The Founder (John Lee Hancock, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Founder (John Lee Hancock, 2016)

#26 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 am

captveg wrote:Not helping matters is one badly distracting plink-and-plunk music score of the bad TV Movie variety.
I was begging for mfunk's sarcastic prediction of "Too Darn Hot" to actually happen and spare me from the twangy shithole MOTW music in this film!

This was a total failure, shot in ugly digital with no rhyme or reason. The decision to make every crowd scene integrated in the mid-50s was... creative. I've seen some reviews praise the film for allowing Kroc to screw over the poor li'l hick brothers, but this film is too nice by like a million. It would not have taken much to fix this, either: Ditch all Laura Dern scenes, cut out all unnecessary second-unit padding, and take inspiration from your subject and just be mean for fuck's sake. This film pussyfoots around and ends up narratively siding with the McDonald brothers' lack of vision and foresight. Are we supposed to not like Ray Kroc? Because he's without a doubt the only character here worth rooting for. Does this film really think it has a backbone and is lashing out at Kroc and not celebrating him halfheartedly just by presenting the facts? What a waste of material that could have been the basis for a biting satire or black comedy.