeat

#44 Post by repeat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Heads up DC dwellers: Bo Widerberg's little-known masterpiece The Man from Majorca this coming Sunday at the AFI. Along with Man on the Roof this is considered one of the best Swedish police thrillers ever - don't miss it. I would post a review link if I could find one, but apparently it's so little-known that you'll just have to take my word for it!

Think early Roy Andersson crossed with The French Connection with an extra pinch of 1970's paranoia/cynicism thrown in for good measure. (And for a double dose of summery Scandinavian cheer, they're screening it back to back with The Match Factory Girl!)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#45 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Just so y'all are aware if you weren't already, RiffTrax is simulcasting a riff of Starship Troopers tonight in theaters nationwide.

knives

#46 Post by knives » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Why? Isn't the film already its own riffing?

Matt

#47 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Props to those guys, but the film is already its own satire. Riffing it can't possibly make it any funnier than it already is.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:49 pm

It's like that time Cracked magazine tried to do a Naked Gun parody. That actually happened

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#49 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Your comments are all the reasons why I won't be there, but hey, maybe someone's interested.

repeat

#50 Post by repeat » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:57 am

Bump - last warning for DC: tomorrow (Sunday) 1pm at the AFI Silver Theatre, rare screening of the uncut five-hour version of Eight Deadly Shots, the unrivalled masterpiece of Finnish cinema by renegade auteur Mikko Niskanen (don't be put off by his crappy "new wave" films - this is the real deal). Think early Cassavetes (for the technique), Béla Tarr (for the tempo) and This Sporting Life (for the drama) freezing their ass off in the Northern backwoods, drunk on moonshine and with a major problem with authorities.

For UK people, it's also screening next weekend in Edinburgh, whose site has a serviceable description of the film:

"The shots of the title ring out almost instantly, as a poor farmer kills four policemen in cold blood; the rest of the film presents – in one long flashback – a masterful and empathetic examination of the systematic decline of a working-class community through poverty, unemployment and drink which has led to this supposedly ‘motiveless’ crime. With the haunting Niskanen leading an almost entirely non-professional cast, the case could easily be made for him to be the Finnish Ken Loach – and Eight Deadly Shots, given its epic scale, its Days of Hope. Previously unseen outside of Finland except in a cut which excised over half its material, this pristine restoration of the complete version was finally given its triumphant international premiere last year, forty years after it was made – and over twenty years since Niskanen’s death in 1990. This will be only its sixth international screening."

Also coming to NY next month at MoMA's International Festival of Film Preservation!