The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Terry Gilliam, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Antoine Doinel

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Gilliam is looking to take another swing at The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

sir_luke

New Films in Production, v.2

#3 Post by sir_luke » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Jack O'Connell to star. Also, it looks like they're shooting for a spring '16 release. Let's hope it works out this time!

Roger Ryan

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#4 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:39 pm

sir_luke wrote:
Jack O'Connell to star. Also, it looks like they're shooting for a spring '16 release. Let's hope it works out this time!
That first link is from August when things were looking a little rosier. By mid-September, when Gilliam was doing promotion for the North American release of THE ZERO THEOREM, he admitted that he was frustrated that the financing for QUIXOTE had just hit another snag. Hopefully this new story from Variety indicates that everything is back on-track.

ianungstad

#5 Post by ianungstad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:10 pm

The new Quixote sounds pretty bad. The project has been reconfigured so now it's a meta-narrative about a director trying to film Don Quixote. I assume Gilliam's trying to downscale the thing so it can work on a small indie budget. Why bother? The whole meta approach was already covered with Lost in La Mancha.

AFM News-

Alexander Payne and Matt Damon are doing a scifi comedy for fox called Downsizing.

Retribution is a film set up at FilmNation trying to drum up presales this week. Brian DePalma and Al Pacino reunite to tell the story of a cop and hitman who team up to crack a child prostitution ring. Sounds questionable.

Benicio Del Toro; Robert Pattinson and Jamie Foxx are cast in the new Harmony Korine film that starts shooting in a few weeks.

Roger Ryan

Re: Terry Gilliam

#7 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:41 pm

This sounds great for Gilliam, but I wonder if the trade-off means QUIXOTE (or subsequent projects) will not get a Blu-ray release.

Swift

#8 Post by Swift » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Production begins on Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Dr Amicus

#9 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:01 am

A pig has just flown past my window...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knives

#10 Post by knives » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:27 pm

And landed on the animator ending this whole saga.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Dr Amicus shouldn't have sent the pig out of his iPhone in the first place

Yakushima

Re: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Terry Gilliam, 201?)

#12 Post by Yakushima » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:15 pm

I am afraid to jinx it, but according to the reports by good people at the Dreams (Gilliam online fanzine) message board a shooting of "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" is underway and Jonathan Pryce is a new Quixote. I am keeping all my fingers crossed for Mr. Gilliam!

hearthesilence

#13 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 pm

It would have been wonderful if it were John Hurt and Johnny Depp, the former now gone and the latter possibly too old, but Jonathan Pryce sounds promising.

Roger Ryan

#14 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm a bit surprised that Michael Palin didn't stick around as Quixote; can't imagine he would encounter a conflict with his schedule. Still, Pryce has greater range and I'm just happy Adam Driver is still aboard as I feel he is an ideal actor to channel Gilliam's particular madness. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Gilliam is shooting the film on his iPhone.

The Narrator Returns

#16 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 pm

I know having hope for this movie getting made is the actual definition of insanity, but this sounds like one nutjob producer charging at windmills more than it does a serious threat to the movie's production. Plus, I get the feeling Gilliam would totally cobble together something from two months of shooting rather than give up on this again.

Roger Ryan

#17 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 am

Gilliam publicly blamed Branco last October for failing to deliver the funds necessary to start production. If one can trust Facebook posts from people who claimed to have worked with him, Branco has a known reputation for being shady and unreliable. When filming started in early March of this year, I had assumed Gilliam found other producing partners. Logically, it's not even in Branco's best interest to try and stop the production or completion of the film. If the courts find he does own the film (or a portion of it), he'll stand to gain more with a finished product that can potentially earn money. A greater detriment would be if the current producers or insurers feel they need to shut down production until the lawsuit is settled.

flyonthewall2983

#19 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:47 am

Gilliam is the 2016 Chicago Cubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djproject

#20 Post by djproject » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:54 am

Damage to the Convento de Tomar due to TMWKDQ filming

Apparently, Portugal is no different than the rest of the world when it comes to reacting to sensational reporting. I don't think it is as severe as the Portuguese make it out to be and there have been no official statements responding to this.

Lost Highway

Re: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Terry Gilliam, 2018)

#24 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 am

I haven't liked a Terry Gilliam film since 12 Monkeys. Judging from the awful trailer, this doesn't look like a return to form, passion project or not.

knives

Re: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Terry Gilliam, 2018)

#25 Post by knives » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:29 am

The lack of obvious CGI makes me a bit hopeful though that boobs scene does make me doubtful.