Booksmart (Olivia Wilde, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Satori

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde, 2019)

#1 Post by Satori » Sun May 26, 2019 8:04 am

The latest entry in the high school female buddy movie genre—one of the richest veins of contemporary comedy (see also Lady Bird, Blockers)—has been getting rave reviews. Indeed, it is very funny, but never mean, and it is consistently engaging on a visual level, with music video-like flourishes and inventive fantasy sequences that allow the film to focus on the subjective experiences of the leads. I found the film to be completely charming.

It is also a kind of utopian vision of what high school could be like—while the animosities are there at the beginning of the film, they are transcended by the end once everyone actually gets to know each other. Like The Breakfast Club, this is a film with a deep faith in democracy and liberalism (in the classic sense of the word). If everyone could just have a conversation and get into some adventures together, the film suggests, we could overcome our prejudices while still retaining our differences.

While most of the reviews have been uniformly positive, I found Richard Brody’s mixed review in The New Yorker to be one of the most interesting. He begins by situating it within the contemporary cultural moment:
Some films embody the Trump era, some confront it, and still others ignore its existence. “Booksmart,” the first feature directed by Olivia Wilde, is in a stranger category: it’s a counterfactual comedy about a world minus Trumpism, in which ostensible blue-state values prevail, without the slightest whiff of hatreds, enmities, or hostilities, except for those caused by personal misunderstandings that are easily and quickly corrected. As a form of wish fulfillment, it’s fascinating if unpersuasive; as a vision of its subject—high-school life—it’s as faux-sweet and faux-innocent as the films of the Frankie Avalon era.
I find this reading useful, although I ultimately disagree with Brody’s political assessment. His claim that this is a “counterfactual comedy about a world minus Trumpism” is suggestive, as if the film takes place in a kind of science fictional alternate universe without demagoguery, Fox News, and right-wing populism. (This may not be unique to this particular film, either: I wonder if this would be a useful way of analyzing the class content of the John Hughes films in relation to the dominant Reagan ideology.)

It is also worth clarifying that the film takes place in an upscale California suburb. As a portrait of young people in such a space—especially young women—the film’s surface-level politics actually feel right to me. I think that one could make a fairly persuasive case that the major blue-state cities are an actually-existing counterfactual to Trumpism, at least on a cultural level. So while the film could be criticized for obscuring the country’s real ideological division, which is largely geographical, this division is probably not a significant factor in the lives of the characters who are being depicted. (Another sidebar: it would be fascinating to think about how movie distribution reflects these larger geographical divisions. Given that rural areas have many less screens than suburban or urban ones, is this film even likely to play in really Trumpy areas?)

Even if it did take place in an alternate universe, I don’t think that makes the film less valuable. Aren’t high school comedies supposed to be wish fulfillment, at least to a certain degree? Usually this is registered on the level of the individual character: the nerd who gets the girl, the idiots who pass the test, the underdogs who win the game. In Brody’s reading, the wish fulfilment elements in Booksmart are instead larger cultural ones: the depiction of a world of racial and sexual diversity, a high school in which all the oddballs and goofs have secure futures, a world of tolerance and understanding. This worldview is registered in the film’s comedic form: this is a film in which the jokes are good-natured, not cruel; everyone in the film has a sense of humor about themselves, so we are always laughing with them and not at them. In a world in which our president is an unfunny insult comic, this itself strikes me as an important political act.

HJackson

Re: The Films of 2019

#2 Post by HJackson » Sun May 26, 2019 9:42 am

Brody seems to have really shoehorned politics into the review. As you say the milieu of the film is not even close to being Trump Country to begin with. The Beanie Feldstein character has pretty accurate left-wing/borderline "Resistance" politcs too - photos of Michelle Obama and RBG in her bedroom, an Elizabeth Warren 2020 bumper sticker etc. and her goal in life is to be a liberal justice of the United States Supreme Court. I don't know if he wanted unmotivated spluttering rants about the President or for the school to somehow be a microcosm of US national politics, but whatever he was angling for it doesn't seem like a fair expectation for the film to fulfil...

