Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Robin Davies

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#376 Post by Robin Davies » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:47 am

jlnight wrote:
SpoilerShow
Quick quiz: what was the first Jodorowsky film shown on UK television?
SpoilerShow
The first I'm aware of is El Topo on BBC2 on 22nd March 1997, with intro by Christopher Frayling.

colinr0380

#377 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:15 pm

It's a really good week next week. The highlights are definitely the Andrzej Wajda film Walesa: Man of Hope on BBC4 at 10 p.m. Tuesday 10th January, and Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Dance of Reality at 1 a.m. on Wednesday 11th January on Film4 as already mentioned.

But there is also an hour and a half documentary Bowie: The Last Five Years on BBC2 at 9 pm. Saturday 7th January (followed by a Nic Roeg double bill of The Man Who Fell To Earth and Walkabout). And on Sunday 8th January at 10.30 p.m. BBC4 are premiering Roman Polanski's Venus In Fur film (though it faces strong competition that night from the premieres of A Most Violent Year on BBC2 and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 on Channel 4 at the same time!)

And I had thought that the Fred Olen Ray TV movies stopped with Christmas! On Monday 9th January at 3.15 p.m. Channel 5 have the first screening of the director's 2016 TV movie Unwanted Guest.

In terms of repeats, Channel 4's Indian film season is showing the first in a series of films starring Nutan, the 1959 Anari on Friday 13th January at 1.00 a.m. (I have it down as the first time it has been on television since 1999). On Tuesday 10th January at 2.55 p.m. Film4 have a screening of The Blue Dahlia, which has just had an excellent Arrow Blu-ray release. And on Thursday 12th January at 2.40 p.m. BBC2 are showing Robert Aldrich's 4 For Texas. On Saturday 7th January BBC2 is screening Anthony Mann's 1960 version of Cimarron at 1.35 p.m. I'm crossing my fingers that both of those films might get shown in their correct aspect ratios.

But the most interesting rarely shown film is No Minor Vices directed by Lewis Milestone, which is also showing on BBC2 on Saturday 7th January, although at 6.50 a.m.! (Though if you cannot wait, there's a link here!)

colinr0380

#378 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:54 am

I also forgot to note that tonight BBC1 are starting the eight part series starring Tom Hardy, Taboo at 9.15 p.m., and then later on at 11.45 p.m. Film4 are screening the recent Turkish horror film Baskin.

jlnight

#379 Post by jlnight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 am

Blood Ah Go Run + Hello West Indies, Sun 15th January, London Live (BFI Black London shorts). It was actually Grove Carnival that was screened instead of Hello West Indies before Christmas.

Dressed to Kill, Sat 21st January, Film4.
Robin Davies wrote:
SpoilerShow
The first I'm aware of is El Topo on BBC2 on 22nd March 1997, with intro by Christopher Frayling.
Good attempt but it's not the right answer. Apparently it's Fando and Lis, shown on Harlech (HTV) in 1971!

colinr0380

#380 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Gosh, Harlech Television. I only know that regional broadcaster from Victor Lewis-Smith briefly poking fun at its eye-searing logo during TV Offal!

Robin Davies

#381 Post by Robin Davies » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 pm

jlnight wrote:Good attempt but it's not the right answer. Apparently it's Fando and Lis, shown on Harlech (HTV) in 1971!
Whaaat? Are you sure about that? I thought the film was believed to be lost for many years. That's what Jonathan Ross said in his Jodorowsky documentary in 1991.

jlnight

#382 Post by jlnight » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 pm

The Million Eyes of Su-Muru, Fri 13th January, Movies4Men.

Steel and Skin + Ten Bob in Winter, Sun 22nd January, London Live (BFI Black London shorts).

Contemporary articles suggest that Fando and Lis played in the West End in 1971, particularly the Jacey, and was picked up for television later that year.

Robin Davies

#383 Post by Robin Davies » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:18 pm

jlnight wrote:Contemporary articles suggest that Fando and Lis played in the West End in 1971, particularly the Jacey, and was picked up for television later that year.
According to the book Anarchy and Alchemy: The Films of Alejandro Jodorowsky the US distributors cut the film by 13 minutes and this version "appeared briefly in UK cinemas as Tar Babies".
Do you know what title HTV used?

jlnight

#384 Post by jlnight » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:43 pm

The TV listing has it as "Fando y Lis (Tar Babies)", the review for the West End run had it as Tar Babies, while a couple of articles related to its TV screening referred to it alternatively as "Alexander Jodorowsky's Tar Babies (sic), an adaptation of Arrabal's Fando y Lis", or "Alexander Jodorowsky's Fando y Lis (or Tar Babies), from Arrabal".

