War Party (Franc Roddam, 1988)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

War Party (Franc Roddam, 1988)

#1 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Never heard of this before it popped up on my Tumblr feed, but it sounds fascinating (and from a Criterion-approved director no less). Anyone ever seen it?
Cinefamily wrote:It’s a crying shame that a movie this genuinely fun and well-crafted has been mostly lost to time, but let’s try to rectify the situation. Picture the same amount of mindblowing-to-your-inner-twelve-year-old, coming-of-age action radness of Red Dawn, but also with the small-town naturalism of a John Sayles film — and M. Emmet Walsh as an ultra-smarmy bounty hunter! A shining diamond buried in the still-not-yet-released-on-DVD hinterlands, War Party stars Lost Boys vamp Billy Wirth alongside Entourage’s Kevin Dillon in this rollicking, on-the-lam Midwestern tale. A Civil War battle re-enactment is just what’s needed to economically revitalize our heroes’ Indian rez in Montana — except that racial tensions flare, real guns are fired during the “show”, and a large batch of really awesome chaos erupts. Director Franc Roddam (Quadrophenia) keeps things slick and appropriately dusty, Wirth is full of broody charm (as well as sports a wicked Ian Astbury-style, bangs-heavy ‘do), and more than one tomahawk gets firmly planted in villainous rednecks’ skulls.

GaryC

Re: War Party (Franc Roddam, 1988)

#2 Post by GaryC » Thu May 16, 2013 3:18 am

Yes - I saw it in a press show at the time. It had a very limited UK cinema release.

To be honest, it's not lasted in my memory at all well, so take that as you will.

EPlay

Re: War Party (Franc Roddam, 1988)

#3 Post by EPlay » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 pm

I must admit I don't remember the details of the film, only really liking it a lot (and Billy Wirth!!). I've been trying to see if it's been released anywhere in the world on DVD, but it doesn't seem to be. I would love to see it again.