Upcoming Movies on TV (US)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Feego

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (US)

#26 Post by Feego » Fri May 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Minkin wrote:Anyone have any other recommendations for TCM's May schedule? Things they're looking forward to seeing?
I'm looking forward to the TCM Underground double feature of It's Alive and The Baby on Saturday, May 9th. They are also going to air Dom's 80s spotlight Nadine on Tuesday, May 19th.

Here's their May promo.

Matthew

#27 Post by Matthew » Fri May 15, 2015 4:51 pm

The Third Man (Reed, 1949) is on TCM (USA), Friday May 29th at 8:00 EST.

If you are a fan of war films, TCM has a Memorial Day weekend three-day war movie marathon starting bright and early on Saturday, May 23rd.

Numero Trois

#28 Post by Numero Trois » Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Minkin wrote:What with the plethora of posts every week in the UK thread, it is a bit sad to find this thread so empty.I'd imagine someone would be able to post about interesting films playing each month, just on TCM alone.
I don't know about the pay-per-view channels or IFC/Sundance, but the variety of available films doesn't seem to be comparable to what shows up in the UK. I mean, can any American channel boast of broadcasting a film like this one? TCM did broadcast some of Chris Marker's better known movies some months back, but they're readily available on DVD. And the same goes for most of their programming it seems.

Minkin

#29 Post by Minkin » Sun May 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Numero Trois wrote:
Minkin wrote:What with the plethora of posts every week in the UK thread, it is a bit sad to find this thread so empty.I'd imagine someone would be able to post about interesting films playing each month, just on TCM alone.
I don't know about the pay-per-view channels or IFC/Sundance, but the variety of available films doesn't seem to be comparable to what shows up in the UK. I mean, can any American channel boast of broadcasting a film like this one? TCM did broadcast some of Chris Marker's better known movies some months back, but they're readily available on DVD. And the same goes for most of their programming it seems.
That's quite true, and the BBC does offer a vast trove of rare films. It's a bit tough for TCM to exactly compete, as (despite the lack of formal commercials) they're still a business, and have to sell their movie catalogs/cruises/tours/DVDs/etc to people of a certain age and taste in film (typically, 40s-50s Hollywood or "stars"). TCM does its best to offer a varied program, beyond the endlessly repeated films that play every month. I think the films I highlighted on the previous page are quite impressive, but that's about as risky as they get for the month.

I also just realized that they played It's Alive + The Baby for Mother's Day; hilarious. I did record + watch It's Alive - and enjoyed it immensely - it was like a remake of Them! only with a killer baby, and with a bit of Bigger than Life thrown in. Speaking of TCM Underground, does anybody else enjoy the new Underground promo? Infinitely better than the old one - of some dude running around a city.

I too don't know what the other channels - MGM/IFC/etc play, nor will I, as I already give far too much to TimeWarner for the like 5 channels I give a damn about (here's hoping the A la carte option one day appears). I discovered FXM not too long ago, but they seem to play the same rotation of about 30 movies endlessly, with a different crappy blockbuster (played with commercials) each night (like Click or Salt - although it looks like they're playing Tree of Life and The Hurt Locker soon). They do play like one random interesting film every blue moon (this Tuesday has Modesty Blaise (1966) - which I didn't know existed, and looks great. Monica Vitti in a Mod spy film). At least FXM doesn't have commercials for their classic films (so the channel is like TCM during the day, and then AMC for Prime Time). It being Fox though, you'd think they could pull some more interesting films from their vault than Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm everyday. As the FXM website's schedule is an absolute nightmare, the best way to see what's playing is LocateTV's listings (although it will only show up to 2 weeks worth of programing).

So, while I don't expect this thread to be nearly as exciting as the UK one, I still think we should be posting in it - as there are plenty of films worth mentioning each month - so we can jot them down/set the DVR. I'll at least post whatever I find of interest, whenever I do my monthly check - but I encourage others to post often - as there's always things that get overlooked, and just cause I don't highlight it, others will most likely be interested (like I'm going to record The Trial, just to see who's distributing it, as Kino recently lost the rights / said they no longer had it). Here's a few other films of note for May.

