It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 pm 

Excellent! They actually have a really interesting line-up of Asian cinema for the rest of the year, and Feng Xiaogang is also stopping by in November.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 am 

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences' 3-month tribute to contemporary Latinx cinema kicked off last night with two films from the great Luis Valdez (who also appeared in person with Edward James Olmos and others): I Am Joaquin, a short that was added to the National Film Registry in 2010, and a beautiful archival print of his 1981 feature Zoot Suit. Future screenings include Maria Novaro's Danzon, and Cuban Oscar nominee Fresa Y Chocolate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:32 pm 

The Acaemy's series is part of Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA.
http://www.pacificstandardtime.org/

Filmforum and UCLA are also doing film series as part of it.

Filmforum is presenting Ism, Ism, Ism: Experimental Cinema in Latin America, with lots of guests, through January 2018. Various venues.
www.ismismism.org and www.lafilmforum.org

The UCLA Film & Television Archive is presenting
Recuerdos de un cine en español: Latin American Cinema in Los Angeles
September 23, 2017 - December 10, 2017
https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/latinamericanfilm

And the Hammer Museum has a screening with Lourdes Portillo tonight as part of it, related to their Radical Women exhibition. Filmforum is also having one of our screenings at the Hammer on November 30, also related to that exhibition.

Lots to see!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 pm 

lzx wrote:
Excellent! They actually have a really interesting line-up of Asian cinema for the rest of the year, and Feng Xiaogang is also stopping by in November.

Really happy to see Le Moulin in there. If I had bothered to make a ranked list last year it would've been at the top. A staggering achievement not just in documentary form (the way the style and narration subtly shifts with the political winds is brilliantly effective and builds to a shattering ending) but also of research and curation. It demands a lot—the density is overwhelming and it took a good twenty minutes or so before I could get into the rhythm of it—but after three viewings I still come out of it feeling like I've seen an entirely new world.*

I do have to wonder if the Feng event will still happen after Youth suddenly lost its intended 9/29 release in China, with a new date still TBA. I imagine it's just being delayed to keep it out of theaters during the Party Congress, but the final release date could easily run up against the UCLA event.

*Edit: Out of curiosity I googled to see if the movie's been released on Blu and it turns out it was, way back in June. Unfortunately YesAsia is the only English-friendly retailer selling it—JSDVD doesn't carry it, for whatever reason—and they're adding a $20 markup on top of the already high retail price of 1,380 NTD, or around $45. (Apparently it includes a book, but I doubt it'll be of much use for non-Chinese-readers.) At that price it's hard to recommend as a blind buy, but the option is out there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

Cinefamily shuttered for good.

I'm hearing some really juicy stories about the financial shenanigans alluded to in that story, which confirm my suspicion that those have more to do with the closure than the sex scandal. Shame they weren't in stable enough shape to just hire some qualified women to run the place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:45 pm 

I really hope an established, credible organization like Metrograph (which had a relationship with them, as they shared prints and programmed some series in tandem) steps in to revitalize the Cinefamily's space. With Tarantino refusing to let go of the programming reigns at the New Beverly and the Cinematheque being rather uninspired as of late, there are increasingly fewer options for discerning cinephiles in Los Angeles.