So take your pick.

It was actually part of a season of experimental films on the channel. A couple of titles from later seasons may surprise a few...

colinr0380

#385 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:17 pm

The interesting films from next week include:

Listen To Me, Marlon at 9.00 p.m. on Saturday 14th January on BBC2 (aka the one with the CGI Brando head voicing extracts from his audio diaries). Followed at 10.40 p.m. by a screening of On The Waterfront (no details of which aspect ratio version however! :wink: )
We Are Still Here at 10.50 p.m. on Saturday 14th January on the Horror Channel. Starring Barbara Crampton who is probably best known for her roles in the Stuart Gordon films of Re-Animator and From Beyond. Plus Larry Fessenden and Lisa Marie (a regular in Tim Burton's 90s films, particularly Ed Wood and Mars Attacks!) in supporting roles.
Zero Days at 9.00 pm. on Monday 16th January on BBC4. The documentary about the Stuxnet virus and the murky world of political cyberhacking.

And the Indian film season is continuing its tribute to the actress Nutan with the premiere of the 1957 film Paying Guest at 1.00 a.m. on Friday 20th January.

GaryC

#386 Post by GaryC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:52 am

colinr0380 wrote:The interesting films from next week include:

Listen To Me, Marlon at 9.00 p.m. on Saturday 14th January on BBC2 (aka the one with the CGI Brando head voicing extracts from his audio diaries). Followed at 10.40 p.m. by a screening of On The Waterfront (no details of which aspect ratio version however! :wink: )
According to Radio Times, On the Waterfront is being shown in HD and widescreen, so take that as you will.

I will be watching, or more likely recording and watching later, as I haven't seen the film in some thirty years. That previous viewing was in 35mm at the National Film Theatre, as was, and it was shown then in 1.37:1.

GaryC

#387 Post by GaryC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:37 pm

GaryC wrote:

According to Radio Times, On the Waterfront is being shown in HD and widescreen, so take that as you will.
Despite that listing, BBC2 showed the film in 1.37:1, though it was HD. They also showed it with a 5.1 soundtrack, which I understand is on Criterion's Blu-ray (I don't own it) along with the original mono. The dialogue and sound effects were mono, but every time the music score started up it went into the surrounds and subwoofer.

GaryC

#388 Post by GaryC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:38 pm

GaryC wrote:
GaryC wrote:

Despite that listing, BBC2 showed the film in 1.37:1, though it was HD. They also showed it with a 5.1 soundtrack, which I understand is on Criterion's Blu-ray (I don't own it) along with the original mono. The dialogue and sound effects were mono, but every time the music score started up it went into the surrounds and subwoofer.

It's just as well I did record it, as neither it nor Listen to Me Marlon are available on BBC Iplayer.

colinr0380

#389 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 am

That's interesting. I didn't know that TV broadcasts could come through in 5.1! I guess with the digital switchover that it possible in a way it was not able to before?

jlnight

#390 Post by jlnight » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 am

Yakuza Apocalypse, Sat 28th January, Film4.

African Student Families + White Men are Cracking Up, Sun 29th January, London Live (BFI Black London shorts). A Private Function, Withnail and I, How To Get Ahead in Advertising are scheduled for February on the channel.

The Sex Thief, late Thu 2nd February, London Live.

colinr0380

#391 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:32 am

Yakuza Apocalypse (I'd recognise that green frog onesie anywhere!) is going to be a part of Film4's "Wild In The Streets" action film season along with the premiere of The Purge: Anarchy as well.

The Horror channel is going to be running a "Sci-Fear" season over four Saturdays in February, which along with eXistenZ and the Jamie Lee Curtis starring Virus is going to include the premieres of The Signal (at 9 p.m. on 4th February) and Pandorum (at 9 p.m. on 11th February).

thirtyframesasecond

#392 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Quite liked the first two Purge movies; they probably seem a bit more prophetic now.

jlnight

#393 Post by jlnight » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 am

Love is the Devil, late night Sat 28th January, BBC2. Francis Bacon: A Brush with Violence is on earlier in the evening on the same channel.

