It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278  Next
 Post subject: Re: Passages
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:46 am 
Not PETA approved

neilist wrote:

He's never been a particularly good director, tho' there is a lot of silly fun to be had with Nightmare City. Seven Blood-Stained Orchids isn't a half-bad giallo, either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 am 

Danielle Darrieux.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 am 

antnield wrote:

Adieu, Madame de...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 pm 

Brent Briscoe, according to Jim Beaver's Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:40 pm 

A couple days ago apparently

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:43 pm 

Argentinian film star Federico Luppi.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:12 pm 

Professor Wagstaff wrote:
Brent Briscoe, according to Jim Beaver's Twitter

He was one of my favorite additions to the Twin Peaks cast. I especially love the way he plays the scene where he has to question his friend who has been accused of murder and his hands shake as he writes down his notes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:02 pm 

Mr Sausage wrote:
neilist wrote:

He's never been a particularly good director, tho' there is a lot of silly fun to be had with Nightmare City. Seven Blood-Stained Orchids isn't a half-bad giallo, either.

Don't forget the notorious Cannibal Ferox, which was perhaps one of the few 'video nasties' to truly earn that title, as it pushes the Italian cannibal film to the ultimate extremes of queasily uncomfortable gore as a pure entertainment piece, at least compared to Cannibal Holocaust having some sort of larger moral message! Which kind of makes the real animal violence staged for the purposes of the film even less justifiable than it was in Ruggero Deodato's film. And of course it features the centrally shocking scene of a lady being suspended by metal hooks through her breasts which is certainly a uniquely inflammatory image! (Zora Kerova had some of the most notorious death scenes, even for the heady world of early 80s Italian gore cinema! See Anthropophagous and New York Ripper for the others) There's also a fantastic duelling commentary on the DVD for Cannibal Ferox between Lenzi trying to justify some of the more problematic scenes of the film (particularly the animal violence) and actor Giovanni Lombardo Radice, who played the main villain and hates the film with a passion, being candid about his drug-related motivations for taking a role in a film being shot in Leticia, an area that was at the heart of the cocaine trade of the time!

Lenzi also made the almost as notorious Eaten Alive! a couple of years earlier, though that's more in the tradition of his early 1970s cannibal film Man From Deep River (NSFW), which kicked off the subgenre and most obviously shows that Lenzi's cannibal films were all seemingly inspired by Richard Harris in A Man Called Horse (that's where the hook hanging scene in Ferox likely came from as well, as the 'ultimate' tribute to this wave of "First World Westerners meeting interchangeable 'primitive' tribe and learning about their often brutal customs" adventure/horror films).

On a different note both Man From Deep River and Eaten Alive! star Me Me Lai, who was the go to actress to portray the sympathetic native girl who falls in love with and helps our hero out (she also appeared in Ruggero Deodato's Jungle Holocaust from 1977), and who a few years later took on much the same kind of role as the duplicitous femme fatale heroine in Lars von Trier's first feature, The Element of Crime.

I still have not really explored Lenzi's earlier crime thrillers like Almost Human or The Cynic, The Rat and The Fist as yet though, or those giallos like Eyeball or So Sweet...So Perverse (with Carroll Baker and Jean-Louis Trintangant!), so there might be some interesting pieces to be discovered still!
rohmerin wrote:
Argentinian film star Federico Luppi.

Of course Luppi is perhaps the most well known as the star of Guillermo del Toro's Cronos, as well as having supporting roles in The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. Though he also had a few good roles in films by Adolfo Aristarain: A Place In The World and Martin (Hache), and had the lead role in John Sayles' film Men With Guns.

Though I'd also like to note his title role in Fermat's Room, the slightly more intellectual take on the Saw films! (or Cube)

Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:18 pm 
Not PETA approved

colin wrote:
I still have not really explored Lenzi's earlier crime thrillers like Almost Human or The Cynic, The Rat and The Fist as yet though, or those giallos like Eyeball or So Sweet...So Perverse (with Carroll Baker and Jean-Louis Trintangant!), so there might be some interesting pieces to be discovered still!

I've seen a lot more of Lenzi's giallos and crime thrillers and such than his later gore and exploitation stuff.