TUESDAY, MAY 19- (FXM) Modesty Blaise (1966)
SATURDAY, MAY 23 - (MeTV - Svengoolie) - The Land Unknown (1957)
WEDNESDAY, MAY 27 -(TCM) The Long Goodbye (1973)
SATURDAY, MAY 30 - (MeTV: Svengoolie) - The Invisible Ray (1936)
SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2015- (TCM) Mr. Wu (1927)

doh286

#30 Post by doh286 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:07 pm

I too don't know what the other channels - MGM/IFC/etc play, nor will I, as I already give far too much to TimeWarner for the like 5 channels I give a damn about (here's hoping the A la carte option one day appears). I discovered FXM not too long ago, but they seem to play the same rotation of about 30 movies endlessly, with a different crappy blockbuster (played with commercials) each night (like Click or Salt - although it looks like they're playing Tree of Life and The Hurt Locker soon). They do play like one random interesting film every blue moon (this Tuesday has Modesty Blaise (1966) - which I didn't know existed, and looks great. Monica Vitti in a Mod spy film). At least FXM doesn't have commercials for their classic films (so the channel is like TCM during the day, and then AMC for Prime Time). It being Fox though, you'd think they could pull some more interesting films from their vault than Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm everyday. As the FXM website's schedule is an absolute nightmare, the best way to see what's playing is LocateTV's listings (although it will only show up to 2 weeks worth of programing).
I don't know what is going on with the distribution of FXM on cable systems in my area. Comcast, here in the Midwest, has decided to put FXM on a sports package so you have to pay extra for it. The local AT&T cable system has FXM on the main digital package. It just seems strange that FXM would not be offered on the main digital package of a large cable system.

Minkin

#31 Post by Minkin » Sun May 24, 2015 9:51 pm

True to my word, I've gone through TCM for June. The month is dominated by noirs, so if that's your thing, they play nearly everyday. As before, here are some of the more interesting films for the month that I found (some are just ones that I plan to record):

THURSDAY, JUNE 04 - Bulldog Drummond marathon

SATURDAY, JUNE 06
Black Belt Jones (1974)
MeTV: Curucu, Beast of the Amazon

SUNDAY, JUNE 07 - Scaramouche (1923)

THURSDAY, JUNE 11 - Night Heaven Fell, The (1958)

SUNDAY, JUNE 14:
Greed (1924)
Zero Focus (Zero no shôten, 1961)
The Castle of Sand (Suna no utsuwa, 1974)

SATURDAY, JUNE 27:
Twice Upon A Time (1983)
Day in the Death of Donny B., A (1969)

MONDAY, JUNE 29:
Zombies on Broadway (1945)
Emigrants, The (1971)

----------------------------
As before, I'm not familiar with every last thing that plays - so if I've missed something, let me know! Perhaps someone's favorite noirs might be good to highlight.

theflirtydozen

#32 Post by theflirtydozen » Sun May 24, 2015 11:57 pm

Minkin wrote:SUNDAY, JUNE 14:
Greed (1924)
This is currently listed as the 129 minute version, but I know they've played the 4 hour one with the stills inserted before.

Numero Trois

#33 Post by Numero Trois » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:01 pm

This is what jumped out at me from July & August.

July 9-
Three from Joseph Losey back to back- The Boy With Green Hair, Finger of Guilt, Time Without Pity

July 14-
Zandy's Bride (1974, Jan Troell)
July 15-
Wanda (Barbara Loden)
July 28-
Ten hours straight of Les Blank- Always For Pleasure (1978), Spend It All (1971), Dry Wood (1973), Yum, Yum, Yum! A Taste of Cajun & Creole Cooking (1990), Garlic Is as Good as Ten Mothers (1980), Hot Pepper (1973), The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins (1969), A Well Spent Life (1971), Sprout Wings and Fly (1983), In Heaven There Is No Beer? (1984), God Respects Us When We Work But Loves Us When We Dance (1968)

August 15-
The Exiles (Max Ophuls)
August 22-
Knight Without Armour (Jacques Feyder)

Numero Trois

#34 Post by Numero Trois » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:47 pm

theflirtydozen wrote:This is currently listed as the 129 minute version, but I know they've played the 4 hour one with the stills inserted before.
Yes. They first broadcast it in 1999.

