Alain Delon

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
godardslave

#26 Post by godardslave » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:12 pm

thanks for your answers everyone.

Gordon

#27 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:32 am

Ebert's review is one of his best, I feel. Ginette Vincendeau's, Jean-Pierre Melville: An American in Paris is also essential reading.

We look forward to releasing more Melville in the future.

Best,
JM
Encouraging response. Rialto will be releasing new prints of Army of Shadows and Le Doulos (which has an excellent UK BFI DVD) this year, so it may not be until 2006 that we see Criterion DVDs of them. Do New Yorker still own Le Samourai?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#28 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:32 pm

You can still find Le Samourai, but it appears to be out of print; Amazon lists it as "currently unavailable" (there's a few Marketplace sellers hocking their copies, though). And it's not listed at all in New Yorker's online catalog, so it seems reasonable to conclude they no longer hold any rights to the film (theatrical, non-theatrical or home video).

Gordon

#29 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:18 pm

... or L'Armee des Ombres.

There are so many of his films in DVD limbo. La Silence de la Mer always gets overlooked and is brilliant. Also, L'A�n� des Ferchaux is very underrated and has never been released on any video format (and not in widescreen) outside of France and has never been broadcast in its original Franscope ratio. Charles Vanel (The Wages of Fear) and Jean-Paul Belmondo are great together as bickering crooks traveling to New York and then to Louisiana. Le Deuxi�me Souffle is also awesome.

zedz

#30 Post by zedz » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:41 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Indeed! There are so many of his films in DVD limbo. La Silence de la Mer always gets overlooked and is brilliant.
This is turning into a Melville thread, but I'd like to chime in about La Silence de la mer. An amazing film, and a real eye-opener in its anticipation of Bresson's mature style. When I first saw this, I was amazed that it was made two years before Diary of a Country Priest.

Getting back on topic, much as I enjoy some of Delon's performances, he seems to have been a pretty unpleasant person, at least in regard to his (non-)dealings with his son Ari and his mother Edith.

Gordon

#31 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 pm

Amazon.fr listing (click here)

Released in France on 16th May by Studio Canal. The previous French edition was also from Studio Canal and had, so I am told, an excellent anamorphic transfer, so what are they up to? Is it just a repackaging?

kieslowski_67

#32 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:07 pm

Lots's of Delon movies are craps, like 'black tulips', "Zorro", "the Sicilian clan", "once a thief", to name a few. However, Delon is always a pleasure to watch.

I feel that he gave some of his better performances in Losey's "Monsieur Klein" and Blier's "Notre histoire". The latter also features the luminous Nathalie Baye at her peak.

mute nostril agony

#33 Post by mute nostril agony » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:23 pm

Delon was ace in Purple Noon. I wish there was a version of Tom Ripley whose personality was more middle-ground. The Delon and Matt Damon versions are very extreme, one is very suave and the other too nerdy. Simply a guy who is painfully ordinary.

kinjitsu

#34 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Coming in June from Fox UK: Le Clan des Siciliens

Subbuteo

#35 Post by Subbuteo » Tue May 01, 2007 2:04 pm

kinjitsu wrote:Coming in June from Fox UK: Le Clan des Siciliens

Wicked. And my all time favorite Morricone soundtrack. :D

David Ehrenstein

#36 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue May 01, 2007 3:37 pm

ALAIN DELON MADE ME GAY!

I first saw Purple Noon back in 1961, and when he kissed himself in the mirror I knew precisely who I was.

Well I'd had several clues before then, especially Dolores Gray's "Not Since Nineveh" number in Kismet (1954), but that Delon kiss confirmed it.

Kinsayder

#37 Post by Kinsayder » Sat May 12, 2007 12:12 am

Also in June, a 5-disc UK set from Optimum: Plein Soleil, L'Eclisse, Un flic, Traitement de choc, Flic story. That's not a bad selection. How about a volume 2 consisting of Monsieur Klein, Mort d'un pourri, L'Homme pressé, Deux hommes dans la ville and La Piscine?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Kinsayder wrote:Also in June, a 5-disc UK set from Optimum: Plein Soleil, L'Eclisse, Un flic, Traitement de choc, Flic story. That's not a bad selection. How about a volume 2 consisting of Monsieur Klein, Mort d'un pourri, L'Homme pressé, Deux hommes dans la ville and La Piscine?
DVDBeaver has comparisons of the R2 L'Eclisse and Un Flic up-- Might have to pick up the set since Un Flic is basically the same transfer as the R1 and it's my favorite Melville film.

pro-bassoonist

La Piscine (Delon/Schneider)

#39 Post by pro-bassoonist » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:00 am

M6 Video are set to release Jacques Deray's La Piscine on March 19 in France/Monaco. The disc will offer the unedited English version (as well as an unedited French ending). Optional French subtitles provided.

(Note: never knew there was an "official" English version of this film but there you have it).

Ciao,
Pro-B

fdm

#40 Post by fdm » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:40 am

Thought I'd find mention here of the upcoming (March 25th) Lions Gate Alain Delon Collection that includes The Widow Couderc, Diabolically Yours, La Piscine, Le Gitan, Notre Histoire (Out Story) but I guess not.

kinjitsu

#41 Post by kinjitsu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:59 am

Kinsayder

#42 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:28 am

I thought he kept his little shorts on in Piscine.

He's definitelynude in Traitement de choc:

colinr0380

#43 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:48 am

The Moon In The Gutter blog on Death Of A Corrupt Man.

Kinsayder

Re: La Piscine (Delon/Schneider)

#44 Post by Kinsayder » Sun May 11, 2008 10:09 pm

pro-bassoonist wrote:M6 Video are set to release Jacques Deray's La Piscine on March 19 in France/Monaco. The disc will offer the unedited English version (as well as an unedited French ending). Optional French subtitles provided.

(Note: never knew there was an "official" English version of this film but there you have it).
I don't have this new edition of La Piscine, but I was reading the Premiere and dvdrama reviews of it. Apparently the English version on disc 2 is not a dub. Each scene was filmed twice, once in French, then in English (fortunately most of the actors were bilingual). There's a Blu-ray edition of the film due out next month.

pro-bassoonist

Re: La Piscine (Delon/Schneider)

#45 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon May 12, 2008 4:16 am

I am old enough to remember when this film screened and aside from not being greeted exceptionally well it also made quite a few "studio screenings" in Eastern Europe. The print I saw in circulation was not edited but was in French, definitely. I never knew there was an English "version" and am quite curious to know in what markets this "version" was actually distributed. I could be wrong but La Piscine was always shown in the UK in French, anyone wish to correct me?

As I said earlier, very interesting.

Pro-B

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Alain Delon

#46 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 25, 2013 11:56 am

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it is the tree:

perkizitore

#47 Post by perkizitore » Sat May 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Is he the one who shot a girl?

rohmerin

#48 Post by rohmerin » Sun May 26, 2013 7:04 am

Bed fantasies: Alain Delon in bed.

http://rohmerin.blogspot.com.es/2012/08 ... n-bed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Romy Schneider makes me straight (in the closet). How beautiful couple they were ! Impressive how she was prettier and prettier getting older. Alain Delon was in Cannes yesterday (or friday) and He is quite old.

http://rohmerin.blogspot.com.es/2012/02 ... eider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;