Interlude (Kevin Billington, 1968)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Tue May 09, 2006 11:08 am

http://imdb.com/title/tt0063136/

I recently caught this one on TV and watched it for the first time. I must say, what a pleasant surprise it was! And what a lost gem of a movie this seems to be. It struck me as one of the very best british movies I'd ever seen. Beautifully acted, the cinematography was fantastic and the way the story was told was both elegant and emotional - but not too emotional, this being a british movie! :wink:

The biggest plus for movie was getting to hear that amazing classical music that simply poured out of every scene. Excellent choices for this romance a trois revolving around a music conductor.

Has anyone else seen it? And just WHY isn't this one out on DVD, dammit?!

Gordon

#2 Post by Gordon » Wed May 17, 2006 3:58 am

Funny, I was reading about this film the other day, trawling for interviews with cinematographer, Gerry Fisher. This was an early gig for Fisher and I have wanted to see this film for awhile and I'm also a fan of Donald Sutherland. Helluva soundtrack, apparently: Albinoni; Brahms; Dvorák; Mozart; Rachmaninov; Tchaikovsky; Beethoven and original pieces by... Georges Delerue! Blimey! John Cleese also pops up as a TV publicist. Virginia Maskell died shortly after the film was completed after taking an overdose of antidepressants, driving to a forest and suffering acute hypothermia, dying soon after in hospital. She posthumously won the National Board of Review award for Interlude. Fine actress, but doomed, it seems.

Yeah, I'd love to see a DVD released from Sony(?).

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Wed May 17, 2006 4:04 am

Yes, it is a Columbia title so the most you can expect is for it to be released on DVD circa 2010 with no trailer on it and sporting some magnificent yellow subtitles to boot! :evil:

Just caught this film again two days ago on TV and watched it one more time with added pleasure. It really is a beautiful piece of moviemaking. Was sorry for not taping it. Will not let it happen again. Gordon, if you want I could make you a copy the next time it plays.

Gordon

#4 Post by Gordon » Wed May 17, 2006 3:42 pm

Annie Mall wrote:Gordon, if you want I could make you a copy the next time it plays.
That woud be great, thanks! Billington also directed a psychological thriller in '72 called, Voices with David Hemmings and cinematography by Geoffrey Unsworth (he sure worked with great DPs).

Was the TV broadcast letterboxed?

Thanks, again, Annie.

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Wed May 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Was the TV broadcast letterboxed?
Yes, and the A/V quality was impecable. Hope you don't mind putting up with portuguese subs...