It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7007 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 281  Next
 Post subject: Re: Passages
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm 

Glen Campbell.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 pm 

bearcuborg wrote:

I have no great affection for his big country hits (tiresomely inescapable when I was a kid), but 'Wichita Lineman' is an absolute classic, and he sang one of Brian Wilson's most exquisite songs and productions, 'Guess I'm Dumb':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4L15-ImCyE

He also sang the lead on Sagittarius' gorgeous psych classic 'My World Fell Down':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-oGEhDP0E

That's three more stabs at immortality than most artists get.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am 

zedz wrote:
bearcuborg wrote:

I have no great affection for his big country hits (tiresomely inescapable when I was a kid), but 'Wichita Lineman' is an absolute classic,

There used to be a great series on Radio 4 ( So great I have forgotten the title) which was an hour long and went into the genesis of certain songs and how they evolved. Apart from the Pogues 'Fairytale in New York' the one that stuck in my mind was Jimmy Webb talking about the wind in the telegraph wires that gave him the idea of Linesman. It is also one of Richard Thompson's all-time favourites

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:46 pm 

antnield wrote:

One of the Warner Bros. stable of hunks from the late '50s - early '60s, and not a bad actor. He reportedly had 8 wives and 10 kids... and was a Republican! (That ties Mickey Rooney on wives and beats him by one kid.) According to actress Suzanne Pleshette, his nickname on the WB lot was, not surprisingly, Ty 'Hard-on'.

Post subject: Wichita Lineman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:58 pm 

Ray Charles and Dwight Yoakam do fine covers.
But I'm partial to Cassandra Wilson's slow, mournful version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 pm 

Barbara Cook.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm 

Yisrael Kristal, the world's oldest man, passed this weekend at the age of 113.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 am 

Spanish auteur Basilio Martin Patino
and Alex de la Iglesia's fav actress Terele Pavez

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 am 

The very talented Joe Bolonga has passed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 pm 

rohmerin wrote:
...and Alex de la Iglesia's fav actress Terele Pavez

When you mentioned her, I immediately thought back to perhaps the best scene in The Day of the Beast in which Álex Angulo's priest, trying to prevent the apocalypse by raising the devil on his terms, and having just struck out with a busty dimwit in the opposite flat, decides in frustration to siphon some 'virgin blood' for a ritual from the young daughter of the family he's lodging with, only to have not reckoned with the wrath of Terele Pávez's matriarch dispensing some vigilante justice!

As you say, she's all over Alex de la Iglesia's films (300 Bullets, The Baby's Room, La communidad. Even in de la Iglesia's film released this year: The Bar), but she's also worked a few times with Agustí Villaronga - I've heard a lot about Villaronga's 1997 apparent mother-daughter extreme incest/ghost/torture film 99.9, in which she plays the mother, but have not had the opportunity to see it as yet (its one of the major titles that I've been looking for an opportunity to see for almost two decades now), and interestingly Pavez has just appeared in Villaronga's latest film Uncertain Glory, also released this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 am 

colinr0380 you knew more than me. Terele was the daughter of the man who arrested and killed Lorca the poet in Granada and said that famous sentence banned in the forum. Her two sisters are also actress. Emma Penella (who died) was the best of them, she is in The Executioner. Villaronga is quite good but the two pictures you mention I've not seen them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 pm 

Eric Zumbrunnen, A.C.E.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 pm 

Bruce Forsyth, at 89. He had occasional acting roles, but he was a household name in the UK as a television presenter and entertainer. He was recognised by Guinness for the length of his career - he appeared on British TV in 1939 at the age of ten or eleven, making him one of the last remaining people to have appeared on television before World War II.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm 

He's in small roles in Bedknobs and Broomsticks and in the Julie Andrews musical Star!. And bizarrely in an episode of Magnum P.I., doing his gameshow host bit!

Its difficult to understate the longevity of his career in light entertainment. The Generation Game ran on and off for decades on the BBC (and carried on with different host long after he moved on, to variable success) and his stint at the commercial ITV channel led to him hosting shows like The Price Is Right and Play Your Cards Right ("Higher! Lower!"). And then he came back in a big way hosting Strictly Come Dancing in the last decade.

Then there's his hosting appearance on Have I Got News For You which he used to hijack (in the best possible way) the show into being all about his career highlights!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:10 pm 

not forgetting his memorable role in this work of genius/madness, still waiting for the Criterion blu...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK5y2FMLGyc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:57 pm 

Is it safe to call Forsyth an old school vaudevillian? A lot of his style would seem to have come from the musical hall stage (involving the audience with a nod and a wink; musical-comedy acts, and so on), just transferred into television variety shows and gameshow formats.

Post subject: Passages
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 pm 

Dale Spina, WB marketing exec (from Chariots of Fire to Batman (1989))

Last edited by djproject on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 pm 

Sonny Landham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 pm 

GaryC wrote:
Bruce Forsyth, at 89. He had occasional acting roles, but he was a household name in the UK as a television presenter and entertainer. He was recognised by Guinness for the length of his career - he appeared on British TV in 1939 at the age of ten or eleven, making him one of the last remaining people to have appeared on television before World War II.

When I interviewed John Krish a few years ago, we both had a good laugh about the fact that the voice emerging from the telly in his devastating documentary about old-age loneliness I Think They Call Him John was all too instantly recognisable even today. Krish said it was an inspired (if accidental) choice, because he wanted a voice that would sum up the essential vacuousness of much British television, and he could easily have picked someone who'd be long forgotten now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 pm 

Dick Gregory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:13 am 

CBS Sunday Morning ran a great piece on him last month.

Joe Morton's play based on his life was pretty inspirational. In today's political climate, he'll be missed all the more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:09 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Jerry Lewis discussion moved here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 am 

Brian Aldiss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 am 

antnield wrote:

A huge loss, one of the key figures in post-war British Science Fiction not only as an author but as a critic, historian and anthologist. The Helliconia Trilogy was one of my favourites as a teenager, with Hothouse, Frankenstein Unbound and Non-Stop as later discoveries. His history of SF, Billion (Trillion) Year Spree, is also a great, hugely entertaining read.

Incidentally, as at last night certainly, many of his books are available on the Kindle for a very low price.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:27 pm 

"Supertoys Last All Summer Long" can be read at Aldiss's own site. This, of course, was developed by Stanley Kubrick into A.I.: Artificial Intelligence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7007 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 281  Next