RitrovataBlue

#3 Post by RitrovataBlue » Sun May 26, 2019 10:28 am

Whatever the film’s politics, it’s showing nationally. I live in a light blue city in a deep red state, and a cursory glance at Fandango reveals that this will be playing in every movie theater with more than six screens within 250 miles. The offspring of my former high school classmates, who once voted in a class reworking of the Bill of Rights to include a bill *banishing* anyone “guilty” of homosexuality (fun fact: this was a compromise position I argued them down to after the initial suggestion of biblically mandated stoning), will be watching the same movie as Nancy Pelosi’s grandkids. This isn’t exactly strange; American Sniper played San Francisco, after all. In my experience, most viewers aren’t especially politically threatened by characters they disagree with; they just probably won’t recommend the movie to their friends.

Or maybe they will. After all, there aren’t really any red state teen movies. My classmates and I grew up on teen movies ranging from John Hughes to the American Pie franchise, and precisely none of those films was set in our world. I don’t remember too many complaints, or xenophobia about the mostly Jewish casts of many of these movies for that matter. I did often fantasize about cutting class to go to an art museum like Ferris Bueller, something patently impossible where I lived at the time. If anything, I expect this movie’s political content will function for today’s left-leaning rural teens like that scene in Ferris Bueller did for me: as a clear message to get the hell out of the country for people who already wanted to leave.

Satori

Re: Booksmart (Olivia Wilde, 2019)

#4 Post by Satori » Sun May 26, 2019 11:10 am

That's great that the film is playing everywhere- I wasn't thinking that it wouldn't for political reasons, but I didn't know how wide of a release it got. I think it would certainly be enjoyed by anyone who would go see a raunchy teen comedy, regardless of political beliefs. It is explicitly feminist and queer, but, as you say, not too many viewers would be all that focused on its politics anyway. I didn't think about these issues until after the screening--I was too busy laughing my ass off.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#5 Post by Drucker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:43 pm

Well I just got back from this film, and while it may be nice that it's playing everywhere, I found this to be a pretty big letdown. There was a decent amount to enjoy, and the characters were fine, but the filmmaking style rubbed me the wrong way.

The characterizations outlined above are basically spot on. We are introduced to an early in-crowd vs. out-crowd dynamic, but the out-crowd protagonists are likeable, clever, and quirky. Edgy teachers, a foul-mouthed principal, and peers that aren't afraid to use curse words set the tone for this to be 'realistic'.

Unfortunately, the film spends too much time on epic music cues and slow motion character introductions. The film is in a word...exhausting.
SpoilerShow
There's a moment where it actually appears as if the girls may not make it to a party they are trying to reach. Sure enough, their last minute idea works, and they make it to the party. Every character in the movie ends up being a caricature. Actually this cool kid is going to Harvard. Actually this attractive jock is a programmer. While trying to tell a story where we up-end people's expectations, while trying to tell a story where our protagonist learns a lesson about judging people, it becomes an after school special where basically everybody has value and we are all friends, hooray!
I can't help but think of it in comparison to Superbad, which I know it's being compared to. Perhaps I look at that movie a little rosier because I felt in tune with that generation, time period, and gender. But what I enjoyed about that film is that there are very definable scenes. There's a whole portion of the film where one main character spends time away from the others. The stakes in Booksmart are incredibly low, everything is instantly resolved, and it all sort of blurs together.

Honestly, It Follows is probably my favorite teen film of the decade.

dda1996a

#6 Post by dda1996a » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:04 am

Another thing that bothered me is how far the film goes to make a lot of characters more odd than they should be. It might all go to show, as been said, that beneath it all they are credible people. But for so long the characters break the realistic credible world it introduced.
I agree re Superbad. That film was crude, but at least I felt there were indeed major things happening in each step of the way. Here there are barely anything really happening until the last party, and even then not much. They just sort of skip from scene to scene, hitting the required beats. And also, while McLovin etc. are really eccentric, they did feel credible to me, which many of Booksmart's characters didn't (with the exception of the leading duo).
And I rather enjoyed the three years three female coming of age movies.

Mr Sheldrake

#7 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:28 am

I saw this and Long Shot on consecutive afternoons. Both are desperate for laughs and I did indeed comply several times. What both left me with was a severe case of FuckFatigue. Fuck is used like a battering ram, in nearly every line of dialogue, sometimes twice if the comic intent needed more punch. From the Secretary of State to studious high school nerds it's the word of choice, though in real life (which these movies don't remotely resemble) I believe it to be "like".

Satori

#8 Post by Satori » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:52 am

Drucker and dda1996a, I get what you both are saying, although some of your critiques are actually what I liked about the film: "basically everybody has value and we are all friends, hooray!" is I think precisely the point. And "here there are barely anything really happening until the last party, and even then not much," is one of the thing that I found refreshing about the film.

