Jennifer's Body (Karyn Kusama, 2009)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Antoine Doinel

Jennifer's Body (Karyn Kusama, 2009)

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:13 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:29 pm

Cde. wrote:Jennifer's Body looks at least as bad as Juno.
yuk yuk yuk

The Jennifer's Body trailer isn't too bad until the awful music and one-liners begin.

"I thought you only killed boys!"
"I go both ways!"

Jeez... and beyond the first five minutes or so, I actually like Juno quite a bit. But this looks unbearable.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Juno (Jason Reitman, 2007)

#3 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Jennifer's Body tanked this weekend. Hopefully this spells the end of Hollywood's brief, regrettable affair with both Cody and Fox's careers.

Fiery Angel

#4 Post by Fiery Angel » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Fox is gorgeous so she'll always have a career...I have no defense for the multi-untalented Cody.

jbeall

#5 Post by jbeall » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:13 pm

I always thought of Fox as plasticine rather than hot (similar to Jessica Simpson in that regard), and not very talented. She's useful, however, insofar as her presence in a film tells me that I probably don't need to see it.

Diablo Cody, on the other hand, has a modicum of talent, so if she can harness her energies into writing intelligent material instead of glib, irritating hipster-speak, then she'll have significantly more longevity than Megan Fox.

Highway 61

#6 Post by Highway 61 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Unfortunately, I suspect we'll still have to put up with the presence of both. Cody's got her TV show, and Fox will continue to get work until someone younger inevitably takes her place, and even then she could sustain herself through tabloid exposure. Perhaps all this means is that we'll be spared Hollywood trying to sell Fox as both sex object and thespian à la Angelina Jolie.

Still, I'm delighted that the movie tanked.

Murdoch

Re: Jennifer's Body (Karyn Kusama, 2009)

#7 Post by Murdoch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:49 pm

I haven't seen this, but I actually have a little interest in it, it has a sort-of Heathers vibe to it, but without Christian Slater, which definitely detracts points. I'm no Cody fan, and I have yet to see Fox do anything but pose in films, and yet despite those two things I still would maybe like to see this, although I don't feel I'm losing out if I don't.I'm interested to hear reactions here from anybody who has seen it, even if it will just reinforce what I've already heard. When I saw The Informant! it was showing next to JB, both ended at the same time and a guy from the JB audience came out of it yelling "What has happened to movies?", and everyone else was pretty vocal in using equally damning statements.

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:21 am

Fiery Angel wrote:Fox is gorgeous so she'll always have a career.
I'm sure somebody said the same thing of Joey Heatherton once.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Joey Heatherton didn't look like a barely passable pre-op though

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:07 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Putting your arms around her must be like cuddling up with a well-oiled catcher's mitt

MyNameCriterionForum

#12 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:04 pm

She's not as bright as a catcher's mitt

knives

#13 Post by knives » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:16 am

domino harvey wrote:Putting your arms around her must be like cuddling up with a well-oiled catcher's mitt
Been saying that from the beginning. Why don't more women come here again?

Polybius

#14 Post by Polybius » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:04 am

The only thing that could make her even more fun is if she started insisting that BAG always be cast as her love interest.

Mr Pixies

#15 Post by Mr Pixies » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:30 am

I'm the only one to see it? I didn't like it much...it could have been awesome, but every movie can be awesome I think, even with a twodollar budget...I liked Juno, and what I liked about it was the honesty of the characters, that was carried through. Here, the characters talk openly about their sexuality, they are the same characters as Juno, more cartoons, sure, cause it's a horror comedy, but the film denies the tone and attitude that the characters exhibit. Its a good kids movie, like Idol Hands, and I want to say, "but Idol Hands was awesome!", but I haven't seen it in sooo long, that it may not be what I recall...dunno...the dialogue is fine, its the Cody's style and its cool for kid's movies, but her story stuff sucked...but I thought it was solid in Juno.

reesepd

#16 Post by reesepd » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:22 pm

Am I the only one who absolutely loved this?

I'm a bit mixed on Juno. It's genuine as the above comment said, but time hasn't been too good on it. Zeitgeist-y for the time period? For sure, homeskillet. I definitely think it deserves it's reputation, though.

Just a bit underwhelmed about Jennifer's Body. Especially when Cody followed it up with the quite exceptional screenplay for Young Adult. She's a bit stylized, yes, but just as with Juno, it never feels false - and I commend that to the actors delivering even some of the most obnoxious and strange lines of dialogue with such sincere finesse.

Jennifer's Body is definitely flawed - the horror/comedy doesn't always click (like that hilariously tacky Buffy the Vampire Slayer moment in the school library) - but it's an interesting film and I find myself returning to it. I love the direction, in particular, since Kusama seems to be literate in how to do some striking mise en scene, and I also love the Christian symbolism peppered throughout.

I also may be in the vast minority who thinks Megan Fox was born to play this role, and nailed it like no other. Weirdly campy and emotional in ways that I wouldn't expect from this kind of genre flick, and has only grown more positive on rewatches. (That conviction in spewing black vomit on the kitchen floor. :-")

I don't know. I think it's one of those cases where it's such a damn interesting film - especially for its time period and trajectory to fruition (that small club of bizarre Hollywood oddballs) - that I can't shake it off to this day.