Prometheus (Ridley Scott, 2012)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
greggster59

Re: Prometheus (Ridley Scott, 2012)

#176 Post by greggster59 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 am

willoneill wrote:Ok, need some help here. Going to see this tonight with the fiancee, and we need some opinions: 2D, 3D, or IMAX 3D? Input is appreciated.
I saw it in Imax 3d because I had a free ticket. The large screen was cool. I did not find that the 3D image added anything to the experience except in one or two shots.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#177 Post by Brian C » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:32 am

david hare wrote:I have probably the most trouble with the insistent sleeve wearing of the religious belief stuff that feels totally grafted onto the Noomi character as though one is obliged to pander to all the "believers" out there who can't deal with a non theist based conception of the universe.
The irony here is that I've been engaged in a Facebook discussion with a friend who is upset that the film was "very blasphemous," and was specifically upset by Noomi's cross and the way that her character didn't seem authentically Christian ("she misses the point" of the cross, in his words). So I guess it didn't pander hard enough.

Finch

#178 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#179 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

it couldn’t even be said to be actively withholding the answers it obnoxiously never provides.
I don't understand why that's obnoxious. I'll agree that the film doesn't gel the way it should have, or give proper weight to its unanswered questions, but why does everything have to be steeped in exhaustively explained mythology? Do people really want every science fiction film to be as dull as, say, the Star Wars franchise?

franco

#180 Post by franco » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:54 pm

willoneill wrote:Ok, need some help here. Going to see this tonight with the fiancee, and we need some opinions: 2D, 3D, or IMAX 3D? Input is appreciated.
IMAX 3D, totally. It adds a lot more texture to the mundane cinematography so you may actually end up enjoying this lame movie. I know I enjoyed it much more when I saw it the second time in IMAX 3D.
Last edited by franco on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#181 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm

In other words: I advise that you spend as much money as possible to see this movie that I don't think is worth seeing.

franco

#182 Post by franco » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:01 pm

That's right, or you could say that bigger screen, louder sound, 3D textures, leather reclining seats and reduced number of pre-movie commercials might make the movie worth your time.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#183 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Sounds like you have a much better IMAX theater nearby than I do. :( Leather reclining seats?! If only.

willoneill

#184 Post by willoneill » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:39 pm

I do have a really nice IMAX theatre nearby, and I always insist on seeing "real IMAX-footage" films there (Dark Knight, M:I4), but I really don't like 3D, mostly because I don't like wearing glasses at all, and IMAX 3D in particular I've had trouble focusing on. In all honesty, this theatre's regular screens are pretty good too, so I guess I'm just wondering if the IMAX outweighs me having to wear the glasses? Money's not really an issue.

Wait, was any of the movie even shot in IMAX?

warren oates

#185 Post by warren oates » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Brian C wrote:
david hare wrote:I have probably the most trouble with the insistent sleeve wearing of the religious belief stuff that feels totally grafted onto the Noomi character as though one is obliged to pander to all the "believers" out there who can't deal with a non theist based conception of the universe.
The irony here is that I've been engaged in a Facebook discussion with a friend who is upset that the film was "very blasphemous," and was specifically upset by Noomi's cross and the way that her character didn't seem authentically Christian ("she misses the point" of the cross, in his words). So I guess it didn't pander hard enough.
Oh the film is structurally blasphemous. That's seems like the whole point of the CYA pandering with her cross and such. I'm sure Ridley and the writers knew that to posit human creation by a dark race of warlike alien tinkerers would cause quite a stir at the American multiplex and so designed this detail into the script so they could point to in in interviews. See? The film isn't atheist propaganda because our protag is one of you!
Brian C wrote:So which of the two suggestions are you actually arguing, since they're in opposition to each other? Our technology today is not "alien" in relation to earlier human technologies - it's simply evolved and connected more dots. We know that primitive man can "evolve" (not a very precise use of the term, but you know what I mean) to understand our modern technologies, because it has indisputedly happened over the course of human history.
DNA isn't destiny. The more modern science learns about this, the more they understand that DNA interacts with the environment an organism is born into, even in certain surprising ways with identical twins. We've not exactly like them because they haven't evolved on Earth. Certainly all of their tech seems much more organic and biological (if it's merely a projection of eventual human tech then it stills seems like such a far way off as to be for all intents and purposes "other"). I guess l still don't get why you don't see them as "other" just because they look like humans? Sure the Engineers are more like humans than a telepathic ocean. Maybe more like us than apes. But the unknowable head start they have (in years existing, in biological and other technological evolution), the foreign environment they're from, etc. -- all of that clearly makes their motives pretty darn alien to us. So to even begin to understand how or why to create (or destroy) life itself with some magical black bio nano goo -- well, it would be like trying to teach the first upright-walking cave man how to use a smartphone, a technology that seems pretty alien to the only simple machines he'd know, like the lever and the wheel. I suppose that qualifies as "other" enough for me. Or maybe I should say instead that they are so advanced behind a certain point -- call it a singularity -- in intelligence, technology and intentions as to appear godlike or magical or unknowably inscrutable from our point of view.

