Accidental Love [Nailed] (David O. Russell, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Jeff

Accidental Love [Nailed] (David O. Russell, 2015)

#1 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:33 pm

David O. Russell + Kristin Gore (WTF?) = greatest plot summary ever?
[i][url=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i00627c6566fe8f5f3b0aa2ea5a779a15]The Hollywood Reporter[/url][/i] wrote:Gyllenhaal in bed with Biel for 'Nailed'
By Gregg Goldstein
Nov 5, 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Biel are attached to star in the risque political satire "Nailed." David O. Russell is attached to direct and co-write the screenplay with Al Gore's daughter, Kristin Gore.

Biel would play Sammy Joyce, a socially awkward small-town receptionist who has a nail accidentally shot into her head by a clumsy workman, eliciting wild sexual urges.

The uninsured Joyce goes on a crusade to Washington to fight for the rights of the bizarrely injured. She meets an immoral congressman (Gyllenhaal) who takes advantage of her sex drive and capitalizes on her crusade as Joyce heads into her own career in politics.

Red Wagon Entertainment ("Jarhead") and Persistent Entertainment ("Southland Tales") are slated to produce the project. Preproduction is set to begin in two weeks, aiming for a January start date for principal photography.

Neither star has a signed contract for the film, which is being presold by IM Global at the American Film Market. Their commitment could depend on juggling other features: Gyllenhaal recently was set to star in Doug Liman's untitled Moon project for DreamWorks and Jim Sheridan's "Brothers" with Tobey Maguire for Relativity Media. Biel is slated to star in and produce the crime thriller "Die a Little" for United Artists.

Reps for IM Global and CAA, which handles both stars, did not comment.

Russell is no stranger to politics. He started as an 1980s political activist before directing the prescient Gulf War drama "Three Kings."In the spring, he was adapting and attached to direct a feature version of Gore's autobiographical Washington-based novel, "Sammy's Hill," for Columbia Pictures and Red Wagon.

Biel, Gyllenhaal and Gore are repped by CAA. Gyllenhaal is also repped by Evelyn O'Neill at Management 360. Biel also is repped by Suzan Bymel and Nicole King at Management 360 and attorney Karl Austen.

Russell is repped by Ellen Goldsmith-Vein of Gotham Group.
(emphasis, giddily, mine)

David Ehrenstein

#2 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Very John Waters.

starmanof51

#3 Post by starmanof51 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:20 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:Very John Waters.
And a bit "Glamorous Life of Sachiko Hanai"

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:43 pm

Jeff wrote:Kristin Gore (WTF?)
Kristin Gore has actually become a rather accomplished TV and novel writer. She's credited on 31 episodes of Futurama (as a staff writer, she surely had a hand in many more) and her Sammy novels (Sammy's Hill, Sammy's House) were pretty popular (if not exactly best-sellers). Nailed actually sounds like a prequel to the novels or at least a partial adaptation of Sammy's Hill.

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:27 am

Matt wrote: Kristin Gore has actually become a rather accomplished TV and novel writer. She's credited on 31 episodes of Futurama (as a staff writer, she surely had a hand in many more) and her Sammy novels (Sammy's Hill, Sammy's House) were pretty popular (if not exactly best-sellers). Nailed actually sounds like a prequel to the novels or at least a partial adaptation of Sammy's Hill.
Now that you mention it, her books ring a bell. I didn't know about the Futurama gig though. Her name just seemed incongruous with the rest of the article. I'm very curious to see what she and Russell have cooked up.

hot_locket

#6 Post by hot_locket » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:40 am

This isn't a Stephen Colbert biopic?

Andre Jurieu

#7 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:36 am

Jeff wrote:I'm very curious to see what she and Russell have cooked up.
I'm very curious to see how long it takes for footage to be leaked on youtube of Russell berating Gore to the point where she breaks down in tears. Can't wait to see her dad's PowerPoint presentation about the grave threat that Russell poses upon his daughters. We simply cannot ignore this problem any longer.

Antoine Doinel

#8 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:59 am

I'm guessing Russel's pitch to the studio went something like this:

"Jessica Biel. Wild sexual urges."

And then they dumped a bunch of money at his feet.
Last edited by Antoine Doinel on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbeall

#9 Post by jbeall » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:I'm Russel's pitch to the studio went something like this:

"Jessica Biel. Wild sexual urges."

