It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:41 pm 

pzadvance wrote:

There is a god.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 pm 

I wonder if this is why Criterion is holding off the Koker trilogy. But absolutely fantastic news, especially for the rare shorts.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 pm 

I think waiting on restorations is absolutely the reason - I saw some of these earlier in the year and they were still played off Betacam tapes.

(The ending Through the Olive Trees is made almost more amusing by this, as the unknowable indecipherable nature of its extreme long shot is exacerbated by a lack of resolution)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:15 pm 

I assume the "first 20 films" referred to in that article include Kiarostami's many shorts for Kanun (Kiarostami only has something like 16 to 22 features, depending on which films you count as "features"). If so, then the restored films would be Bread and Alley through 1989's Homework, and wouldn't include Life an Nothing More or Through the Olive Trees, the second and third entries in the so-called "Koker trilogy." Still great news, though, especially in re. the shorts, for which in some cases there are no good circulating prints in Europe or North America.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:55 pm 

whaleallright wrote:
I assume the "first 20 films" referred to in that article include Kiarostami's many shorts for Kanun (Kiarostami only has something like 16 to 22 features, depending on which films you count as "features"). If so, then the restored films would be Bread and Alley through 1989's Homework, and wouldn't include Life an Nothing More or Through the Olive Trees, the second and third entries in the so-called "Koker trilogy." Still great news, though, especially in re. the shorts, for which in some cases there are no good circulating prints in Europe or North America.

The Variety article that broke the news specifically listed Life and Nothing More (or And Life Goes On) so I think we could safely assume the "Koker trilogy" is included in the package.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:54 pm 

Thanks! I wonder how they are counting to twenty!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:03 am 

The Variety article says 14 of the 20 are shorts or mid-lengths, and also seems to suggest that films already owned by mk2 (like two of the Koker films) might not be included in the count of 20. It also says they now own "nearly all" of his films.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:28 am 

Kiarostami's very last film "24 Frames" premiered a few days ago at Cannes. Here's a review. Sounds as if it's very much in the vein of "Five".