MoviePass and Other Cinema Subscription Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
brendanjc

MoviePass and Other Cinema Subscription Services

#1 Post by brendanjc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Has anyone decided to take the plunge and sign up for MoviePass? I'm a little wary of the idea, but I could see it paying off over the course of a one-year membership, especially if I were to make an effort in the next couple months of award season.

dx23

Re: MoviePass

#2 Post by dx23 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:24 am

I'm still not clear on MoviePass. What theaters are eligible? What are the full member benefits? Is it one membership per person or can a I buy a family plan?

brendanjc

#3 Post by brendanjc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:44 am

I did a little digging after getting an invite today. It looks like there are only individual plans, and you have to make a one year commitment. Prices vary by market - in my area (Seattle) it's $35 a month. Overall, I'd need to average roughly a film a week for the entire year to make this worthwhile. You can use the membership for at most one film a day, and only one time for any given film. The deal is only good for 'regular' 2D film screenings; IMAX and 3D releases aren't eligible.

In my area, the membership is valid at the majority of theaters. We have a lot of options in Seattle - the pass works at all the Regal and AMC chains, and surprisingly most of the independent theaters. It doesn't work at most of the Landmark theaters, the Sundance theater, or the local film festival theaters.

There are a few suspicious things in the terms of service. It looks like MoviePass reserves the right to cancel the program before the year is up, at which point you owe them the difference between the membership fees you've paid and the amount they spent on your tickets. In other words, you'd have to pay out all the money you thought you had saved in the first place! I was curious if anyone had opinions from experience yet - unless there was some positive word of mouth, I think I'm going to pass.

dx23

#4 Post by dx23 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I've heard about MoviePass from several people but no one had a clear idea of cost and benefits. This sounds good on paper but until I hear from customer's experience, I'm not going to try it. Right now, many of the cinemas nearby (Regal and AMC) have trouble processing their own promotions, Groupon deals and movie cash that comes with many BDs, so I'm a little skeptic that this will work out.

Numero Trois

#5 Post by Numero Trois » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:51 pm

brendanjc wrote:The deal is only good for 'regular' 2D film screenings; IMAX and 3D releases aren't eligible.
They've changed it now. Imax and 3D are now part of the higher tier of $45 per month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/busin ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Movie Theater Experiences

#6 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:55 pm

MoviePass has lowered their monthly rate from $50 to $9.99. Their site's DOA right now from traffic, but it claims unlimited 2D screenings at 91% of first run theatres in the states

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Is this only supposed to be available for a limited time?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:01 pm

I don't believe so. Here's the blog post as quoted on Reddit
Dear MoviePass Community,
For the last several years, we have been testing a number of service offers and price points. We have learned a lot during this process and believe that we now have an offer that can’t be beat.
Effective today, we are introducing a universal subscription plan for $9.95 per month. MoviePass will have one price point nationwide and it will be for standard 2D films only. As a subscriber, you can see any movie, at any theater, at any time. For your convenience, we currently support more than 91 percent of movie theaters nationwide. Unfortunately, premium formats such as 3D and IMAX will not be included in this plan.
We believe that you want to see more movies in theaters. Our $9.95 per month subscription makes it possible for you to see a movie every day, if you would like.
For current members, your price will automatically be reduced to $9.95, beginning on your next billing cycle following August 15th.
As before, there is no contract, so you are free to cancel at any time. This price point will be guaranteed for at least 12 months for those who sign up during this period. Space is limited.
To all of those members who have supported us over the years, thank you! We look forward to continuing to provide award-winning service and giving you the largest selections of movies and theaters in the industry.
See you at the movies! The MoviePass Team
EDIT apparently I can't read, it is limited

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:05 pm

When they fix their site, this link will tell you what theatres in your area participate (replace the zip code with your own)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#10 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Wow I'll finally take the plunge. The main drawback is only one film a day and you have to buy tickets in person, right? I understand I am in the minority about being affected by this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:13 pm

The comments on the Reddit discussion say they've added online purchases. Also, I'm able to sign up via the app, so if y'all want to hop on this, that's one way for now

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#12 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:18 pm

Can anyone in NYC confirm if Film Forum uses it? I've heard they used to but it appears when I search the zip code.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Don't know. I can't get the zip code page to load for me at all, so I'm holding off on completing my registration til I can confirm at least Landmark Theatres uses it (I doubt the Charles does, but that would be a great bonus).

This might be useful. From a Reddit user who's been a MoviePass member
You can only see one film per day

You can only see a film once

You can't use it for IMAX or 3D

The feature has recently went away but for a while you had to take a picture of your ticket to prove you paid for the film you said you were going to see

The app can often be buggy and not have the proper film listings or they may not show up at all

If you go to a theater that has seating reservations you can't order them online, you have to be in person in theater to buy your tickets.
Though apparently MoviePass tweeted today that they've removed the repeat restriction, so you can see a film again on the pass

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#14 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:24 pm

I've already checked in the past, Landmark doesn't support it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Yeesh, that would be a hard pass then-- not worth going up to Hunt Valley for the AMC just for one free movie a day

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#16 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:27 pm

I've heard nothing but bad things about this service with regard to app reliability and transparency (apparently some people have their price hiked if they use the service too much, for example). Staying away regardless, but I can't say it wouldn't be tempting if Landmark were indeed included. The fact that they don't make it clear what theater chains use it and which ones don't should be evidence enough that it's a mess over there, and they don't want people to be enabled to make an informed purchasing decision, or at least they don't care.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#17 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:30 pm

App signup is not working. Got to Credit Card entry screen and it froze. But my friends are all going to the Quad, Lincoln Center, and other rep places in NYC and have had no complaints to my knowledge.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:31 pm

I found a link to a DC listing from earlier today, which lists everything (including the AFI!) but not Landmark (E Street), so it seems like that policy hasn't changed

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#19 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:38 pm

One more complaint about this: The requirement to buy tickets at the theater itself in order to have the service work is a huge bummer when one considers how common assigned seating is at larger movie theater chains nowadays. Buying tickets ahead of time online allows for the ability to find favorable seating, which is usually gobbled up by the time you'd arrive at the theater (not to mention the fact that it eliminates the ability to roll in right before the movie starts that assigned seating has afforded me in recent years - there's nothing better than missing all the ads prior to the trailers because you don't have to worry about the good seats getting taken).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Assigned seating sounds horrible. I want to be able to move the moment I realize a talker is sitting behind, in front of, or beside me

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#21 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm a fan of the "telling them to shut the fuck up" method

knives

#22 Post by knives » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:55 pm

I tried that once. Almost got stabbed for my trouble.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#23 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:57 pm

It does help to be a broad-shouldered guy with a bald head - while I'm far from the most intimidating person you're going to meet, I'm sure it would be a lot different if I landed a different sequence of numbers in the genetic lottery.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#24 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Assigned seating does have one critical use: a bunch of friends meeting up and not needing to worry about saving seats.

PfR73

#25 Post by PfR73 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 pm

But it also means you have to make plans with your friends way in advance or there won't be enough seats together.