It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:48 pm 

Philippe Garrel retrospective coming to Metrograph.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:47 pm 

Drucker wrote:

Two of the three 70mm prints have been added last-minute to play at the AFI theater in two weeks in Silver Spring, MD, for those of us in the Baltimore-DC area.

(Apologies if this seems the wrong thread, but figured with it not being in the printed program some people here might miss it!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:09 pm 

Ribs wrote:
Drucker wrote:

Two of the three 70mm prints have been added last-minute to play at the AFI theater in two weeks in Silver Spring, MD, for those of us in the Baltimore-DC area.

(Apologies if this seems the wrong thread, but figured with it not being in the printed program some people here might miss it!)

I'm glad I caught The Enchanted Desna at MoMI - those prints came from Russia and as far as MoMI was able to tell, their screenings represented the U.S. premiere of a 70mm screening of those titles. (And to be clear, they were indeed shot in 70mm.) So definitely go see them because not only are they quite good, it's a very rare chance to see them in 70mm, especially here in the U.S.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 pm 

Does anyone happen to know if these prints will continue to tour the country (aside from the dates Ribs mentioned)? Hoping they make it out west but I know these things are complicated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:35 pm 

A Matter of Life and Death's 4k restoration is ready, and playing Saturday at Film Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm 

Ken Jacobs's Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son is playing at Anthology Film Archives this Saturday evening. It hasn't been made available for home viewing, so one should definitely go see this. Outside of NYC, I imagine it can be tough to track down - I was never able to see it until I moved here - and since this is Anthology, this is probably one of the best 16mm prints available for viewing. Here's a good capsule review from the Chicago Reader by Fred Camper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 pm 

There is actually a DVD-R available on Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:36 pm 

Well shut my mouth, that's excellent news.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:24 pm 

Just saw THE CRIME OF MONSIEUR LANGE at the NYFF. It is a new restoration and it was announced that it will play at Film Forum in November. Great film that has aged wonderfully for unfortunate reasons (the world hasn't changed as much as one would hope). Sorry to say that I am disappointed with the restoration as the grain management is awful. A fuzzy and occasionally mushy texture plagued most of the film. I can't imagine a BD release looking good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm 

Film Forum winter schedule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:36 pm 

Bernardo Bertolucci retrospective at the Quad.

Not sure if more films will be added, but The Conformist on 35mm will be a treat, and Spider's Strategem seems rare as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:07 pm 

Just booked my flight to catch it on 35mm. Sadly Once Upon a Time in a DC.
Wow. I wish I was in NYC this upcoming month. Quad are also having Louis CK and Greta Gerwig pick personal favorites, which means Quad will be showing Barry Lyndon, Apocalypse Now and Secret and Lies amongst other films on 35mm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:29 pm 

dda1996a wrote:
Just booked my flight to catch it on 35mm. Sadly Once Upon a Time in a DC.
Wow. I wish I was in NYC this upcoming month. Quad are also having Louis CK and Greta Gerwig pick personal favorites, which means Quad will be showing Barry Lyndon, Apocalypse Now and Secret and Lies amongst other films on 35mm.

FWIW, at the last minute, Quad Cinema actually cancelled the Louis CK program of personal favorites, even though there were never any plans for him to make an appearance. I think they should have just taken his name off the program - something like The Plot Against Harry doesn't get screened that often and would have been very welcome.

Anyway, a pretty stunning program of melodramas will screen at Lincoln Center in December and January.

A silent 35mm screening of Sunrise on Tuesday, December 19 is part of that Lincoln Center program (with live accompaniment by pianist Donald Sosin), and it's worth noting that on Saturday, December 2nd, a DCP of the latest restoration of Sunrise (including the original Movietone soundtrack) is screening at MoMI.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 pm 

Wyler retrospective coming to the Quad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13