It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276  Next
 Post subject: Re: Passages
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

Thanks! If I knew how to I'd try to put up the Man-Machine episode, but unfortunately I'm not that tech savvy, so I'm grateful that someone at least put these two episodes up! I can only assume that the reason why the Man-Machine episode isn't there too is because its the most film clip heavy episode of the three (Maximum Overdrive, Scanners, 2001 and so on) that might make it a problem. I note that the "Them" episode has its clips from The Day The Earth Stood Still truncated a bit, including the final one that threatens humanity with destruction if we don't learn to curb out violent ways!

Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:43 pm 

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, according to Jim Ross' Twitter. There's nothing official on it, but I'd have no reason to believe he'd report something false like this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 pm 

FigrinDan wrote:
Iconic illustrator of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, Basil Gogos.

Basil Gogos was a regular every year at Heroescon. It was always a pleasure to talk to him as he had some great stories of the comic book and "monsters" industry. When he missed this year's show because he was ill, I kinda felt in me that he wouldn't be around much longer. Really sad that my feelings came true as he was an amazing artist and a great person.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 pm 

Carlos Muñoz Portal, veteran location scout, murdered in a dangerous part of Mexico while scouting for Narcos season 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 pm 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, according to Jim Ross' Twitter. There's nothing official on it, but I'd have no reason to believe he'd report something false like this.

It's been confirmed by WWE. Heenan was the best manager of all time and the best heel commentator ever. He had been very ill for the past 10 years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:16 pm 

Longer than that. He was diagnosed with throat cancer in around 2001-2. He recovered well enough initially but over time he started to lose the lower half of his mouth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 am 

Heenan was the all-around best at what he did. A fabulous rat-fink heel manager, a witty promo, and the best, funniest, most wildly entertaining color commentary man there will ever be. Heenan was an integral part of wrestling when I was growing up, and he's one of the biggest reasons I'm a fan. I'm glad his pain is over, but I'm terribly sad to know he's gone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:05 am 

One of several interviews he did with Jim Cornette, where they both talk about their experiences in the business. Cornette was considered the heir apparent to Heenan as a manager, color commentator and all-around personality, and makes no bones about how he influenced him from a young age, watching him work the Indianapolis territory owned by Dick The Bruiser.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 pm 

Found this online today, just to give you a good idea of how hated he was.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm 

Jake LaMotta, whose life Robert De Niro portrayed in Raging Bull. But as well as the boxing career he also made a few acting appearances: in a small role in the Michael Winner film Firepower and in Maniac Cop.

But probably his most interesting appearances are in a couple of films from the mid to late 1960s: in the Most Dangerous Game-like exploitation film Confessions of a Psycho Cat from 1968, and especially the PTSD drama piece The Runaways from 1963 (which I'd like to see in full some time, though its a film whose original negative was apparently destroyed in a fire in the early 1980s).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:00 pm 

Lillian Ross, longtime staff writer at The New Yorker, and author of the incredible book Picture, on the making (and unmaking) of John Huston's The Red Badge of Courage, age 99. If you care at all about classic Hollywood filmmaking, you need to have read that book (plus maybe her amazing article on the cowardice of Hollywood during the Red Scare).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:16 pm 

Bernie Casey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:09 pm 

Grzegorz Królikiewicz, probably the greatest Polish filmmaker to pass almost entirely under most film buffs' radar. Poland is not short of important experimental filmmakers, but Królikiewicz was one of the few who made the transition to fiction features without any visible compromise. He was very prolific, and the five features that I've seen only scratch the surface of his vast output, much of which is off limits to non-Polish speakers, but 1977's Dancing Hawk is one of the all-time classic Eastern European "wtf?" films, a political satire so insanely off-kilter both visually (future experimental-video giant Zbigniew Rybczyński was the cinematographer) and tonally that it's hard to believe it was ever greenlit by anyone, let alone the system in Communist Poland at the time. It's the best "Second Run" film that the label never actually distributed - but I hear that this certainly wasn't for want of trying. RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 pm 

William G. Stewart, UK producer and director of sitcoms (including the 1973 big-screen spin-off of Father Dear Father) and game shows. In the latter capacity he was also the presenter of 15 to 1 between 1988 and 2003. I met him twice, when I was on the show, in 2000 and 2003.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 pm 

I've got to ask how far you got in your apppearances! And did you get involved in those gruelling looking dragged out battles between people bouncing questions back and forth to knock each other out?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:23 am 

colinr0380 wrote:
I've got to ask how far you got in your apppearances! And did you get involved in those gruelling looking dragged out battles between people bouncing questions back and forth to knock each other out?

The first time I got my first two questions wrong so went out in the first round. The second time was after they allowed people to re-audition if they'd appeared before but hadn't won their heat. That time, I was fourth, i.e. last one out before the commercial break.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:08 pm 

Charles Bradley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:43 am 

Jan Triska. Fell or jumped off a bridge in Prague.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:40 pm 

That's awful. His two biggest roles were probably the buttoned up teacher in the Academy Award nominated Elementary School (diected by Jan Sverák who later won the Foreign Language Film Oscar with Kolya) and the Marquis in Jan Svankmajer's Lunacy.

But he seemed the go to person to play very small Eastern European-y roles in American films during the early to mid 80s! He's the very briefly seen Russian spymaster in Peckinpah's The Osterman Weekend, playing a Swedish architect(!) in Nothing Lasts Forever, Polish in the Dudley Moore remake of Unfaithfully Yours, Russian again in 2010 and so on. It goes right up to things like Apt Pupil, Lost Souls and Ronin in the late 90s too. It seems from the imdb page that he had a very prolific film and TV career before leaving for the US.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:35 pm 

Along with Ronin, Triska was the villain in Andersonville -- like Michael Gambon, an unlikely late-career favorite of Frankenheimer's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 am 

Gisèle Casadesus has passed away at age 103.

I'm having trouble attaching a link.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:12 pm 

Květa Fialová

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 am 

Tony Booth. Best known for being Tony Blair's father-in-law and his TV roles (again, most famously Alf Garnett's son-in-law in Till Death Us Do Part), but also a regular in the Confessions... series of films.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm 

Paul Horner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 pm 

Hugh Hefner has passed away at 91

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276  Next