The Jeffrey Wells Thread

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
swo17

Re: The Jeffrey Wells Thread

#201 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm

The very definition of empathy:
Jeffrey Wells wrote:I’ve been seriously depressed only once in my life (caused by the combination of breaking up with a girlfriend who was astonishing in bed plus zero job prospects)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#202 Post by cdnchris » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Yeah. That immediately caught my attention, too. Obviously he knows what he's talking about and knows exactly what depression is.

Gregory

#203 Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:12 pm

He loves to throw in subtle and not-so-subtle boasts no matter what he's writing about, for example the sentence right before the ones swo quoted:
I felt sorry for Parker, of course. He’s a pretty good writer, for one thing, and I relate to and respect any skilled wordsmith.
(emphasis added). And I've noticed that he likes to often refer to all these amazing, hot women he's been with. From his review of Timbuktu, for example:
My personal idea of misery is no wifi or sitting through an awful film or being dropped by a beautiful girlfriend who was magnificent in the sack. Misery in Sissako’s film, which is set in the Timbuktu region of Mali, a mostly barren African nation that few people in this country have heard of and wouldn’t give a shit about if they have, is much more hard-core.
There's that famous empathy again. But hey, at least he's heard of Mali. That's better than most people, right?

Drucker

#204 Post by Drucker » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:21 pm

swo17 wrote:The very definition of empathy:
Jeffrey Wells wrote:I’ve been seriously depressed only once in my life (caused by the combination of breaking up with a girlfriend who was astonishing in bed plus zero job prospects)
Depression=not getting my way all the time.

criterion10

#205 Post by criterion10 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Wow, it seems that Wells took the article down...

FrauBlucher

The Jeffrey Wells Thread

#206 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:50 pm

He probably got bombarded from people who suffer clinical depression and others in the mental health field. I didn't read article and usually don't read much of his writings but from the little excerpts you guys wrote I ain't missing much.

Perkins Cobb

#207 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Well, here's a cache of it, which didn't come up when I checked a few hours ago. Rejoice, you can eyeroll at his bullshit without giving him a click!

Gregory

#208 Post by Gregory » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:17 am

I didn't have time to finish the piece earlier, but the end pays off richly.
He says on his site that he loves pancakes — that indicates that he eats whatever the fuck he wants to eat, and that he probably has other appetites that are doing him no good.
THE END

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#209 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:53 am

I'm surprised Wells didn't off himself when that director failed to send him Vinessa Shaw nude pix. He's been through the worst lack and loss imaginable and survived, what an inspiration I cry every time share this if you believe in the healing power of JW praise him!!!!!!

FrauBlucher

#210 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:Well, here's a cache of it, which didn't come up when I checked a few hours ago. Rejoice, you can eyeroll at his bullshit without giving him a click!
He's audacious and clueless at the same time.

colinr0380

#211 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:13 am

That is quite shockingly silly piece by Wells. So if you drink, smoke and eat junk food, and don't do yoga or lift weights it is your own fault that you are depressed?

And the 'its your own fault' approach to drinking is terribly wrong-headed, but I cannot entirely blame Wells for this it often seems to happen that people treat the 'easy' superficial symptom of being depressed, upset or finding no joy in life (drinking, smoking, drugs, whatever) as a cause instead. Perhaps it is just easier to try and stamp out the symptom, and to make individuals feel guilty for having indulged in it, than to tackle the, perhaps impossible to change, root causes that drive people into despair in the first place, or to a place where they want to lose themselves as the only release?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#212 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 am

I've just read the Wells article, and it seemed so so so wrong. I don't know what would be worse : that Wells actually believe what he has written, or that he wanted to mean something else and that's all he ended up being able to write.

I totally agree with Colin : it seems amazing that Wells is able to think so narrow-minded things which looks like stuff from 50 years ago ("oooh, you drink too much, no wonder you're depressed").

There is so little empathy in this piece that I understand how Wells would simply take it down because there's no way you can rewrite something like this properly.

copen

#213 Post by copen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:55 pm

Gregory wrote:Question about Broadcast News below;
Jeffrey Wells wrote:Albert Brooks‘ character voiced the first in Broadcast News: “Always choose a woman who’s just hot enough to turn you on.”
I Googled a few variations of this "well-known quote" to double-check and found nothing....

albert brooks' character says something very close to this in 'defending your life'. he elaborates that his wife was much too good looking for him (inferiority).

med

#214 Post by med » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'm surprised Wells didn't off himself when that director failed to send him Vinessa Shaw nude pix.
I'm fairly certain "breaking up with a girlfriend who was astonishing in bed" was code language for not getting Vinessa Shaw nudes.

copen

#215 Post by copen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:30 pm

i've never heard of this guy until today. thank you(?) criterion forum.
i tried to read several entries on his blog, but they weren't able to hold my attention.

ianthemovie

#216 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Does anybody know at what point Glenn Kenny gave up bothering to be nice to Jeff Wells? I ask because Kenny's Twitter feed would indicate that he, along with most of the rest of the critics' community, has basically has lost all respect for the guy, but I've been listening to Kenny's conversations with Wells from 2012 (recorded for Wells' podcast) and Kenny is totally respectful and generous. They're not exactly chummy, and you can occasionally feel Kenny bristle against Wells during the conversations, but the mere fact that Kenny was once willing to engage with Wells for several hours' worth of conversation about movies suggests that the nature of their relationship has changed dramatically in the last several years. I just wondered which of Wells' faux pas was the one that made Kenny realize Wells wasn't worth his time.