For me, the inanity in the film resides much more in the basic character motivation and bread and butter storytelling. The reasons people walk into or out of doors, etc. Which is sad because that's screenwriting and storytelling 101 stuff. The handling of the film's big questions and thematic ideas on the other hand, while not as smart and compelling as I'd like it to be, isn't the disaster of muddled pretension that some detractors are intent on making it into.

willoneill

#186 Post by willoneill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:49 am

Caught the movie last night; we decided to just go with 2D, which I thought looked great. My fiancée Steph was not really a fan, though she didn't like Alien either. I was a bit more receptive to the film, and despite all of the obvious plot holes, inconsistencies, my only real issue was this:
SpoilerShow
They spend the entire movie labeling the alien beings and these higher intelligence, almost God-like “Engineers”, yet when we finally do meet one, he’s nothing but a lumbering, Frankenstein-style monster. Since there is obviously going to be a sequel, there must be more to the Engineers, and I just would have preferred that the filmmakers give me a little bit more of a taste as to what they’re all about. But yes, I realize asking for more info from Damon Lindelof is a fool’s errand.
[Steph is still pissed off, to this day, about Lost, so I haven’t told her yet that Lindelof wrote Prometheus.]

R0lf

#187 Post by R0lf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 am

david hare wrote:John read Brody's piece on his New Yorker blog I linked above. I don't always share Richard's likes and dislikes but in general his taste is impeccable and he has a sharp eye for snake oil.
Your link got me to reading his reviews and subsequently watching the entire back catalogue of Lena Dunham which in turn bought me back to reading the twenty two pages of COMPLETELY APPALLING forum posts we have on here devoted to her.

flyonthewall2983

#188 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:18 am

I thought this was funny
SpoilerShow

Kellen

#189 Post by Kellen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:26 am

Cold Bishop

#190 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:53 am

Has "Prometheus" killed "At the Mountains of Madness"?

I've always felt that not enough has been written about Ridley Scott and co.'s debt to Lovecraft. And here I was hoping that its success would lead to Del Toro's film being greenlit.

warren oates

#191 Post by warren oates » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:32 pm

I get why Lovecraft is important to so many horror genre storytellers, but I've never been able to connect directly with his work in any satisfying way. So far this year I've seen two films that out-Lovecrafted Lovecraft without being direct adaptations of his work. Prometheus and Cabin In The Woods. I always found Lovecraft's actual writing to be more maddening than the worst all-setup/no-payoff crimes people accuse Lindelof of. And worse than that, when he finally reveals what's making that strange noise or shadow it's usually a really goofy creature described in portentous hushed tones. If Lovecraft had been a production designer his work would probably be more Ed Wood than H.R. Giger.

Dan O'Bannion says: “It’s very, very difficult to achieve that tone in film. What you need is the cinematic equivalent of Lovecraft’s prose, that’s the problem, that’s very hard to achieve. " But I'd say that the most successfully Lovecraftian films are the ones that forget about his purple prose and dispense with his tone altogether and instead cherry pick a few key ideas.

To me this is the key Del Toro pull-out qoute:
“...and the notion of being created as a joke, as a cosmic joke, and humanity being given free will and ambition as you would give catnip to a cat, to amuse yourselves.”

Yes! That's a large part of what I find so interesting about Prometheus. Its willingness to posit most of what we hold dear about humanity as a kind of afterthought. Free will, ambition, philosophy, society, art -- all of it vanity, all of it a likely a bug rather than a feature of our existence in the eyes of our creators. Though in Prometheus it's an inscrutable scientific experiment or interstellar farming program that's more likely the motive than a more whimsically sinister or literal joke.

The Narrator Returns

#192 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I finally saw Prometheus. It broke my brain. I liked it, and I was very positive towards it immediately after leaving the theater, but every minute afterwards, I have a different opinion of it. The plot holes were numerous, and the scientists were dumber than posts, but the movie was so gorgeous (it reminded me of The Tree of Life; every frame could be framed and called a work of art) and there were many great scenes (David's introduction in particular). For now, I'm mildly positive, but ask me again tomorrow, and I'll tell you something completely different.

Roger Ryan

#193 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Finch wrote:
SpoilerShow
How can dreams be watched? Can thoughts be read?...

What are the snake things? Why don't they infect the host?
SpoilerShow
As you may have already worked out, the snake-like creatures are the result of the worms eating the black goo that begins to leak out of the canisters once the canisters are exposed to atmospheric change.