Jemima and Johnny + Ten Bob in Winter (apparently), Sun 5th February, London Live (BFI Black London shorts). Jemima and Johnny last appeared on Channel 4 in 1988, Steel and Skin which was on last night apparently appeared on Anglia back in 1981. Ten Bob which was also on last night was like one of those shorts you find on the Flipside discs, with a jazzy score and some wry narration!

colinr0380

#394 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:43 pm

(By the way I'd probably advise a bit of caution regarding Yakuza Apocalypse in that it gets extremely strange from the outset, but also a bit exhausting too. Its kind of in the Miike trend of comic book antics, though this aspect does suggest that Miike was really the perfect choice to do an adaptation (upcoming) of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure!)

The thing that immediately stuck out to me in the schedules next week was BBC4 screening Author: The JT LeRoy Story at 11 p.m. on Wednesday 1st February.

The last of the Indian film season tributes to Nutan is the premiere of the 1958 film Sone Ki Chidiya (or Golden Bird) on Channel 4 at 1.45 a.m. Friday 3rd February. BBC4 are screening the French film Under The Rainbow at 10.30 pm. on Sunday 29th January. And the Robert Redford sailing movie All Is Lost is on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 1st February.

There are a couple of interesting repeats too: the 1939 version of Beau Geste with Gary Cooper is getting a couple of screenings on Film4 over the next week, the second at 2.30 p.m. on Monday 30th January. And perhaps more interesting for its rarely shown nature, the 1949 Shirley Temple film Adventure in Baltimore is showing on BBC2 at 6.35 a.m. on Saturday 28th January.

Plus in terms of the radio, from 1 a.m. on Sunday 29th January Radio 3 is screening a six hour night of music by Philip Glass to commemorate his 80th birthday on Tuesday. It is apparently going to focus mostly on Music In Twelve Parts, composed between 1971 and 1974, along with a number of shorter works. (According to those wags doing the Radio Times listing: "it will either mesmerise you or give you a sense of how waterboarding might feel"!)

jlnight

#395 Post by jlnight » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:50 am

The Falling, Sat 4th February, BBC2.

Cool It, Carol!, scheduled late night Wed 8th February, London Live. The Sex Thief is on tonight incidentally.

jlnight

#396 Post by jlnight » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:04 am

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Sat 11th February, Film4. The original film is on the previous night.

Top Deck, Sun 12th February, London Live (BFI Black London). Cool It Carol! is now scheduled for this Friday night (3rd February).

colinr0380

#397 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 pm

I wonder if that's Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2's UK TV premiere.

colinr0380

#398 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Lots of stuff next week! In terms of first showings:

Asghar Farhadi's film The Past is on BBC4 at 10 p.m. on Sunday 5th February
The biopic of fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent is on BBC4 at 10 p.m. on Monday 6th February
It Follows is on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Monday 6th February
The first part of the remake of Roots is on BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 8th February
The Brazillian film The Second Mother is on Film4 at 1 a.m. on Thursday 9th February
And on Thursday 9th February at 9 p.m. Film4 are showing the romantic comedy Like Crazy, starring the late Anton Yelchin

Its also really interesting for rare repeats of films. At 6.50 a.m. on Saturday 4th February BBC2 are showing the 1946 film Lady Luck. Also Film4 is showing Jodie Foster's first film as director Little Man Tate at 6.55 p.m. on Friday 10th February. But the most exciting film of the week would have to be the "Doris Day getting menaced by abusive phone calls" psychological thriller Midnight Lace, showing on Film4 at 3.55 p.m. on Monday 6th February.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Deltoid

#399 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Colin, that trailer for Midnight Lace is great. Pretty creepy voice, prefiguring Black Christmas maybe? Never heard of this one before, but I'm in!

colinr0380

#400 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Its also got John Gavin in it, the same year he played the 'block of wood' love interest in Psycho!

Midnight Lace is PG rated, so I'm not expecting anything spectacular (though while I'm wildly speculating it would be brilliant if it turned out that the 'shock ending' that the trailer urges audiences not to reveal prefigures Dressed To Kill, just with Rex Harrison in the Michael Caine part!), but I can't remember the last time it was shown on TV, so its interesting just for that! Also to see a contemporaneous film that looks to be very much in the Hitchcock vein, to the extent of casting actors with previous experience in Hitchcock films and its foggy London setting.