Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#326 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Film4 have another screening of Abbas Kiarostami's Like Someone In Love on Monday 18th July at 1.10 a.m.

Other than that the other film that caught my attention next week is Les Combattants (aka Love At First Fight) on Film4 on Monday 18th July at 11.15 p.m.

jlnight

#327 Post by jlnight » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:13 am

More stuff on London Live (if you can get it):

Stephen Frears's film The Hit, starts Sat 23rd July. (I quite liked this, the last time it was on Channel 4).
Tom Jones, the Tony Richardson film, Sun 24th July.
Another Hitchcock film, The Lodger, starts Mon 25th July.

London Live have a tendency to repeat some of these films during the week, so keep an eye out.

jlnight

#328 Post by jlnight » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:47 am

The Freeview channel Quest screened The Incredible Shrinking Man on Sunday afternoon. They are going to show Creature from the Black Lagoon on Sun 24th July and then It Came From Outer Space on Sun 31st July.

jlnight

#329 Post by jlnight » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:16 am

Versus - The Life and Films of Ken Loach, Sat 30th July, BBC2.
Cathy Come Home, Sun 31st July, BBC4.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, Sun 31st July, London Live.

Tarantula, Sun 7th August, Quest.

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, Monday 8th August very late night, Film4.

colinr0380

#330 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:01 am

jlnight wrote:The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, Monday 8th August very late night, Film4.
Film4 are also showing (dubbed) The Tale of Princess Kaguya at 3.50 p.m. on Sunday 7th August, and repeated at 1.15 p.m. on Thursday 11th August.

exidor

#331 Post by exidor » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:21 am

Kingdom of Dreams and Madness on Monday night at 01:20 as well.

colinr0380

#332 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Not that much next week, though Film4 have the first showing of an Italian crime drama Black Souls at 1.10 a.m. on Thursday 18th August, and at 10.45 p.m. on Friday 19th August Ninja, which apparently comes to us from the stunt co-ordinator of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers show!

I was also interested to see the Horror channel showing Island of Terror at 4.00 p.m. on Wednesday 17th August. It has been decades since I last saw it, so I don't know how well it will hold up, but I remember being disturbed as a kid by the monsters turning their victims into boneless puddles of gloop! I'm also predisposed to enjoy any film which involves people barricading themselves against an outside threat! In that sense it is obviously a film in the tradition of The Day of the Triffids, though I also bracket it in with Fiend Without A Face too.

jlnight

#333 Post by jlnight » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:22 am

Hello all.

Bad Timing on London Live tonight.

Frank - Weds 31st August, Film4.

Beat The Devil - Fri 2nd September, Movies4Men.

colinr0380

#334 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:49 am

Next week there are a couple of big premieres of The Wolf of Wall Street on Channel 4 Sunday 4th September at 9.30 p.m. and Frances Ha on BBC2 Friday 9th September at 11.05 p.m. Also the restored (including extra footage and interview scenes with the producer, Roman Polanski) 2012 version of Jackie Stewart: Weekend of a Champion is showing at 6.20 a.m.(!) on Channel 4 on Sunday 4th September - the Radio Times says that "following a short theatrical release in Europe the film was not shown again for 40 years", but I have recorded proof that Channel 4 showed the original 1971 version of the film back in 1997 in a night of programmes devoted to motor racing! I might have to hold onto that tape though if the original version of the film is apparently that rare!

But the most exciting film of the week has to be the premiere of the South Korean film A Girl At My Door starring BAE Doona on Film4 Thursday 8th September at 1.30 a.m.

EDIT: Also an interesting curio is the premiere of an Italian spaghetti western comedy Anything For A Friend on the Movies4Men channel at 7.10 p.m. on Monday 5th September. I cannot see this having had any form of video or DVD release and all I could find on YouTube was a rough looking trailer under its original Italian title. It doesn't look great (I did briefly note that there is someone getting a cream pie to the face, which of course is the pinnacle of humour!), but as a rarity its still worth highlighting. (And it is followed at 9 p.m. with a rare Klaus Kinski spaghetti western His Name Is King, which lent its soundtrack to Django Unchained decades later!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#335 Post by jlnight » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Exhibition, the Joanna Hogg film, Saturday 10th September, BBC2.

Devil's Knot, Wednesday 14th September, Film4.

colinr0380

#336 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:07 pm

For those who may be unaware Devil's Knot is the Atom Egoyan film on the West Memphis 3 case. A dramatisation unfortunately cannot really avoid being overshadowed by the raw, direct power of those three Paradise Lost documentaries, but its still a story worth re-telling.

Also next week on Thursday 15th September at 11.10 p.m. Film4 are showing the Kent Jones documentary Hitchcock/Truffaut.

jlnight

#337 Post by jlnight » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:19 am

colinr0380 wrote: but I have recorded proof that Channel 4 showed the original 1971 version of the film back in 1997 in a night of programmes devoted to motor racing! I might have to hold onto that tape though if the original version of the film is apparently that rare!
23/08/1997, as part of some "Petrolheads" night. I like the bit where Stewart is driving around the Monaco track beforehand and explaining all the gear changes (in the original bit and the recut).

