It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Why would that piss them off? Is the idea of Ronald McDonald eating children beneficial to the McD brand in Russia?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:50 am 

I finally saw this and thought it was pretty good. I was already too old for the mini-series to have much of an effect on me and thought it was pretty crummy back then, so this was an improvement. Whatever flaws there may be, are with King‘s source novel, which I was never a huge fan of. When a monster becomes too powerful and can pull an unlimited amount of tricks out of its hat, I find it becomes somewhat unrelatable. There is an unnecessarily over-elaborate mythology at the core of It, though the film does well in dropping a portion of the mystical alternative universe mumbo-jumbo from the book.

But Muschietti pulls off some genuinely grotesque and disturbing imagery and the scares are well staged. The changes made to the novel, omitting the weird kiddie orgy and changing the monsters from their Universal Monster template to something more weird, are improvements. I didn’t have a problem with the jump scares we all are supposed to complain about these days in horror films. The only time I hate those is when they are fake scares. This is the type of fun house style spook show for which this approach works. Most importantly, the kids were likeable and kept me invested enough to care. The girl was particularly good.

Like the new Star Wars film, the reception of It followed a now familiar pattern. Early reviews declaring it a triumph, followed by a vicious online backlash where every aspect gets picked apart. I’m glad I saw it at some distance from that. This was a great year for horror films, so I’m not sure It even cracks my top ten but I‘m looking forward to the second part.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:48 pm 
Dot Com Dom

James McAvoy and Bill Hader in talks to join Jessica Chastain in It: Part 2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7