The Reflecting Skin (Philip Ridley, 1990)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
RossyG

Re: The Reflecting Skin (Philip Ridley, 1990)

#26 Post by RossyG » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:49 am

A pizza party classic? Is it?

JamesF

#27 Post by JamesF » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:39 pm

I don't really know what that means, so... yes?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Beamish's link on the previous page to a midnight screening of the film identified the theatre's selections as:
A carefully curated collection of pizza party classics, fist explosions, international adrenaline-pumpers, ‘80s funbombs, white-hot laugh factories, total freakazoids and more

RossyG

#29 Post by RossyG » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm

JamesF wrote:I don't really know what that means, so... yes?
I'm presuming it's when people get together round a mate's house, eat pizza, drink beers, and watch a film. The Reflecting Skin seems an odd choice for that.

Not sure what fist explosions are. I remember boxing gloves exploding in the trailer for Rocky 4; perhaps they mean that.

International adrenalin pumpers. That's got to be Tour de France cyclists.

80's fun bombs? Possibly the tits on that tall bird from Police Academy; the one with the sunglasses and tight t-shirts.

Total freakazoids? Nope, got me on that one.

GaryC

#30 Post by GaryC » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:33 am

I saw this at the time, as the opening night film of the then Piccadilly Film Festival. I remember not liking it much then, though couldn't specify why twenty-five years later, but I'll certainly give it another chance. I liked The Passion of Darkly Noon quite a bit better, though haven't seen that either since its release.

jazzo

#31 Post by jazzo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:06 pm

In case anyone's interested, there is now a region 1 version of the Soda Pictures blu-ray available as of today, distributed by Toronto's Mongrel Media. I picked one up at Bay Street Video for $14.95 CAN this afternoon, and it seems to contain all the bonus content of the SP UK disc. It can also be ordered from amazon.ca at the link below for $12.99, which, for you Americans, is like a buck fifty or something these days:

https://www.amazon.ca/Reflecting-Skin-B ... lip+Ridley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really looking forward to revisiting it.

JamesF

#32 Post by JamesF » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:42 am

Hope you enjoy jazzo! Just to confirm here, the disc is basically identical (including the encodes of the feature and all the same extras), except for the Region A locking, additional optional French subtitles, and different trailers in the "Also Available From Soda Pictures" section. So the reviews on DVD Beaver et al should basically apply to this one too.

In addition, fans of the film should look out for the latest edition of Rue Morgue magazine, which has a cover feature on the film including new interviews with Philip Ridley and Jeremy Cooper, who played Seth.