Friday 23rd September has something intriguing - Keith Richards "takes over BBC FOUR for three nights of dusk-to-dawn programming, in a pirate broadcast." There are three films which I assume are chosen by him - Hitchcock's The 39 Steps and Michael Reeves' The Sorcerers book-end the really interesting one, The Girl Can't Help It!

Another former Moviedrome film is on ITV on the same night, Mad Max 2.

And Frances Ha never got shown, did it? The Ides of March was scheduled last night.

colinr0380

#338 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:58 pm

jlnight wrote:Friday 23rd September has something intriguing - Keith Richards "takes over BBC FOUR for three nights of dusk-to-dawn programming, in a pirate broadcast." There are three films which I assume are chosen by him - Hitchcock's The 39 Steps and Michael Reeves' The Sorcerers book-end the really interesting one, The Girl Can't Help It!
It looks pretty interesting: the Radio Times says that all the interstitial sections are directed by Julien Temple, which makes sense as he seems to have become the BBC's go-to music documentary filmmaker! There's even a 75 minute bio film of Keith Richards at 9 p.m. on the Friday evening. In a way it feels like a (hugely more indulgent, in that the first two hours from 7-9 p.m. apparently just involve Richards "airing his world views, life philosophies and survival strategies" :-s ) version of a Moviedrome introduction, though it seems that the only way that BBC4 (that is about 70-75% rock music documentaries) can justify handing over three entire evenings of its schedule is to have aging rockers involved rather than film enthusiasts!

I'm fine with that if it means The Sorcerors gets a rare outing on television though! And I don't remember The Girl Can't Help It being shown since its Moviedrome airing back in 1997 - I'll keep my fingers crossed that it might be in its full 2.35:1 widescreen format this time, as the 1997 screening was cut down to a compromise ratio of 1.85:1.

Though I can only see the listings for Friday 23rd the Radio Times also mentions that apparently Bicycle Thieves is going to get shown during this Keith Richard's Weekend thing.

___

Even discounting that bizarre schedule, its still a really weird week for films on television involving well known names in rather obscure films. On Monday 19th September at 3.15 p.m. Channel 5 are premiering the film A Sunday Horse. That doesn't sound too strange, and fits into Channel 5's TV afternoon 'girl and her pony' stories slot just fine. But what first caught my eye is that the film is directed by Vic Armstrong, better known as the Bond second unit stunt director. He's also directed Dolph Lundgren in Joshua Tree and the Nicolas Cage version of Left Behind. And then on checking imdb I was surprised all over again at the supporting cast: Linda Hamilton, Ving Rhames and William Shatner are all apparently in this! Here's the trailer

Then on Friday 23rd September at 9 p.m. the Horror channel is showing The Dyatlov Pass Incident, which is directed by Renny Harlin!
___

But the most interesting films are also rather obscure. On Wednesday 21st September at 00.35 a.m. Film4 are showing Hadwin's Judgement, a Canadian docu-drama about a logger turned eco-terrorist (maybe one and the same thing!)

And Channel 4 have the Indian courtroom drama Court on Tuesday 20th September at 1.05 a.m. - I'll just quote the Radio Times on this one: "An ageing folk singer in Mumbai is charged with inciting murder when a sewage worker commits suicide after listening to one of his songs". I can't wait for the inevitable Hollywood remake of this one!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#339 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:05 pm

And Channel 4 have the Indian courtroom drama Court on Tuesday 20th September at 1.05 a.m. - I'll just quote the Radio Times on this one: "An ageing folk singer in Mumbai is charged with inciting murder when a sewage worker commits suicide after listening to one of his songs". I can't wait for the inevitable Hollywood remake of this one!
This sounds awesome, probably isn't though. One of the YouTube comments says the camera doesn't move enough, so I'm assuming the art house contingent of the board will love it

antnield

#340 Post by antnield » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:47 am

colinr0380 wrote:And Channel 4 have the Indian courtroom drama Court on Tuesday 20th September at 1.05 a.m. - I'll just quote the Radio Times on this one: "An ageing folk singer in Mumbai is charged with inciting murder when a sewage worker commits suicide after listening to one of his songs". I can't wait for the inevitable Hollywood remake of this one!
Full line-up for this year's Indian Film Season on Channel 4.

colinr0380

#341 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:43 am

The Nutan and Smita Patil mini-seasons within this run sound fantastic and its always good to see a lot of contemporary films getting showcased too. I'm not too sure about that remake of Dude, Where's My Car? though!

jlnight

#342 Post by jlnight » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:05 am

Keith Richards' Lost Weekend on BBC4:

Saturday 24th September: Bicycle Thieves, I Walked With A Zombie (ha!) plus London: The Modern Babylon.
Sunday 25th September: The Man Who Would Be King, Temple's Pandaemonium and Out of the Past.

Apparently there will be other things interspersed within the schedules so maybe a marathon recording session is in order!

colinr0380

#343 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:57 am

London: The Modern Babylon is also a Julien Temple film, so he's got a film every night of the weekend! Maybe it should be called "Julien Temple's Weird World!" (I'd certainly have gone for a rare screening of Temple's best film, Earth Girls Are Easy!)