His giallos are for the most part middle of the road. Eyeball is pretty tedious. Spasmo is notable for some uncharacteristically handsome cinematography and a few pleasant surreal flourishes (even if they are lifted from Bava) and almost nothing else. Knife of Ice I barely remember aside from its ludicrous and likely impossible final reveal. Seven Blood-Stained Orchids is, as I said, not half bad and easily the best of his giallos I've seen.

Of his crime thrillers, Orgasmo is just smarmy people tormenting each other for vague monetary reasons. Paranoia is one of those leisurely and forgettable mod thrillers with endless, unmotivated twists and turns and a few horror/giallo elements.

I can't say there's any Lenzi film I'm especially fond of--something I can say of Fulci, for instance (and we all know what I generally think of him).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:44 am 

Its difficult to recommend any of the films in the cannibal subgenre to anyone but those with the strongest stomachs (for both the real animal violence, staged gore and the slightly queasy attitudes on display), but they do sort of chart the extreme outer limits of a certain kind of jungle adventure film genre. But they're certainly an acquired taste!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:46 am 

Old news, but didn't see it reported elsewhere on here:

Alexandra Kluge (Alexander Kluge's sister + star of Abschied von gestern) - back in June

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 am 

The great German-born British-Greek cinematographer Walter Lassally, who after starting out as the British New Wave's Raoul Coutard (in that he shot a fair number of the 1950s Free Cinema films before graduating to many of the key early 1960s kitchen-sink dramas) won an Oscar for Zorba the Greek.

(The link is in Greek, but he lived there, so I assume this is legit.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 am 

Former Marilyn Manson/Jack Off Jill guitarist Scott Putesky (aka Daisy Berkowitz) dead at 49 from colon cancer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 am 

Don Pedro Colley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:26 pm 

Robert Guillaume...dead at 89 from prostate cancer.

Man, I loved Benson as a kid. I can still hum the theme song. I gotta catch up and see what the fuss over Sports Night was...one of these days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am 

Fats Domino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm 

This is essential to any serious rock collection. As posted in the A.V. Club, when your nickname is “Fats” and you make it to 89, you’ve done pretty well.

Almost forgot, he puts in an appearance in Frank Tashlin's The Girl Can’t Help It.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 pm 

Fats Domino didn't make that many appearances in the last few decades.
Once I corralled a few friends to see Fats circa 1985, when he was making a rare club appearance in NYC. For some reason I called the club before leaving only to find out the show had been cancelled. Fortunately NY was brimming with old soul and jazz and R&B acts in that decade, and we caught Big Jay McNeeley that night instead. But I've always been disappointed I never saw Fats Domino in person.

A great singer and piano player.
Not sure if it's true, but there's an old story that during his 50's popularity, Domino was scheduled for a tour of Australia. But he was so hot in the US, they wanted him to continue recording and performing stateside. So purportedly they sent a young Allen Toussaint to Australia pretending to be Fats Domino and performing all his hits. Figuring no one Down Under knew what the Fat Man actually looked like. Possibly apocryphal, but I always liked the notion.

Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 pm 

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Possibly apocryphal, but I always liked the notion.

Not to go too far off topic, but its not the only time that had been tried.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:06 am 

Andy Warhol did a similar thing, sending a lookalike actor in his place on a lecture tour in the 60s.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:36 am 

Checked the Allen Toussaint wiki page which notes that Toussaint laid down the piano track on a 1957 Fats Domino release, I Want You to Know, while the Fat Man was busy touring. And when free, Fats added his vocal track. I thought Toussaint had done that for up to 3 Fats Domino tunes, but in any case that's likely where the idea of sending Toussaint to Oz as Fats came from, or where the story originated from.

Quote:
"When Fats was having all those hits in a row, he kept it very simple," says Allen Toussaint, also one of the great New Orleans pia­nists. "He would start a pattern right from the beginning and it would last throughout the song, so if you liked the first two bars, you would like everything. He never fixed what wasn't broken. Another thing he discovered was moving his triplets below middle C. Before Fats, people played triplets in the upper register, and it was a timid kind of sound. When Fats played triplets in the lower register, there was nothing timid about it. No way."

Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:46 am 

Bunny Sigler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm 

Rosemary Leach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 pm 

George Young

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:17 pm 

Harry Stradling Jr.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278  Next