The idea that David can "see" Dr. Shaw's dream has its roots in studies going on right now
Last edited by Roger Ryan on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#194 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:19 pm

WOW, that video is truly incredible.

karmajuice

#195 Post by karmajuice » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:02 am

Just got back from seeing this. I really enjoyed it, and you're all a bunch of sourpusses.

Honestly, some of the characterization is slight, but outside of Theron's useless character it's far from dreadful. Visually, it has a lot going for it. In terms of its ideas, Scott touches on some interesting subjects, but offers few if any answers. We learn no more than the characters learn, and I think that's a very deliberate choice. They go in search of answers and find themselves in an incomprehensible death trap. They don't really have time to find out anything more, because it turns out the answers are a lot more complicated (and probably a lot less savory) than they thought. Science is like that sometimes.
SpoilerShow
Frankly, I find Shaw's decision to persist at the end an interesting choice in face of what she's been through. Obviously it establishes the need for a sequel (which I'm game for), but that desire to know is at the heart of the film, and also at the heart of her "faith", which has more to do with a need for understanding rather than anything involving a specifically Christian god.
willoneill wrote:Caught the movie last night; we decided to just go with 2D, which I thought looked great. My fiancée Steph was not really a fan, though she didn't like Alien either. I was a bit more receptive to the film, and despite all of the obvious plot holes, inconsistencies, my only real issue was this:
SpoilerShow
They spend the entire movie labeling the alien beings and these higher intelligence, almost God-like “Engineers”, yet when we finally do meet one, he’s nothing but a lumbering, Frankenstein-style monster. Since there is obviously going to be a sequel, there must be more to the Engineers, and I just would have preferred that the filmmakers give me a little bit more of a taste as to what they’re all about. But yes, I realize asking for more info from Damon Lindelof is a fool’s errand.
[Steph is still pissed off, to this day, about Lost, so I haven’t told her yet that Lindelof wrote Prometheus.]
Regarding the question posed in your spoiler:
SpoilerShow
This particular "Engineer" is presumably a soldier, given that he is in stasis in a warship destined to destroy earth. Presumably, like humans, this race has a wide range of individuals with their own strengths and peculiarities, so this guy is good at destroying things. Also, he just woke up after a few millenia. He might be a little out of sorts.

statsman

#196 Post by statsman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:16 am

The movie was a mess. It has some great ideas, and executes them horribly (all the examples noted of idiot plotting and characterization). That said, I am intrigued by the possibilities of where this could go. In reading and viewing fiction, sometimes I play a game where I review what the characters actually did, as opposed to their professed motives and intentions...
SpoilerShow
So, the "Alien monsters" were biological weapons that seemed to turn on and wipe out the "engineers". Yet, the Earth humans, a supposedly failed experiment, have survived the monsters in all the "Alien" movies. (This is every bit as surprising as the primitive Southern Californian humans wiping out the Sabre Tooth Tigers in Southern California.)

Could it be that the "engineers" felt Earth humans were too vicious? And that the reaction of the awakened engineer was similar to how an Earth human would feel upon being greeted by the Alien monsters upon awakening?

Let's carry this thought a little farther (a little embarrassingly, as I am getting uncomfortably close to the worst form of prose ever- fan fiction). The engineer spaceship is then taken down by a more primitive non-military Earth craft, and the soldier-engineer bested by the least dangerous human on the mission. Next, the engineer homeworld is about to be visited by an Earth human, a representative of the most lethal variant of the engineer dna. This is "Alien" in reverse, where we are the awful monsters.

flyonthewall2983

#197 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Blu-ray details, a point of interest obviously the 15 minutes of deleted and alternate footage.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#198 Post by lacritfan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Most of the questions from the previous five pages condensed :

Tuco

#199 Post by Tuco » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:39 am

Second viewing, on behalf of my daughter. As Alfred E. Neuman once said, "Ecch!". I'm sorry, but this has all the intellectual depth of "Chariots of the Gods". Great to look at, but even dumber than KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (which, for all of its faults, I still think is close to good). I hope to God the rumors of a prequel to BLADE RUNNER never happens. Flaming anticipated...

manicsounds

#200 Post by manicsounds » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:11 am

I'm surprised it's so near release date and there hasn't been a 'formal' announcement for the disc.

But from what I gathered, the 3D Blu-ray will come with 4 discs, 3D movie, 2D movie, bonus features disc, and a DVD copy.
And the 2D comes version is 2 discs, with the 2D movie, and a DVD copy.

So the only way to get all the bonus features is to get the 3D edition? Is this the case in every region's release?
I was thinking of getting the UK disc, but there so far has been no formal announcement on extras, and the BBFC has not passed any extras for "Prometheus", and no etailers mention any info on the discs.