It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:23 am 
Dot Com Dom

ianthemovie wrote:
Honestly if you're looking to familiarize yourself with the greatest hits of film theory you might consider an anthology like Leo Braudy's Film Theory and Criticism. It contains key pieces by Eisenstein and Metz, Bazin's "On the Ontology of the Photographic Image," Andrew Sarris' "Notes on the Auteur Theory," Rick Altman's "A Semantic/Syntactic Approach to Film Genre," Paul Schrader's "Notes on Film Noir," David Bordwell's "The Art Cinema as a Mode of Film Practice," and Laura Mulvey's "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema," among many others.

It's a great book, highly second ianthemovie's recommendation. Plus, you can pick up an earlier edition quite affordably

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm 
Dot Com Dom

dda1996a wrote:
Also couldn't find French New Wave Reader, the results that showed up are The French New Wave: Critical Landmarks and Reading the French New Wave: Critics, Writers and Art Cinema in France

I was referring to French New Wave: Critical Landmarks.

Also, Lapsley and Westlake's Film Theory: An Introduction is a good overview of film theory as well (and would be a good complement to Braudy's larger collection of film theory essays)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 pm 

I've never really liked anthology books, as they always end up making me buy all the individual releases available. But I'll definitely will check all these out and thanks a lot. Actually I learnt about Metz through a comment of yours a while ago Domino!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 am 

This seemed the most appropriate thread to pose this question and since we have some here who teach film courses it also seemed the most fruitful place: how does a person start a film education from scratch? A friend asked me and I didn't feel qualified to answer. I told him two things:1) everything I know I learned from watching the films themselves and then sometimes watching with commentary when I have time, and 2) I'd ask people here for a beginner's syllabus as I've read very little.

If it is any help, I believe the son of my friend is 15. He is interested enough in film for me to have run into him all by himself at a screening of Witness for the Prosecution. As far as I know, he's read next to nothing, but is beginning to watch as much as he can.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:57 am 
Carthago delenda est

I'd recommend starting with Roger Ebert's Great Movies (either in bookform or on his website). That pretty much started it all for me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:56 am 

For a more academic/encyclopaedic review of the history of film (including some fascinating chapters on the early developments of film and the different techniques being used to capture images), and run through the history of various world cinemas and their key titles and filmmakers, I'd also recommend the Gerald Mast and Bruce Kawin book A Short History of the Movies (though with the proviso that it seems pretty pricey on Amazon, and that I'm only familiar with the Seventh edition from around 1999-2000, so I don't really know how it has been updated since this point. Though even at that early point there was a dedicated website with film links attached to it, so maybe that has expanded more in later editions).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 am 

Thanks for both of these. I think he's looking for a more academic type of learning for his kid as Colinr suggested (what can I say, he's a double Ivy douche). Do people who teach have a sort of academic progression they like to follow for teens?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:18 pm 

I was lucky enough to get handed our high school film course to teach 15 years ago because I had taken a class in my master's program on how to teach visual literacy, and I had the right kind of teaching license. Beyond that, I hadn't taken any other film classes in college, and hadn't read much of anything film-related. In my research on how to teach a film course, one title kept coming up: David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson's Film Art. As I understand it, it's the go-to text for intro to film classes in college, which means it should be accessible enough for a motivated 15-year-old like the one you describe. It provided me with the framework of the language of film (ins and outs of mise-en-scene, cinematography, etc.), which could be incorporated into discussions and activities for any film we watched in class. Even better, students often talk about how they notice things in films they watch outside of class that they learned through the class (that I borrowed/stole from Bordwell and Thompson, of course). New editions of the book are ridiculously expensive as all college textbooks are, but used copies of older editions (8-10 years old) can be had pretty cheaply on Amazon.

Aside: Even if the school was willing to buy a bunch of copies of the text (very unlikely), I wouldn't have handed it out a college-level textbook to all of my students, some of whom are there because they're trying to avoid required reading in a "normal" English class and haven't had much success there. So I use the book by adapting the concepts (and in some cases, the scenes the authors use as examples) into a bunch of Prezi presentations that incorporate text and video and try to make the learning a bit more interactive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39