Ribs

#35 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:06 pm

TCM currently has A Brighter Summer Day pencilled in for September 6th (technically 2.30 am on the 7th)

And on Sep 30th they'll be showing one of Michael Powell's early films, Something Always Happens, which a quick google seems to indicate has not been released on home video.

sir_luke

#36 Post by sir_luke » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Wow! I assume that means good news in terms of a home video release sooner rather than later?

doh286

#37 Post by doh286 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:04 pm

La chienne is scheduled to air on TCM on October 4th (technically, the 5th) at 2:30 AM/1:30 AM CT.

Ribs

#38 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:32 am

Some other interesting bits and bobs:

- Ava Duvernay's 2012 film, Middle of Nowhere, 10/23 at 1.30am
- Immediately following that, the complete Little Dorrit (1988, ~6 hours)
- Kieslowski's No End, 10/19 at 3.45am
- The lost 1916 Sherlock Holmes, 10/18, @9.30pm

Minkin

#39 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:45 pm

Sorry for skipping July, but here's August (its a rather standard month, other than the films mentioned above. Blame the "Summer under the Stars" for the less interesting lineup):

SUNDAY, AUGUST 02
Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964)

THURSDAY, AUGUST 06
The Ipcress File (1965)

MONDAY, AUGUST 10
Our Dancing Daughters (1928)

SATURDAY, AUGUST 22
Shanghai Express (1932)

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 26 - Greta Garbo Day
The Temptress (1926)
Flesh and the Devil (1926)
A Woman of Affairs (1928)
Wild Orchids (1929)
The Kiss (1929)

Numero Trois

#40 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Sunday, September 6 @ 01:30 AM (ET)-
A Page of Madness (1926) (Teinosuke Kinugasa)- This is a can't-miss. I don't think there's a DVD release over here.

Monday, September 7 @ 10:00 PM (ET) -
Fragments: Surviving Pieces of Lost Films (2011) (Rare scenes, reels and segments from lost silents and early sound films.)

Saturday, October 03, 2015 @ 8:00 AM-
Chimes at Midnight

Thursday, October 22 @ 08:00 PM (ET) -
Losing Ground (Kathleen Collins, 1982)- Not out on DVD until the end of the year.

Saturday, October 24 @ 02:45 AM (ET)-
Decline of Western Civilization, Part III (1998)

Saturday, October 31, 2015 @ 2:45 am.-
David Lynch short films- The Alphabet, Premonition Following an Evil Deed, The Grandmother, The Amputee vers. 2, Dumbland, The Amputee vers. 1, Six Men Getting Sick

Ribs

#41 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:40 am

The Apu Trilogy will be aired in its entirety on 11/30.

Capra's Lost Horizon will be airing 11/27, it's been recently restored so it could be a nice-looking new print (given this doesn't seem likely to illicit a BD release anytime soon).

Numero Trois

#42 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Tried to stick to what's rarely shown on the channel, though some of these are out on DVD.

December 19-
Andrzej Zulawski's Possession

December 21-
Girlfriends (Claudia Weill, 1978)
Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York (Sidney J. Furie, 1975)

January 2-
Smile (Michael Ritchie)

January 3-
Muriel (Resnais)

January 4-
Spanish Earth (Joris Ivens, 1937)
January 5 -
Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)
January 8 -
Two Arabian Knights (Lewis Milestone, 1927)
January 16-
Alice, Sweet Alice (Alfred Sole, 1977)

January 17-
The Blue Bird (Tourneur, 1918)

January 24-
Mickey (F. Richard Jones , 1918)
Two from Raffaello Matarazzo- Nobody's Children (1951), The White Angel (1955)

January 25-
Twelve hours of Tod Browning- Unholy Three, The Blackbird (1926), The Show (1927), West of Zanzibar (1928), The Thirteenth Chair (1929), Where East is East (1929), Freaks, Fast Workers (1933), Mark of the Vampire
January 26-
Come Back, Africa (Lionel Rogosin, 1959)- not to be missed

January 30-
Some Call It Loving (James B. Harris, 1973)

January 31
The Housemaid (Kim Ki-Young, 1960)
The Magician (Rex Ingram, 1926)

Numero Trois

#43 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:06 am

On January 1, Anatole Litvak's The Long Night will come one. Completely out of print in the US, not even on DVD-R. Some of the European editions might also be out of print.

