Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
j99

Re: Passages

#3351 Post by j99 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 am

It has been a bad year so far for music deaths. Some of Donna Summer's 70s work with Moroder was excellent, especially this mighty extended version of I Feel Love.

colinr0380

#3352 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:02 am

I somehow wonder if the irony of playing "Staying Alive" as a tribute has been lost on the radio schedulers. Although it does give me the chance to link to the use of that music in one of the undisputably greatest films of all time!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hearthesilence

#3353 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 am

I couldn't believe the 'stayin' alive' puns after he woke from his coma, but if you have a hit song with that kind of title, it's inevitable.

Lemmy Caution

#3354 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 am

My favorite version of To Love Somebody -- The Sweet Inspirations (Cissy Houston's group).

Yeah, James Carr was the real deal.
But there are lots of lesser-known soul singers I champion.
Sam Baker out of Nashville (Sound Stage 7 records)
Check out I Love You, or It's All Over. Just classic, albeit unknown, soul.
Here's a link to an MP3 of Sam Baker's Sometimes You Have To Cry. Give a listen. Fantastic stuff.

Darrell Banks like Carr had late 60's success, until Banks was shot by a policeman fooling around with his girlfriend. Or some such.
Barbara Lynn is much under-appreciated.

Probably the two soul singers I listen to the most are Arthur Alexander and Howard Tate who are only half-forgotten. (And Jerry Butler, who remains well-known)
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

L.A.

#3355 Post by L.A. » Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 am

From Robin Gibb's solo work Juliet is one of my favorites.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3356 Post by Drucker » Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:Probably the two soul singers I listen to the most are Arthur Alexander and Howard Tate who are only half-forgotten.
I'm also under the impression that Howard Tate WANTED to remain forgotten. He wasn't into the fame...

Back on topic, didn't The Bee Gees write "To Love Somebody" hoping Otis would record it...which didn't happen because of his death?

sherlockjr

#3357 Post by sherlockjr » Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:My favorite version of To Love Somebody -- The Sweet Inspirations (Cissy Houston's group).

Here's a link to an MP3 of Sam Baker's Sometimes You Have To Cry. Give a listen. Fantastic stuff.

Darrell Banks like Carr had late 60's success, until Banks was shot by a policeman fooling around with his girlfriend. Or some such.

Probably the two soul singers I listen to the most are Arthur Alexander and Howard Tate who are only half-forgotten. (And Jerry Butler, who remains well-known)
Great names! And here's one for you in case you may have missed him: O.V. Wright, who recorded out of Royal Studio in Memphis for producer Willie Mitchell.

tajmahal

#3358 Post by tajmahal » Tue May 22, 2012 3:20 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:My favorite version of To Love Somebody -- The Sweet Inspirations (Cissy Houston's group).

An excellent summation of singers who should be much more celebrated for their talent.

If you have a few hours to spare, jump soul-deep into this site: http://www.sirshambling.com/

A labour of love if there ever was one.

puxzkkx

#3359 Post by puxzkkx » Tue May 22, 2012 3:53 am

Bonello's House of Tolerance tipped me off onto Lee Moses, who really is fantastic.

fdm

#3360 Post by fdm » Tue May 29, 2012 10:09 pm

ianungstad

#3361 Post by ianungstad » Tue May 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Doc Watson's version of Omie Wise is one of the most haunting songs I've ever heard. RIP.

manicsounds

#3362 Post by manicsounds » Wed May 30, 2012 2:58 am

knives

#3363 Post by knives » Wed May 30, 2012 3:56 am

Here I was thinking he was immortal. Haven't really liked his films, but it's hard to argue against such a huge influence.

tajmahal

#3364 Post by tajmahal » Wed May 30, 2012 4:30 am

knives wrote:Here I was thinking he was immortal. Haven't really liked his films, but it's hard to argue against such a huge influence.
Kaneto Shindo was one of the first, if not the first, Japanese filmmaker I watched after 'discovering' Kurosawa. Thanks not in part, but in full, to Eureka. Thinking about it now, Kurosawa lead to Shindo, who lead to Imamura. Imamura opened the door to a lifelong passion for Japanese filmmaking. Returning to Shindo has been a more profound and moving experience, if less a less frequent one, than has Kurosawa. (gramma is up to shit, but it's been a long day!)

At 100, it is not a feeling of sadness or loss, but one of reflection on the life of a filmmaker who did his own thing, and did it wonderfully. A fine, humane filmmaker, and I can only summise, a decent and very-well respected man.

puxzkkx

#3365 Post by puxzkkx » Wed May 30, 2012 6:32 am

...and one who kept working until the very end! I remember watching the Tokyo International Film Festival prizegiving in 2010 where Shindo accepted a prize for "Post Card" in a wheelchair and announced his retirement on stage. What energy and drive. He was one of the last links to classic Japanese filmmaking. RIP.

manicsounds

#3366 Post by manicsounds » Wed May 30, 2012 7:42 am

I'm glad he was able to do some audio commentary tracks before his death. Hopefully more will be available in subtitled form in the future.

jbeall

#3367 Post by jbeall » Wed May 30, 2012 9:33 am

flyonthewall2983

#3368 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Feego

#3369 Post by Feego » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am

bamwc2

#3370 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:30 am

warren oates

#3371 Post by warren oates » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Bradbury was my first favorite writer, the first literary author I consciously noticed and sought out, when I was in grade school. A master of the short story. I can still remember the impact of my first experience with stories like "The Veldt" and "All Summer In A Day." One of my favorites is a relatively late story called "The Toynbee Convector." It's the hundreds of excellent stories and The Martian Chronicles rather than his more famous novels that mean the most to me. I still think about passages from his memoir Dandelion Wine too. There's something unique in its poetic evocation of a mid-century American childhood that's equaled maybe only in The Tree Of Life. I'll also remember him as a lover of libraries, an autodidact, a champion of the imagination who'd rush from his hypnagogic morning waking straight to the typewriter every single day and a contrarian Angeleno who never bothered learning how to drive.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3372 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Ray Bradbury Theater was another good entry in that late 80s/early 90s TV anthology horror boom too. I read the Illustrated Man last year and enjoyed it quite a bit as well. He looked pretty bad in that videoconference thing he participated in not too long ago, so I can't say this is too surprising, but a sad announcement indeed

warren oates

#3373 Post by warren oates » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks for reminding me about this, domino. When I think of his TV work, I tend to think of The Twilight Zone, but the stuff he did for The Ray Bradbury Theater was arguably the best film/TV incarnation of his work. I especially loved "The Screaming Woman" and "Gotcha!" the latter of which is actually not an adaptation so much as a wholesale rewrite and recombination of two of his previous short stories. Along with Haneke's The Piano Teacher, "Gotcha!" has one of the all-time greatest "coming out" scenes ever.

bamwc2

#3374 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Well, this is a disappointment. I know that the political right is second only to the Mormon church in postmortem conversions, but I'm pretty sure that the author's right here. I already knew about the Moore kerfuffle and I remember seeing him on Politically Incorrect about maybe 15 years ago, telling Bill Maher that there was no such thing as sexual harassment. Indeed, he maintained that a secretary should take it as a compliment if she got a slap on the rear. About a year or two ago, I also happened to catch him on Dennis Miller's radio show. I only heard the tail end of the interview, in which he discussed his TCM picks (two Lon Chaney flicks, btw!), but for all I know, they may have talked politics before that...

Actually while on the subject of his politics it's worth noting that Bradbury always vehemently denied the reading of Fahrenheit 451 that placed it as a dystopian political allegory. He maintained that it was just a story about the damned popularity of televisions.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#3375 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:14 pm