New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
flyonthewall2983

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#101 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Shane Black to helm Predator sequel, presumably involving the monster telling pussy jokes to uneasy relatives on Christmas.

Movie-Brat

#102 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:28 pm

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... w-20140704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is he sure about this? Lovecraft is not exactly pretty stuff and really, the MPAA is not very reliable.

vidussoni

#103 Post by vidussoni » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 pm

ianungstad wrote:Roman Polanski's D. which has been in the works since 2012 shoots this January. Cast is being kept under wraps. Sounds like another French language film.

The Dreyfus Affair is considered one of the most sensational political scandals in history and an enormous miscarriage of justice. In December 1894, Captain Alfred Dreyfus -- one of the few Jewish officers on the general staff of the French Army -- was subjected to a secret court martial after being accused of passing secrets to the Germans.

Dreyfus was sentenced to life imprisonment and sent to Devil's Island. However, Col. Georges Picquart gradually began to realize that the real traitor was still at large. His efforts to prove his theory caused him to clash with his superiors, and Picquart was framed for crimes he did not commit.

As for Dreyfus, he was eventually was cleared of all charges, but it took 12 years.
For some reason D is no longer on IMDB. Strange, because earlier this week I read he was looking to shoot in Poland, but wanted assurance that he wouldn't be extradited.

Another film he had in development, True Crimes, a thriller starring Christoph Waltz, is also gone.

Jeff

#104 Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:40 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#105 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:00 pm

They're just doing this to ensure double feature screenings with Joy for the next forty years I actually want to see a movie about Tupperware though, so

Movie-Brat

#106 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:16 pm

At least the first one is about a person. But it could be worse, the latter could feature Adam Sandler.

colinr0380

#107 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:45 am

The thing that the presumably quite proper and issue-led Tupperware biography film will have to compete against is Savage Grace, the incestual Bakelite biographic melodrama!

The problem with Space Invaders is that, unless you commit to doing the film in the way that Futurama did, then all you are going to be taking is a name and a few design concepts for some alien ships and UFOs. At whch point was there really any point in tying it into the "Space Invaders" brand apart from name recognition? (The other approach is to do what Doom and more recently Battleship did, in making a mostly unrelated film and then turning one sequence into people playing the game as a kind of homage or ironic joke depending on how charitable you are being! Amusingly the recent game Wolfenstein: The New Order itself did this with its nightmare flashback to its original days!)

warren oates

#108 Post by warren oates » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Either the worst idea ever, a surprisingly inspired choice of a director or both: Mark Romanek to helm prequel to The Shining.

Movie-Brat

#109 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm curious to see his take especially since the dude was supposed to direct The Wolfman before he left so yeah, I want to see his take on a Horror film.

warren oates

#110 Post by warren oates » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Did you forget about his first feature?

Movie-Brat

#111 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:08 pm

I thought I'd get shot down for mentioning One Hour Photo. Though I thought his first film was Static, a comedy-drama?

beamish13

#112 Post by beamish13 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Static, co-written with Keith Gordon, was indeed his first feature. Unfortunately, he's disavowed it, despite the fact that it's probably the
best thing he's ever been responsible for.

Movie-Brat

#113 Post by Movie-Brat » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:32 pm

beamish13 wrote:Static, co-written with Keith Gordon, was indeed his first feature. Unfortunately, he's disavowed it, despite the fact that it's probably the
best thing he's ever been responsible for.
Has he said why? If I were to guess, maybe he just didn't like the final result, period due to limitations.

beamish13

#114 Post by beamish13 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:
beamish13 wrote:Static, co-written with Keith Gordon, was indeed his first feature. Unfortunately, he's disavowed it, despite the fact that it's probably the best thing he's ever been responsible for.
Has he said why? If I were to guess, maybe he just didn't like the final result, period due to limitations.
He has said that it was more important for him to make a feature at a young age (25), than actually develop the maturity needed to create an important work, but he's really selling that film short. It's a tremendous achievement, and it deserves a much bigger cult audience.

Neil Gaiman, back when he was a freelance film critic, said that it made a bigger impression on him than any fiction features he had seen during his tenure as a magazine writer.

sir_luke

#115 Post by sir_luke » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 am

From Godfrey Reggio's Facebook:

"Currently, Reggio is in the initial stages of production on a new film, working with a narrative structure for the first time, that will explore the negative impact that consumerism and fundamentalism has had on the world."

It certainly would be interesting to see Reggio try to work with a conventional narrative. I'm excited to see whether anything will actually come of this (and I'm still waiting to see Visitors!).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#116 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Edgar Wright to direct adaptation of YA book Grasshopper Jungle -- If you are not familiar with the source text, it is simultaneously the most insane book to try to describe and yet it's all surprisingly intuitive in its normative weirdness (for lack of a better term) if you actually read it. I can't imagine anyone better to capture the tone than Wright

Movie-Brat

#117 Post by Movie-Brat » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:Edgar Wright to direct adaptation of YA book Grasshopper Jungle -- If you are not familiar with the source text, it is simultaneously the most insane book to try to describe and yet it's all surprisingly intuitive in its normative weirdness (for lack of a better term) if you actually read it. I can't imagine anyone better to capture the tone than Wright
I think the joke I'm thinking of is too easy at this point. But really, I got to see what he could do with such a premise because yeah, it's an insane high concept premise and it's my cup of tea.

FrauBlucher

#118 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Oh my, a Vanessa Del Rio biopic. This is in the development stage but has producers, director and lead attached.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#119 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm not nearly as swaddled in childhood lit/tv/whateverelse nostalgia as some on this forum, but perhaps my most beloved childhood novel, A Wrinkle In Time, is being adapted by Frozen writer/co-director Jennifer Lee

sir_luke

New Films in Production, v.2

#120 Post by sir_luke » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:05 am

No idea whether or not this is old news, but Sofia Coppola is set to direct an adaptation of The Little Mermaid, scripted by frequent Tim Burton collaborator Caroline Thompson.

Movie-Brat

#121 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 pm

Knew about that one months ago. Didn't think she'd go for such a project to be honest.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#122 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Someone liked Kevin Smith's Tusk enough to finance Clerks III. It's like Before Midnight for people who wear ankle-length jorts.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#123 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:14 pm

I can't imagine Smith ever actually retiring-- he's like John Waters and at a certain point just making movies in order to give him more opportunities to talk during promotional tours

flyonthewall2983

#125 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Léa Seydoux and Dave Bautista join the next James Bond movie.