The Fury

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:39 am

The 1978 Brian De Palma movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077588/

Here's a very good review:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=4104

and I completely agree with the first paragraph. In fact, this is one of my favorite De Palmas and it's sad to see it in a such a hit and miss transfer on the Fox disc. Let's hope someone over there does something about it. This is one title I wouldn't mind double-dipping.

Fletch F. Fletch

#2 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:05 pm

Myra Breckinridge wrote:The 1978 Brian De Palma movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077588/

Here's a very good review:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=4104

and I completely agree with the first paragraph. In fact, this is one of my favorite De Palmas and it's sad to see it in a such a hit and miss transfer on the Fox disc. Let's hope someone over there does something about it. This is one title I wouldn't mind double-dipping.
Me too. I always loved this film. Cassavetes was so good in it and I loved the antagonistic relationship between him and Kirk Douglas' character. Very well played.

For some reason I always felt that The Fury would make a good double bill with Scanners.

justeleblanc

#3 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:52 pm

I need to rewatch this film. On first viewing I found it to be fun but pretty inconsistant. Cassavetes is good however, but Kirk Douglas didn't do anything for me.

dwk

The Fury

#4 Post by dwk » Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 am

Brian De Palma followed the huge success of Carrie with another slice of telekinetic horror, upping the ante by featuring more than one psychic.

John Cassavetes gives his most sinister performance since Rosemary’s Baby as a man who kidnaps the telepathic son of his colleague (Kirk Douglas), aiming to turn him and similarly gifted individuals into human weapons. Meanwhile, Gillian (Amy Irving), is worried enough about the destructive potential of her own powers to agree to be institutionalised - but is the Paragon Institute all that it’s cracked up to be?

De Palma pulls out all the stops with some spectacular set-pieces (including one that will put viewers off fairground rides for life), before a spectacularly explosive climax that unforgettably demonstrates why Gillian is so afraid of her powers. She can trigger nosebleeds without any effort, so how much damage can she do when she’s actually trying to hurt someone?

Brand new digital transfer of the film from the original camera negative
Optional uncompressed mono 2.0 PCM and 4.0 DTS-HD Master Audio audio
Isolated John Williams score
Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Blood on the Lens: An interview with Cinematographer Richard H. Kline
Spinning Tales: Fiona Lewis on starring in The Fury
The Fury - A Location Journal: An interview with Sam Irvin, intern on The Fury, author of the film’s shooting diary and then correspondent for Cinefantastique magazine
Original archive interviews from the 1978 promotional tour, featuring Brian De Palma, producer Frank Yablans and stars Carrie Snodgress and Amy Irving
Double Negative: A short film tribute to Brian De Palma by Sam Irvin, starring William Finley
Original Theatrical trailer
Gallery of behind-the-scenes production images
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw

MichaelB

Re: Arrow Films

#5 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 am

dwk wrote:
Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 am
The Fury

It looks like Arrow is releasing De Palma's The Fury. Now, I feel like a chump for buying the overpriced Twilight Time release.
I haven't bought a single Twilight Time release because none of their titles is unique to the label (i.e. they don't create their own masters) and so there's every likelihood that many of them will get cheaper releases outside the US. As this demonstrates - I'm assuming Arrow will be using the same master.

Oh, and here's the Beev on Blow Out, which they reckon looks slightly better than the Criterion - although since both discs shared a common HD master, there's unlikely to be much in it.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 am

EddieLarkin wrote:I wonder how Arrow's The Fury will be region coded. The TT release was region free, so it would be a big dick move for them to have Fox insist on a Region B lock.
Fox usually insists on region-locking when they license titles to UK labels - there are loads of examples. So I'd certainly assume Region B unless otherwise advised.

matrixschmatrix

#7 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 am

dwk wrote:It looks like Arrow is releasing De Palma's The Fury. Now, I feel like a chump for buying the overpriced Twilight Time release.
On the other hand, it's still going for $30 on Amazon, so you can probably recoup your expenses pretty easily.

dwk

#8 Post by dwk » Wed May 22, 2013 1:27 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:
dwk wrote:It looks like Arrow is releasing De Palma's The Fury. Now, I feel like a chump for buying the overpriced Twilight Time release.
On the other hand, it's still going for $30 on Amazon, so you can probably recoup your expenses pretty easily.
Unless the Arrow has a significantly improved transfer and spectacular extras, I'll live with the Twilight Time release.

Feego

#9 Post by Feego » Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't know if the transfer will be an improvement, but considering the roll Arrow has been on, I'd be willing to bet they'll have a nifty set of extras.

antnield

#10 Post by antnield » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:07 am

The Fury (August 12th)
-Brand new digital transfer of the film from the original camera negative
-Original uncompressed mono 2.0 PCM audio
-Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
-Blood on the Lens: An interview with Cinematographer Richard H. Kline
-Spinning Tales: Fiona Lewis on starring in The Fury
-The Fury Revisited – An interview with Sam Irvin, intern on The Fury, author of the film’s shooting diary and then correspondent for Cinefantastique magazine
-Original archive interviews from the 1978 promotional tour, featuring Brian De Palma, producer Frank Yablans and stars Carrie Snodgress and Amy Irving
-“Double Negative” [20 mins] – A short film tribute to De Palma by Sam Irvin, starring William Finley
-Gallery of behind-the-scenes production images
-Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw
-Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Chris Dumas, author of Un-American Psycho: Brian De Palma and the Political Invisible, as well as a re-print of a contemporary interview with De Palma, illustrated with original stills and posters, with more to be announced!