And then they dumped a bunch of money at his feet.
Well, I'm sold.

miless

#10 Post by miless » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:08 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:Can't wait to see her dad's PowerPoint presentation about the grave threat that Russell poses upon his daughters. We simply cannot ignore this problem any longer.
Well, he does have the Nobel peace prize.

Antoine Doinel

#11 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:05 pm

James Marden, Catherine Keener and Tracy Morgan have joined the cast.

Antoine Doinel

#12 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:20 am

It looks like Russell's antics have caused James Caan to leave the project and Jake Gyllenhaal isn't having a good time either.

HerrSchreck

#13 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:26 am

popwrap wrote:"James Caan did amicably part ways with this production due to creative differences. He wished all of the actors and production crew well when he departed," his publicist tells PopWrap.
My emphasis.

This is code for "he wished the actors and crew well...(and told the director to go sit on his fucking nail gun)."Image
Last edited by HerrSchreck on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:29 am

Just think: he made it all the way through a Von Trier shoot but walked off this. :shock:

HerrSchreck

#15 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:44 am

True. Russell may be this generations most notorious Meltdown Artist, but Caan is a longstanding and notorious meatbrain. An old friend of mine from LA was very enamored with the guy, and joined a top-notch gym near Hollywood.

Suddenly he caught sight of Caan coming to his Mercedes deisel convertable just as he (friend) was chucking his workout shit into his trunk. He locked eyes with the dude for about a second, realized who was staring him in the face, smiled with I'm Meeting Sonny Corleone Excitement... then shrunk in fear. He nearly shit on the floor as Caan started glaring at him like he was going to kill him, frozen in place and immobile. Caan followed him with his eyes, frozen....

My friend shrunk from the sudden and unexplained staredown, and meekly bent into his car & drove away. Caan still stood there immobile, watching, then chucked his gym clothes in and drove slow behind him.

Every time he saw Caan at the gym after that, Caan froze in his tracks & glared at him like he was going to shoot him and then go take a crap in the bullethole. He figured he must have looked like someone Caan hated or something. But he's baffled to this day... not clueing into I guess that the dude is just hair-trigger-nuts.

flyonthewall2983

#16 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:04 am

Was this when he was doing coke or after?

HerrSchreck

#17 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:40 am

If he chucked the C more then 10 yrs ago I'd say after.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:56 am

He finest role was his appearance on NewsRadio.

Fletch F. Fletch

#19 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:33 pm

The Guardian reports on the Caan/Russell dust-up:
Caan's cookie monster antics disrupt film shoot
Wednesday April 23, 2008

James Caan has reportedly quit the set of David O Russell's new film following an argument about how best to choke on a cookie.

Nailed is a political comedy about a woman who travels to Washington to fight for better healthcare after she gets a nail lodged in her head. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Jessical Biel, James Marsden and Catherine Keener.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the veteran Godfather actor was hired to play the US speaker of the House of Representatives, and had only just started on the first of his two days of shooting. The script called for Caan's character to choke to death on a biscuit. But when directed by Russell to cough as he choked, Caan reportedly refused, arguing that it was impossible to cough and simultaneously choke to death. Despite Russell's suggestion that they shoot the scene both ways, Caan apparently walked off the set.

Caan's publicist has insisted that the departure was amicable, while producer Douglas Wick has already stepped in to defend Russell's behaviour on the set, which only began on April 15, as thoroughly professional. However, film fans will remember Russell's turbulent track record. He and George Clooney reportedly had an altercation on Three Kings and YouTube records for posterity the name-calling that occurred between him and Lily Tomlin during the filming of I Heart Huckabees.

flyonthewall2983

#20 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:52 pm

The two hardest packs of Oreo's ever went through in the history of Man.

Barmy

#21 Post by Barmy » Wed May 07, 2008 2:50 pm

James Brolin steps in.

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Kirstie Alley too!? :shock:

flyonthewall2983

#23 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 pm

She heard there were cookies.

Jeff

#24 Post by Jeff » Sun May 11, 2008 4:34 am

SAG has ordered the cast to walk off the set, and the film may not be completed. The article also confirms that it is indeed an adaptation of Sammy's Hill.

Antoine Doinel

#25 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon May 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Production has resumed.