Those conversations, by the way, are completely fascinating for Kenny fans. I could listen to the man talk about movies all day. He has a few verbal tics (like saying "you know" constantly) but he's totally sharp, articulate, and hugely knowledgeable. In the interviews with Wells he goes into depth on most of the big end-of-the-year films, including Django, Amour, Lincoln, etc., as well as discusses the neo-liberal backlash against Zero Dark Thirty, the Criterion Blu-ray of On the Waterfront, the Oscar race, and many other topics. If you can manage to ignore the Wells half of the conversation, it's riveting stuff. Somebody needs to talk him into having his own podcast. I was a fan of the now-defunct Village Voice film podcast but good God, Kenny would be able to talk circles around those guys, to say nothing of the guys from /Film.

bdsweeney

#217 Post by bdsweeney » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:57 pm

ianthemovie wrote:Those conversations, by the way, are completely fascinating for Kenny fans. I could listen to the man talk about movies all day. Somebody needs to talk him into having his own podcast. I was a fan of the now-defunct Village Voice film podcast but good God, Kenny would be able to talk circles around those guys, to say nothing of the guys from /Film.
I have no idea if they're available anymore, but see if you can track down his conversations on (now defunct) 'The Film Talk' podcast. All three contributors were erudite and it made for a terrific listen.

criterion10

#218 Post by criterion10 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#219 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:10 am

I love the title of his answer.
When will people learn not to throw gasoline on the fire and instead focus on discussing the matter which has been tackled ?

I remember when Telerama's French journalist Aurelien Ferenczi negative review of Wall E was deemed as vastly missing the whole point of the movie, focusing instead on irrelevant points (like the movie not respecting Asimov laws of robotics, which would be like bashing Asterix for not respecting La guerre des Gaules). He responded to that by a post titled "Are we allowed to criticize Wall E ?" which actually simply was a compilation of posts made by users on his original review. :roll:

But hey, in the case of Wells, he saw that with a female friend ! So he knows what he's talking about based on this wildly representative sample of 1 woman ! Plus, another woman said it was "brutal"!

Joke aside, it's amazing he doesn't realise he's using a compellingly bad argument to make his case. Because a guy say his wife wouldn't last 5 minutes doesn't mean a thing... except what he said. My GF hates SF movies, would I write based on this for the upcoming Star Wars movies "Forget women seeing this" ?

He's extrapolating to the last degree things to justify having written an overly-simplistic generalisation.
And end up his answer with a Godwin point.

Gregory

#220 Post by Gregory » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:57 pm

Wells to Iñárritu:
Happy Thanksgiving to your and yours, but I need to share a thought or two about the hoo-hah of the last two days. You’ll forgive me but I’m feeling a certain kinship today with Hugh Glass. Well, somewhat. Let me explain...
The only similarity I see between Hugh Glass and Wells is that he's a Hugh Jass.

The comment that sparked this was stupid but wouldn't elicit any more than a shrug from me, but what's really pathetic is his using a weak mea culpa to repeatedly cast himself as a bloodied soldier in some kind of culture war, and something akin to a victim of an oppressive dictatorship, just because some people on social media disagreed with his statement and then the Guardian smelled a trivial controversy and picked it up.

Wells continues talking about what a favor he's done for the film through the courageous stand he's taken in the face of the vicious "predators."
...Now it’s suddenly a hot-button film that is demanding everyone’s attention — certainly the attention of your somewhat younger, Twitter-savvy militants.

Yes, I’m feeling wounded on this Thanksgiving Day. I have been bitten and torn and bloodied by an army of twitter dogs. But because of this The Revenant is now in a slightly better place. Tell me I’m deluded.

All hail the spirit of The Revenant — honor your life and your beating heart by insisting on survival to the very last breath.”
Happy to oblige: you're extremely deluded.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#221 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:19 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#222 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:48 pm

A+

gcgiles1dollarbin

#223 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:56 pm

Wells wants to see someone naturally exuding the real thing. I invite you all to take that sentence out of context for a moment.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#225 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:48 am

Wells also reminds us kindly that he has "judged no female performances based in their weight. Not once."
Of course, "Appatow Funny-Chubby Community's New Member" might disagree (and I forgot about Jennifer Lawrence being "a fairly tall, big-boned lady" and thus "too big" to be a love interest in The Hunger Games.