Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
montgomery

#76 Post by montgomery » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:59 am

Wow - quick reply, and you're definitely right! I never realized it was Sophie Marceau, though she did look familiar to me. Thanks again!

redbill

#77 Post by redbill » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 am

that reminds me of another possible Sophie Marceau mystery.

This movie came out '96ish, and I thought it starred Marceau, but nothing on imdb looks like it, so I'm probably wrong. Anyway, it was set and probably made in the UK, scotland I think. It was about a group of young people who go to an estate in the country to film a horror movie. They end up taking LSD and hilariousness ensues... kind of like a scottish Anniversary Party.

dadaistnun

#78 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:11 pm

That would be Loaded by Jane Campion's older sister, Anna. No Marceau, though.

Lemmy Caution

#79 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:08 pm

For some reason Sophie Marceau is quite popular in China. Especially 2 or 3 years ago I was often asked if I liked her.

redbill

#80 Post by redbill » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:04 pm

dadaistnun wrote:That would be Loaded by Jane Campion's older sister, Anna. No Marceau, though.
ah thanks, and that actually solves the Marceau mystery for me too. Apparently the girl is Mel Gibson's first wife from Braveheart...

miless

#81 Post by miless » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm trying to find out about a silent film starring (I believe,) Mary Pickford.
I know it's really famous (as it caused a scandal back in the 20's) but the only scene I'm aware of involves Ms. Pickford drinking from a communion cup at the same place her unattainable love did (she turns the chalice, even).

I saw the clip a few years ago and it has since gestated in my mind, turning into my own short film idea... I'd just like to know where I got the idea from (and possibly see the rest of the film).

jesus the mexican boi

#82 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:17 pm

miless wrote:I'm trying to find out about a silent film starring (I believe,) Mary Pickford.
I knew I'd seen this, but the Pickford threw me off. It was not "America's Sweetheart," but Greta Garbo in the marvelous "Flesh and the Devil."

You can even see the clip here.

miless

#83 Post by miless » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:03 pm

jesus the mexican boi wrote:I knew I'd seen this, but the Pickford threw me off. It was not "America's Sweetheart," but Greta Garbo in the marvelous "Flesh and the Devil."

You can even see the clip here.
I was convinced for about 2 years that it was Greta, but I began to doubt myself when I began thinking that I had seen the clip in an American Masters on Pickford. Thanks so much

Awesome Welles

#84 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu May 22, 2008 7:38 am

I got my grandmother a DVD player and she has always talked about this old British film about a man who is told he going to die, so he goes out and spends all his money, quits his job etc. and at the end is told it was all a mistake. Can anyone identify this? I'd like to buy it for her and see it myself!

tojoed

#85 Post by tojoed » Thu May 22, 2008 8:17 am

FSimeoni wrote:I got my grandmother a DVD player and she has always talked about this old British film about a man who is told he going to die, so he goes out and spends all his money, quits his job etc. and at the end is told it was all a mistake. Can anyone identify this? I'd like to buy it for her and see it myself!

I think it's Last Holiday with Alec Guinness, made in 1950. Available inthis collection

Awesome Welles

#86 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu May 22, 2008 8:49 am

That sounds close enough, thanks very much!

tojoed

#87 Post by tojoed » Thu May 22, 2008 9:23 am

^ You're welcome. By the way, do get it if you can. It's a lovely little film that's not often mentioned in relation to fine Guinness performances. On the other hand, I haven't seen it in 35 years.

Awesome Welles

#88 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 am

I think I'll probably rent it as I own more than half the other films in the boxset, hopefully Optimum will eventually release it as a stand alone disc.

rohmerin

film

#89 Post by rohmerin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:15 pm

I saw a few minutes of a very weird American color film, may be from 70's or 80's. It's about a young American soldier that is a P.O.W in Dresden in World War II. He sees and survives the Allies bombing. Years later, he became an important American politician, may be the Crongress, Senate or Governor... and suddenly he's in the space remembering his life and the Dresden bombing.

zedz

#90 Post by zedz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:20 pm

I think you've stumbled across Slaughterhouse Five, which I haven't seen in years, but is one of the wildest, weirdest American films of the 70s. Well worth seeing in full.

rohmerin

#91 Post by rohmerin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Thank's, I'll try to see it, but I've noticed that it's based on a same title novel, and that book is famous. May be I prefer to read the novella.

tavernier

#92 Post by tavernier » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Of course, Vonnegut's book is classic, but the movie has its moments.

moviscop

#93 Post by moviscop » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:16 am

I saw this film on TV when I was very young. Every since then I have been trying to find the name. I believe it was a babysitter or some chick who moves in with a family. In a camera film container (black with a cap) they find what looks like vampire teeth. It was in her suitcase.

Ring any bells?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#95 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:01 pm

It's that Peter Watkins movie, someone will remember the title in the time it takes me to look up the name.

Cold Bishop

#96 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:It's that Peter Watkins movie, someone will remember the title in the time it takes me to look up the name.
La Commune

Ovader

#97 Post by Ovader » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:12 am

What film is the following image from and what can you tell me about the film?

dave41n

#98 Post by dave41n » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:24 am

The Fountain, directed by Yuri Mamin. Can't tell you anything about it though. I haven't been able to track it down.

zedz

#100 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:05 pm

dave41n wrote:
The Fountain, directed by Yuri Mamin. Can't tell you anything about it though. I haven't been able to track it down.
I remember it as forced satire (about a crumbling apartment block, i.e. The State) with lashings of groansome simple-savage-quaintly-enchanted-by-modern-technology piffle, conveyed with sub-Fellini (hell, even sub-Kusturica) eye-twinkling whimsy.

Mamin's later Window to Paris (oh-so-zany Russian family discovers a magic portal to the City of Lights) trafficks in the same sort of simplistic Kulture Klash Komedy and is even more feeble.

The Fountain came out at a time when Soviet cinema was particularly dynamic (as satire, Muratova's take-no-prisoners The Asthenic Syndrome incinerates this with a glance), so it doesn't seem like a particularly great choice for that cover. The 'freedom' imagery is relevant, of course, but there are much better and more important films that could have provided strong 'freedom' images (Freeze, Die, Come to Life, Freedom Is Paradise, Repentance)