I think this belongs to the genre that Tarantino dubbed the "hangout film," in the tradition of films like (in my own personal canon), Stage Door, Rio Bravo, Celine and Julie Go Boating and Old Joy. This is my favorite genre: likeable, fairly uncomplicated protagonists who mostly sit around talking in a world with no real villains (or, when there are villains, as in the Hawks film, they are one-dimensional caricatures representing the 1%, who we don't have to spend time with).

So in the final analysis, I think we agree on our reading of the film, but just have differing aesthetic judgements in relation its genre.

The one thing I am questioning--and I know that this didn't originate with you--is the comparison to Superbad. This is perhaps symptomatic of my own distaste for that film (and I believe that I have written about it elsewhere on the forum, although i usually don't like to post about films that I dislike), but I question its utility in helping us to make sense of films like Blockers and Booksmart, except as a historical foil.

While the Judd Apatow films share surface-level connections with these later films--like the "buddy" dynamic and the focus on sex, neither of which originated with the former--I think their differences are more profound. Superbad seems to me to belong to a completely different cultural moment in terms of gender, sexuality, and political engagement: the fact that it was released in 2007 does seem significant, right on the cusp of both the housing crisis/ recession as well as the Obama presidency, two defining moments in forming the subjectivity of young people today.

I think there is also a deeper philosophical difference in the way the newer films conceive of humor in relation to its characters, particularly the lack of pure "insult" humor in regards to its secondary characters. There are almost no characters in Booksmart who exist purely to be the butt of a joke. This is accomplished through narrative structure: Wilde continues to bring character back to add to their personalities and make sure that they transcend the stereotype or "joke" through which they were first introduced. The vain rich kid has a warm heart, the "slut" is intelligent and able to express her sexual desires without apology (appropriately chastising one of the main characters), etc.

I'm still trying to think through these issues, but I've been wondering about some earlier iterations of this dynamic: I have always found it useful to contrast the John Hughes films with the other major branch of 80s teenage comedy, the raunchier, more misogynistic strain of Animal House, Porky's, and Revenge of the Nerds et al. Whatever the political problems of the Hughes films when viewing them today (and, to be honest, I'd rather not go back and rewatch them for precisely this reason--I'd prefer they remain the way they seemed when I was young and saw them on video in the 90s), these are films that I ultimately think were about inclusion and had more of a heart than the others. (The exception is Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which is I think the great masterpiece of 80s comedy precisely because it unpacks the sexual politics of the Animal House strain from within. But it is doing something different than the Hughes films, I think).

The major difference is that there is more of a historical distinction between the Superbad-era and what I hope will be a full fledged Blockers/Booksmart one: they are more than a decade apart, each reflecting the dominant cultural ideologies of the young people of that particular moment.

I suspect that the reference to It Follows might introduce a much more productive dialectic by contrasting the contemporary teen comedies and the teen horror film. These comedies are the utopian rejoinder to the the horror films. While Booksmart signifies the world that young people are trying to make for themselves, films like It Follows, Get Out, and the recent Netflix release The Perfection reflect how they are trying to cope with the world that older generations have left them.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#9 Post by Drucker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:23 pm

I hear what you're saying. In many ways, I think this film does a good job of highlighting the way teens today would like to see themselves. My partner is a high school art teacher, and she has been describing how nice this current generation is to each other for some time. There really is less bullying and meanness in real life than there was 15 years ago when we were high schoolers.

That said, I think that's kind of the only note the film has. "Don't judge a book by its cover" for an hour and a half. In that regard it's different than Lady Bird and Superbad. But the real issue is that...
SpoilerShow
as far as our protagonists are concerned, you can judge the books by the cover! Everyone else in school has layers upon layers of below-surface level... but our protagonists start the film as a weird queer girl and a weird chubby girl, and that's how they end up, just a slightly more confident version of the people we already knew they were.
And so if my reading in the spoiler is how others are seeing this, I just think that's sort of kind of dull.

Satori

#10 Post by Satori » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:10 pm

I think you're right-- I found the two protagonists to be so endearing that I didn't mind that they didn't change much. This is perhaps where this film differs a bit from Lady Bird and Blockers, which are both more traditional teen films in that the protagonists undergo a change. This is probably just a taste thing: while it might not be exactly the word I'd use, I like "dull" movies as long as I like the characters. Most modern American movies stress me out.

dda1996a

#11 Post by dda1996a » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:42 pm

But this didn't feel like much of a hangout film for me. I love Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!!! to death. But those films show multiple credible characters all just living. This movie doesn't so that. We don't get the same intellectual conversations with barely any drama. This tries (and fails Imo) to introduce a lot of conflicts, which end up being cliched to my eyes.