Glad to hear that I Walked With A Zombie is on there! I think the last time that was on television was way back in the BBC's Century of Cinema year of films in 1995! And I think it has been about the same amount of time since Out of the Past/Build My Gallows High was last screened.

jlnight

#344 Post by jlnight » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:09 pm

A quick look on Genome suggests Zombie and Gallows have been on the BBC a few times since the turn of the century. I've got an off-air copy of Gallows from one of those screenings certainly. It looks like Bicycle Thieves and The Girl Can't Help It are the rare ones on TV. The latter apparently had one more screening after the Moviedrome outing, in 1998, while the former was on Channel 4 in 1987. I'm sure it was on TV more recently, but who knows...

And Temple's best film for me is The Filth and The Fury.

thirtyframesasecond

#345 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:57 am

colinr0380 wrote:The Nutan and Smita Patil mini-seasons within this run sound fantastic and its always good to see a lot of contemporary films getting showcased too. I'm not too sure about that remake of Dude, Where's My Car? though!
Yeah, I'm Sky+-ing those mini-seasons. Of the recent films, Mary Kom looks semi-interesting; female boxer and all that. Isn't Priyanka Chopra in an American TV series now?

antnield

#346 Post by antnield » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Also screening as part of the Keith Richards Lost Weekend is Lords of Little Egypt: Mai Zetterling among the Gypsies, Zetterling's 1961 documentary for the BBC. Among the crew is Brian Probyn, who later shot Downhill Racer and Malick's Badlands.

colinr0380

#347 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Well the three nights of Keith Richards' Lost Weekend were entertaining, though I did keep wondering throughout whether this was a way for the BBC to package otherwise 'unbroadcastable' progammes without having to advertise them in the schedules. Either because the footage was less than HD quality (episodes of Hancock's Half Hour), slightly risque and un-politically correct (the Tex Avery cartoons and Spike Milligan compilation) or black and white footage in general, all of which seem to be frowned on currently.

Perhaps only intercutting Richards' face grinning at a joke or lighting up a cigarette with a sly wink in the middle of the programmes are the only way the BBC considers such material broadcastable now? Or showing Richards sliding a VHS tape into a player before the films start, to sort of pre-empt quality concerns (aside from Julien Temple's Pandemonium film, which Keith apparently has a DVD player to hand to play it from!)

It wasn't a bad approach though, and certainly a lot more interesting and 'curated' than usual, and I'd like to see more of the same. Keith Richards himself seems like a lovely chap too, even when he decides to stick on a 1950s intermission film and pop out to make a sandwich for a few minutes!

It had not dawned on me that we also got a Jacques Tourner double bill with I Walked With A Zombie and Out of the Past/Build My Gallows High on the last two nights. The Mai Zetterling Among The Gypsies piece was the highlight and certainly made for a fun contrast to modern television's current trend of "Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" series! I also loved the MGM Tex Avery cartoons that cropped up a few times, especially Swing Shift Cinderella just before The Girl Can't Help It. Classic animations feel very rarely shown on television in recent years and though it was a slight shame the BBC couldn't have added a contextually appropriate Warner Bros Tashlin Porky Pig cartoon or something before a Tashlin feature, the animations were still much appreciated!

(Also what was up with all that repeated footage of rats running through drains? Was that just to signify that everything was being broadcast 'illicitly' after dark?)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mr. Deltoid

#348 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Well, I loved the Keith Richards weekend. It felt like a throwback to those loose, 'themed' nights that channel 4(and occasionally BBC2) used to broadcast back in the 90's, like Kung Fu night, Animation Weekend, etc. It was good to hang-out and listen to the wit and wisdom of Keef until the wee hours, especially since broadcasters these days usually regard the other side of midnight as only good for teleshopping or tacky as f@ck interactive gaming. Strangely comforting to feel the man himself was out there to keep us night owls company. Loved the Tex Avery cartoons and the various 60's ephemera (clips of the Stones on Ready, Steady Go, snippets from Performance, Primitive London (I think!), the Stones' "selling out before The Who" with that 60's cereal ad, Hendrix, et.) And yes Colin, those nocturnal intermissions of Badgers and Foxes, etc. felt part of the whole illicit 'after hours' vibe and fitted very well alongside the Lewton's, 'Undercover of the Night' video, the noirish "your never alone with a Strand" advert as an ode to the night-time by the original Midnight Rambler. More of this please BBC4!

Robin Davies

#349 Post by Robin Davies » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:31 pm

I enjoyed it too, and the format is worth repeating if they can find another interesting character to hang it on. (So sad that Bowie is no longer with us. He would have been an excellent choice.)
The best part of the Keith Richards nights for me was "Lost and Found: The Memory Marbles of Anthony Stern" which was a glorious slice of sixties nostalgia that I'd never heard of before. (Not scheduled and apparently not available on the iPlayer either - I guess you had to be there!)

exidor

#350 Post by exidor » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:54 am

Edit: Never mind. I thought it might be in one of the generic segments but it looks like it's been deliberately pulled for some reason. Weird.