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 am

antnield wrote:The Fury (August 12th)
-Brand new digital transfer of the film from the original camera negative
-Original uncompressed mono 2.0 PCM audio
-Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
-Blood on the Lens: An interview with Cinematographer Richard H. Kline
-Spinning Tales: Fiona Lewis on starring in The Fury
-The Fury Revisited – An interview with Sam Irvin, intern on The Fury, author of the film’s shooting diary and then correspondent for Cinefantastique magazine
-Original archive interviews from the 1978 promotional tour, featuring Brian De Palma, producer Frank Yablans and stars Carrie Snodgress and Amy Irving
-“Double Negative” [20 mins] – A short film tribute to De Palma by Sam Irvin, starring William Finley
-Gallery of behind-the-scenes production images
-Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw
-Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Chris Dumas, author of Un-American Psycho: Brian De Palma and the Political Invisible, as well as a re-print of a contemporary interview with De Palma, illustrated with original stills and posters, with more to be announced!
Well, that pisses all over the Twilight Time release from a very great height.

repeat

#12 Post by repeat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 am

Jesus, wow. Now this would actually be worth shelling out 30 bucks for, but instead it's going for half of that?! I feel genuinely sorry for folks who got the TT disc already - and once again a little bit less inclined to order anything from them :(

What A Disgrace

#13 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 am

I wonder if The Fury will have better cover-art than The Furmnm.

antnield

#14 Post by antnield » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 am

What A Disgrace wrote:I wonder if The Fury will have better cover-art than The Furmnm.

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:49 am

repeat wrote:
Jesus, wow. Now this would actually be worth shelling out 30 bucks for, but instead it's going for half of that?! I feel genuinely sorry for folks who got the TT disc already - and once again a little bit less inclined to order anything from them :(
I know someone who imported the TT disc at the same time that I imported the Blu-ray of The Opening of Misty Beethoven. We both got stung for Customs charges on top of already very hefty basic costs, and ended up paying similarly over-the-odds amounts, but at least my purchase hasn't been undermined by a vastly superior (and cheaper) local edition!
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

repeat

The Fury

#16 Post by repeat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:49 am

Great, seems they've preserved the original poster font - totally beyond me why TT didn't

tojoed

#17 Post by tojoed » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Finch wrote:Bummed at Body Snatchers not being ready for October. Would have gotten the Laughton if I didn't already have the Criterion but the new cover is wonderful. Undecided about The Fury as yet - anyone recommend a blindbuy or should I rent it first? For context, I have Dressed To Kill, Blow Out and Carlito's Way and love the latter two especially.
You're almost certain to love "The Fury, Finch, don't listen to Domino H.

Calvin

#18 Post by Calvin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:39 am

EddieLarkin wrote:I wish I liked The Fury enough to buy it twice, the Arrow looks to be a great set. Maybe if it also has a better transfer/master than the TT I'll buy it in a couple of years when the TT is fetching a bit.
Someone asked Arrow if it would be the same master, to which they responded "brand new 2K scan of the original camera negative!"

MichaelB

The Fury

#19 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:53 am

Indeed - and it turns out to be another James White special, with the restoration maestro supervising every stage.

So at worst it should still be conspicuously better than the TT transfer, and at best it'll be definitive - and since James told me that the materials were in "beautiful shape", there's every chance of the latter.

EddieLarkin

The Fury

#20 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 am

Well that's much more interesting. There was some criticism of the TT release, especially the night scenes. But Robert Harris gave it perfect marks, implying it could not be bettered. I think it would be a bit of a coup for Arrow if they've produced something definitive.

peerpee
not perpee

#21 Post by peerpee » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:32 pm

The TT FURY Blu looks terrible in night / dark scenes. A problem typical of a really old HD scan. I was shocked RAH gave it a perfect score, I can only think he flicked through it and saw bright / daylight shots (which look pretty good).

antnield

The Fury

#22 Post by antnield » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:06 am

Finalised extras for The Fury:
- "Blood on the Lens": An interview with Cinematographer Richard H. Kline.
- "Spinning Tales": Fiona Lewis on starring in The Fury.
- "The Fury - A Location Journal": An interview with Sam Irvin, intern on The Fury, author of the film’s shooting diary and then correspondent for Cinefantastique magazine.
- Original archive interviews from the 1978 promotional tour, featuring Brian De Palma, producer Frank Yablans and stars Carrie Snodgress and Amy Irving.
- Double Negative: A short film tribute to Brian De Palma by Sam Irvin, starring William Finley.
- Gallery of behind-the-scenes production images.
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw.
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Chris Dumas, author of Un-American Psycho: Brian De Palma and the Political Invisible, as well as a re-print of a contemporary interview with Brian De Palma, and a brand new interview with screenwriter John Farris on the writing of the film, his and De Palma’s unrealised adaptation of Alfred Bester’s The Demolished Man and more, illustrated with original stills and posters.
Plus there's an isolated score.

antnield

#23 Post by antnield » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 pm

First review of The Fury is up, courtesy AV Forums.

antnield

#24 Post by antnield » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:10 pm

DVD Beaver on The Fury.

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 am

Blu-ray.com gives Arrow's The Fury perfect marks for video and audio.