Jack Kubrick

#12 Post by Jack Kubrick » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 pm

HJackson wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:42 am
Brody seems to have really shoehorned politics into the review. As you say the milieu of the film is not even close to being Trump Country to begin with. The Beanie Feldstein character has pretty accurate left-wing/borderline "Resistance" politcs too - photos of Michelle Obama and RBG in her bedroom, an Elizabeth Warren 2020 bumper sticker etc. and her goal in life is to be a liberal justice of the United States Supreme Court. I don't know if he wanted unmotivated spluttering rants about the President or for the school to somehow be a microcosm of US national politics, but whatever he was angling for it doesn't seem like a fair expectation for the film to fulfil...
Without seeing the film does sounds suspicious of being a "Resistance" wankpiece that many white liberal film critics seem to rally around. There was a hit piece that came out last week attacking the film's politics, much of the centering on class being erased from a privilege creator whose background was as comfortable as the kids portray in the film.

Booksmart: A high school movie for Biden voters.

Satori

#13 Post by Satori » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:59 am

I'm not quite sure how to respond since I have no idea what "'Resistance' wankpiece" means (although the sexual politics of that phrase are rather telling), but I have apparently decided to die on the hill of defending Booksmart and the piece you linked to is so ridiculous that I can't help myself.

While I have a certain sympathy for vulgar Marxist readings, the author doesn't actually engage with the film other than to point out that it doesn't have any poor characters in it. This is true, but then again, the film takes place in a wealthy Los Angeles suburb. So how exactly should the film have included poor characters? I think it would have been far more offensive to throw in a token "kid who would be going on to community college or labor activism or nursing" when the film wasn't actually going to interrogate class politics. Look, if you want to begin film criticism from the axiom that all films should be about poverty and the class struggle, that is fine, but you are often going to completely miss the point. More importantly, why waste your energy on a mid-budget high school comedy?

The answer to that question, for the author of this piece at least, is that she isn't really interested in saying anything about the film at all, but using it as a crude bludgeon in the internecine conflict within the Democratic party. First, she tries to discredit Olivia Wilde because she has supported mainstream Democratic candidates: for example, if we follow the links the author helpfully provides, we learn that Wilde (gasp!) supported Obama when he was in office and endorsed Clinton in 2016...in the fucking general election against Trump.

But let's really unpack that finally paragraph, where the author delivers her ultimate insult: that this is a "high school movie for Biden voters." The Biden whose campaign is attempting to appeal to the very blue collar working class that the film ignores. The Biden whose supporters, according to an article on 538, are much older than those of the other candidates (according to one poll discussed in the piece, he is doing nearly twice as well among voters over 65 than with voters who are 18-29). Somehow that doesn't feel like the film's demographic: indeed, according to Box Office Mojo, 79% of its opening weekend crowd was under 35.

If someone wants to make a case for the Democrats to move further left on economic issues or focus more on big structural changes, I'm there. But a joke of a "hit piece" on a smart, funny, and liberal film that has nothing to do with these issues isn't the place to do it. Let's leave the culture war bullshit to the Republicans.

dda1996a

#14 Post by dda1996a » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 am

This has to be the stupidest argument against a film in a long while. I didn't care for it much vis-a-vis Roma, but at least there I could sort of understand it. But it makes no sense here
Not every film needs to be a Mid90s or Ladybird focusing on the lower middle class. And I didn't really like the film.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#15 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 am

Jack Kubrick wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 pm
Without seeing the film does sounds suspicious of being a "Resistance" wankpiece that many white liberal film critics seem to rally around. There was a hit piece that came out last week attacking the film's politics, much of the centering on class being erased from a privilege creator whose background was as comfortable as the kids portray in the film.

Booksmart: A high school movie for Biden voters.
Haven't seen this yet, but that class argument is almost certainly as ridiculous as when it is used against John Hughes movies. Hell, beyond that, what is inherently wrong (or not-liberal, even) about a privileged director making a political movie about a bunch of privileged people? Are we supposed to reject La Règle Du Jeu on principle because Jean Renoir grew up comfortably?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#16 Post by Drucker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 am

The film is in no way a resistance wankpiece. Yes the protagonists are 2019 woke high school senior girls. But the film is not about that at all. Maybe 5 minutes of dialogue tops.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#17 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 am

Drucker wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 am
The film is in no way a resistance wankpiece. Yes the protagonists are 2019 woke high school senior girls. But the film is not about that at all. Maybe 5 minutes of dialogue tops.
Sounds like a pretty good percentage of the film! Anyway, I came here because I am thrilled to report that LQ didn't like this, which means I never ever have to see it. If anyone wants to come, I'm having drinks to celebrate after work.