Feego

#44 Post by Feego » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:15 pm

This is very late notice, but I just saw that Joseph Losey's 1951 remake of M is airing tonight (1/1/16) on TCM at 10:15 pm eastern time.

Numero Trois

#45 Post by Numero Trois » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:03 am

Feego wrote: Joseph Losey's 1951 remake of M
It'll be shown again on Thursday, March 10. Can't wait to see it.

Numero Trois

#46 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:54 am

It only took over a decade, but I finally figured out you can jump ahead to the exact day on the TCM schedule page by changing the date on the URL at the top of the page. That usually works up to two months ahead of time.

Friday January 15:
Abraham Lincoln (1930) - (D.W. Griffith's first sound film)
Raw Deal (Anthony Mann, 1948)

Sunday January 17-
The Blue Bird (Maurice Tourneur, 1918)

February 4-
You're a Big Boy Now (Coppola, 1966)

February 6-
The Star (Stuart Heisler, 1952) - DVD available, but I seriously doubt they've broadcast this one very often.

February 10-
This Land Is Mine (1943)- Renoir, of course

Friday, February 12-
Bloodbrothers (Robert Mulligan , 1978)- The reviews make this sound unpromising, but would you rather risk the DVD-R?

Monday February 22-
The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931)- DVD-R or TCM, take your pick

Thursday, March 3-
Red-Headed Woman (1932)- On the TCM Forbidden Hollywood set. Pre-code Harlow. Part of a series of films starring Harlow during daytime hours that day.

Saturday, March 5-
Ninety minutes of David Lynch shorts- The Amputee, Version 2(1974), The Amputee, Version 1(1974), The Grandmother (1970), Premonition Following an Evil Deed (1995), Six Men Getting Sick (1966), The Alphabet (1968), DumbLand: My Teeth Are Bleeding (2002), DumbLand: Ants (2002), DumbLand: The Doctor (2002) , DumbLand: Get the Stick! (2002), DumbLand: Uncle BOB(2002), DumbLand: The Treadmill (2002), DumbLand: The Neighbor (2002), DumbLand: A Friend Visits (2002)

Sunday, March 6-
A Lesson In Love (Bergman, 1954) - only available on Region 2 and Hulu at this time

Monday March 7:
The Picasso Summer (Serge Bourguignon, 1969)- This looks like a miss but at least it has photography by Vilmos Zsigmond. Also on DVD-R

Tuesday March 8:
My Cousin Rachel (Henry Koster, 1952) - so it comes down to Twilight Time, renting online, Region 2 or TCM, take your pick

Wednesday March 9:
Disney shorts- The Whalers (David Hand, 1938) featuring Mickey and Donald and Sea Scouts (Dick Lundy, 1939) featuring Donald and relatives

Thursday March 10:
M ( Joseph Losey, 1951)- apparently there's no decent DVD release of this one. Not to be missed.

Sunday March 13:
Laurel & Hardy shorts- Putting Pants on Phillip (Clyde Bruckman, 1927), Thundering Fleas (Robert F McGowan, 1926), Do Detectives Think? (Fred Guiol, 1927)
The Devil's Eye (Bergman, 1960)- only on Hulu or Region 2

Monday March 14:
El Greco (Luciano Salce, 1966)- Bosley Crowther didn't like it so that's promising but then again it's a biopic. Not on DVD anywhere it seems. Amazon only has lobby cards of this film

Sunday March 20
Fatty Arbuckle shorts - That Little Band of Gold(1915), My Stars (1926), Fool's Luck(1926), Curses (1925), The Movies (1925), Back Stage (1919)

Monday March 21
A Quiet Place in the Country (Elio Petri, 1969) - available on MGM DVD-R and Region 2 with subtitles

Friday March 25:
animation during the daytime-
Magic Boy (Akira Daikubara, 1959)
Twice Upon a Time (John Korty and Charles Swenson, 1983)

Desiree (Henry Koster, 1954)- available on Twilight Time bluray and standard Region 2

Wednesday March 30
Dead of Night (Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden and Robert Hamer, 1945) - Very much OOP over here. There was a Anchor Bay two-fer at one point; now it's only Region 2. It's Ealing, so of course don't miss it.

