It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 281  Next
 Post subject: Re: Passages
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am 

A good enough excuse to share my favorite Letterman Top Ten list

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:57 am 

Hefner was an incredible man. A rebel and a maverick, he promoted progressive causes during the very conservative 1950's, and pushed for integration/leadership roles for women before many others. Beyond financing films like Polanski's Macbeth and Bogdanovich's Saint Jack, he was a major contributor to film preservation projects at the UCLA Film & Television Archive and USC. People often forget that Playboy was an early champion of authors like Ray Bradbury, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Haruki Murakami.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:14 pm 

He was also, by several accounts, a giant creep who was basically running indentured sexual servitude with his multiple "girlfriends". None of this was secret, so the hagiography coming from some circles is more than a little weird.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:42 pm 

med wrote:
He was also, by several accounts, a giant creep who was basically running indentured sexual servitude with his multiple "girlfriends". None of this was secret, so the hagiography coming from some circles is more than a little weird.

I don't care about his personal life. Only the massive sea change in American popular culture that he helped to shepherd, coupled with his lifelong commitment to liberal platforms, has any interest to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 pm 

It can also be argued that sea change also did as much damage to women, as it did to liberate them too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:36 pm 

Anne Jeffreys

Here's the Huell Howser episode about her and her friendship with Ann Rutherford

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:47 pm 

beamish13 wrote:
med wrote:

I don't care about his personal life. Only the massive sea change in American popular culture that he helped to shepherd, coupled with his lifelong commitment to liberal platforms, has any interest to me.

Cool. In his professional life, he helped foster an unrealistic standard of female beauty and preyed on the women who posed in his magazine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:53 am 

And I don't get the impression he really ever went the extra mile with his liberal beliefs. From what I can gather, he was just friendly to African-Americans because he loved jazz and had a hard-on for black women.

If the sex-positive people I follow on social media are any indication, he has a complex legacy. Some see him as the icon he is in pop culture, but others exploitative and predatory. I've got to say the fact that his plot will be next to Marilyn Monroe's, considering her photos were used without her agreement in the first issue, is creepy as hell.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 pm 

Game show host Monty Hall at 96. I had no idea he was the father of actress Joanna Gleason.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:44 am 

Interestingly, my mom's cousin was one of the models on Let's Make A Deal back in the 60s (Barbara Lyon). And my cousin was a Playboy centerfold in the 90s. What a week for them. I don't really know whether Barbara is still around, but Danelle is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:17 pm 

Tom Petty

What a shitty, shitty day for multiple reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:59 pm 

His greatest feat to me is that he managed to be super relevant in the 70's, 80's and 90's in ways very, very few before and after managed to.

If you're a fan of the music I highly recommend reading both his biography by Warren Zanes, and the book Conversations With Tom Petty, co-written with Paul Zollo.

By some eerie coincidence I came across this video recently, and was wondering where I can share it here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:02 pm 

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:
Tom Petty

What a shitty, shitty day for multiple reasons.

Seriously, what a shitty month. When I saw that he had a cardiac arrest my heart sank even more cause I knew he wasn't going to be with us much longer. Rest In Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:15 pm 

Peter Bogdanovich's Runnin' Down a Dream is one of the best rock documentaries ever. It's four hours long so I'm warning you to put that much time aside because even if you're just a minor Tom Petty fan once you start watching you will not want to pause.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 pm 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
By some eerie coincidence I came across this video recently, and was wondering where I can share it here.

I remember Petty was on It's Garry Shandling's Show. There were maybe half a dozen people at Gary's house when a pregnant woman goes into labor. The baby is born and the camera became the POV of the baby and goes from person to person. Goo goo eyes, oh how cute, coochie coo and then it gets to Petty and he just has a look of ewww gross.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm 

I liked hearing Petty talk about the early days and how promoters would promote his band as a punk band even though they weren't. That was their uniqueness in their early days. Didn't quite fit into any genre.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm 

lacritfan wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:

I remember Petty was on It's Garry Shandling's Show. There were maybe half a dozen people at Gary's house when a pregnant woman goes into labor. The baby is born and the camera became the POV of the baby and goes from person to person. Goo goo eyes, oh how cute, coochie coo and then it gets to Petty and he just has a look of ewww gross.

He was later on Larry Sanders, where he almost gets into a fight backstage with Clint Black.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:45 pm 

The CBS headline from my link above changed from certain death to unconfirmed; I guess CBS got their original death report from TMZ, but the LAPD now can't confirm it. Anyone know what's going on? Keeping my fingers crossed...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 pm 

The article continues to say he had another cardiac arrest and is currently "clinging to life."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:08 pm 

As good as meat and potatoes rock can get - there certainly aren't many bands who were as consistent and reliable as singles artists over the same time frame (1977 - 1994). I didn't know who they were until maybe a dozen years into their career, and I think it was a bit longer before I realized how old they really were - they still seemed like a "new" band even though their music was fairly traditional (they were never great innovators, but simply great tunesmiths which is still no small feat).

Last edited by hearthesilence on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:13 pm 

Not sure I'd cut off their productivity date at '94. The She's the One soundtrack came out slightly after that--my favorite Petty song of all time, "Walls", comes from that. Something so simple about that song and I've listened to it so many times...Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks. Petty could carry lines like that. RIP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 pm 

"Walls" is okay but the soundtrack album was pretty bare of ideas and Petty even said this later on - he just didn't realize what soundtrack work would entail.

EDIT: Here's a summation of several interviews from another site:

Petty's clearly one of those guys who's just as hard on himself as he is on others, telling Rolling Stone he was no fan of his 1999 album 'Echo.' "I had just gotten divorced. My family was in complete upheaval. [Former bassist] Howie [Epstein] had really bad problems. But there was a record due." He also cites 1982's 'Long After Dark' -- which, we remind you, features the amazing 'You Got Lucky' -- as "another one that felt like treading water." But he saves his harshest words for his 1996 soundtrack to the movie 'She's the One.' "I hated that record -- the whole idea of it offended me," he told Men's Journal. "I only did it because I didn't have anything else to do. I liked [director] Ed [Burns], and thought he was pretty sharp, so I wrote him a couple of songs. And then it kept mushrooming... I took some stuff I hadn't used on 'Wildflowers,' really crummy versions, badly mixed, and put them on there. It was terrible, really. I'm disappointed I did that."

Last edited by hearthesilence on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:33 pm 

And a lot of the songs were written during the Wallflowers period anyway. Echo, The Last DJ and his last solo album Highway Companion had some really solid songs as well. The last two Heartbreakers albums had some good, but not as memorable work too. I listened to the first Mudcrutch album once and liked it but not much since. The 2nd one had a rather haunting video, co-directed by Sean Penn and starring Anthony Hopkins.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:54 pm 

I'm not sure how involved Petty was in creating/conceiving his music videos, but he did make a few remarkable ones that I remember playing a lot on MTV: "Don't Come Around Here No More," "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and "You Don't Know How It Feels"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 pm 

They were one of the first video bands, as they had a handful of songs that had professionally made clips before MTV ever launched. In America at least, I know artists like Queen and Rod Stewart did as well. He managed to tip that balance of making interesting videos, but never at the cost of the music. I'll have to read it again but I think in the Zanes book it's talked about that he would collaborate with directors as much as he was able to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 281  Next