All kidding aside, I can't remember the last film that felt like it was being sold to me via a ginned up cultural conversation as much as this one. It largely bombed at the box office, but almost like Futurama's Lightspeed Briefs, it was being beamed through social media discussion and critical fawning at me for weeks, up to and including people on Twitter performatively offering to purchase tickets for people because it's such an "essential" film and an "instant cult classic". Give me a fucking break.
This was a very interesting piece, thanks for sharing it.

Persona

#18 Post by Persona » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:56 pm

I watched the first six minutes in some promotional thing the movie did with Youtube, and that's all I needed.

Pretty much the only interesting thing was the fact that Dever is probably most known for playing Tim Allen's hyper-conservative daughter in his sitcom "Last Man Standing" (which my wife watches, for some reason) and this film knowingly casts her in a character that's the complete opposite, so I guess that's a fun bit of meta-textual dissociation and a lark at the idea of these parasocial relationships we have with utterly fictional characters that actors are playing, actors who in fact might be nothing like their characters in certain instances (I won't claim to know which character is a better representative of Dever as a person).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:58 pm

She’ll always be Loretta from Justified to me

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:10 pm

Same

Satori

#21 Post by Satori » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Wow, guess I'm actually the only person who liked this movie. Well, I know a lost cause when I see one. I'll just be moving along folks, nothing to see here. :-"

Persona

#22 Post by Persona » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:43 pm

Satori wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:17 pm
Wow, guess I'm actually the only person who liked this movie. Well, I know a lost cause when I see one. I'll just be moving along folks, nothing to see here. :-"
Well, and I'm not trying to completely write off the movie just because of the first six minutes I saw. I will definitely give it a fair shot once it comes to my library or streaming. Just can't justify going to the theater when I didn't like the preview of it.

There's so much content on streaming now that covers similar ground (and perhaps does it better) and there's really nothing about the movie that screams, "You should see this on a big screen." Which is probably part of the reason it's not doing well at the box office.

Finch

#23 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Either the trailer is doing a poor job of selling the actual film (and I'll be honest, I was less excited about the film after that preview) or it might just be "solid-to-good" but not flat out great as some reviews have been saying (take Hereditary which I liked a lot less than many critics seem to have, and I'm a horror film fan). Like Persona, I feel like the marketing material is not convincing me to see this on the big screen. I realise this is not helping the current situation where many people, me included, bitch about the lack of original films and then not going to see them when they open theatrically, and I dread a future where cinemas, including the arthouse theatres, show nothing but Disney's dreck, and I realise by not going to watch Booksmart theatrically, I'm only adding to the pressure of smaller films having to be sensational to even have a chance in this unforgiving market but I guess I'm also kind of arguing that distributors need to up their game to sell this stuff. While I haven't seen the film and therefore have no way of knowing whether A24 could have done a better job with marketing the actual thing, I do wonder whether Booksmart might have fared better with someone like A24 instead of Annapurna. A24's marketing is almost always ace. But I think Satori has defended the film very well.

Foam

#24 Post by Foam » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Luckily I haven't caught a wiff of the alleged "see this movie or you're a misogynist" campaign Kyle Smith describes and decided to catch a matinee of it today simply because I like and miss good mid-budget comedies. I wasn't disappointed and in fact think this outdid the last good mainstream comedy to be embraced by cinephiles, Game Night. I'm with Satori, this film is better than Superbad and its ilk for all the reasons mentioned and then some. It's interesting to see complaints both that "nothing much happens" and that the film shoehorns ineffective drama; I thought the film creates a very credible if admittedly stylized world which kept me engaged for every minute of its runtime. It's too hyperactive and densely packed with detail to really feel as lazy as a through-and-through hangout film, but who cares when the performances are this lively, the editing is this witty, and the musical cues (yes, see it in a theater!!) are this effective? I live in one of the reddest of red states and this played for me as some very welcome feel good escapism.

dda1996a

#25 Post by dda1996a » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:42 pm

What was effective about the editing and musical cues?