The Sniper (Dmytryk, 1952)- This was available on the OOP Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics I set. Not sure if it's still available on Region 2

Thurday March 31
L'amore (Roberto Rossellini, 1948) - Released as part of the BFI's Germany, Year Zero set last year. The film stars Fellini and Magnani, so of course not to be missed.

Sunday April 3
Alice In The Cities (Wim Wenders, 1974) - also on Hulu and Region 2

Monday April 4
Goodbye Again (Anatole Litvak, 1961)- Still doesn't have a DVD release over here. There's a Korean version and a Region 2 that might be OOP. I always much preferred this one over his Mayerling. Ingrid Bergman, Yves Montand and Anthony Perkins all hit the right notes in this drama.

Sunday April 10
Peppermint Frappe (Carlos Saura, 1967)- also on Hulu

Saturday April 16
The House by the Cemetery (Lucio Fulci, 1984)- Other sources give 1981 as the year. Still available from Arrow.

Sunday April 17-
Wild Rose (Yu Sun, 1932)- TCM has the incorrect director name for this. DVD available as a companion to the book Wang Renmei: The Wildcat of Shanghai. Not sure of the quality.

Four Bags Full (Claude Autant-Lara , 1957) a.k.a. "La Traversee de Paris" and "A Pig Across Paris." - Doesn't seem be available anywhere here, not even for streaming. The reviews make it sound like a French version of Verhoeven's Black Book- i.e. a subversive take on the country's myths about the Resistance. Armond gave a pretty coherent positive take on it

Tuesday April 19
A Taste of Honey (Tony Richardson, 1962)- DVD appears to be OOP everywhere. It can apparently be seen on Fandor.

Saturday, April 23, 2016
From the Life of the Marionettes (Bergman, 1980)- also on Hulu and Region 2 of course

Wednesday, April 27, 2016-
Five from Pabst:
Pandora's Box (1928), Diary Of A Lost Girl (1929), Westfront 1918 (1930), 3 Penny Opera (1931), Kameradschaft (1931)- Of these only three have domestic DVD releases. Westfront and Kameradschaft have been released in Germany and that's about it. Not to be missed. Especially Westfront, which is one of the all time great anti-war films. TCM very seldom broadcasts it- like maybe only a small handful of times per decade.

Links to the later April dates (which don't always work) can be found right here
Last edited by Numero Trois on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#47 Post by Drucker » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 am

I wish I knew about it sooner, but I tuned in 2/3rds of the way through Love In The Afternoon, the 1957 Billy Wilder film last night. Looked really great, definitely in true HD, and in the 1.78 aspect ratio. Does this film have a good DVD release anywhere? There always seems to be a Wilder film I didn't know about that I have to see!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:34 pm

My Cousin Rachel is awful, A Lesson in Love is a fun Bergman trifle (the Devil's Eye is even more minor) and From the Life of Marionettes is one of Bergman's worst, Desiree's only charms are in its set design and costuming, so it's better served by a Blu-Ray viewing,

colinr0380

#49 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:12 pm

Numero Trois wrote:Saturday April 16
The House by the Cemetery (Lucio Fulci, 1984)- Other sources give 1981 as the year. Still available from Arrow.
It is definitely 1981 as its the third film in a loose trilogy following on from City of the Living Dead and The Beyond (even if The Black Cat turns up in between!). It was a very brief period of Fulci's career and Stephen Thrower in his book on the director, Beyond Terror, described this I think as his 'golden age'! After this high point of spectacular gore combining with fever-dreamlike narratives things start to get harsher (the film after House By The Cemetery is the brutal New York Ripper) and not quite so successfully bizarre in their strangeness (Manhattan Baby cashing in on the the Exorcist and Omen trends, with a bit of The Awakening thrown in; Murder-Rock: Dancing Death's fusion of Flashdance, disco and death). So 1984 is long past Fulci's heyday, even if the films are still interesting to watch!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Holywell

#50 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:47 am

Friday, January 29
TCM, 3:30 PM (ET)

A MODERN HERO (1934)
A circus rider makes a hit in the automotive industry but can't find happiness.

Dir: G.W. Pabst
Cast: Richard Barthelmess, Jean Muir, Marjorie Rambeau
BW-71 mins.