The House That Jack Built (Lars von Trier, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Oedipax

Re: The House That Jack Built (Lars von Trier, 2018)

#176 Post by Oedipax » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:26 pm

The part of the film alluded to by the poster was definitely its strongest section for me - Von Trier stepping outside what has felt like a bit of an aesthetic rut for his last several films. I found the movie as a whole to be a little tedious although it's not without interest. I can't really get behind either the 1 or 5 star reviews for this one, and some of the apocalyptic reactions out of Cannes seem absurd to me -
SpoilerShow
although I do think the use of Holocaust imagery in the film's meta-essay context is edging up pretty close to the line of tastelessness and exploitation.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#177 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Do you mind if I ask where you saw it? Didn't realize it had played anywhere else since Cannes.

Oedipax

#178 Post by Oedipax » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:20 pm

I saw it at the satellite Cannes event in Paris, which is open to the public. It's held every year at the Gaumont Opéra during the last 3 days of the festival (although this year, because the festival ended on Saturday, it ran Fri-Sat-Sun, so technically finished one day after the official closing). Films are generally only shown once each, and mostly come from the Competition - it's a toss-up which films actually end up playing, and the line-up is generally only announced a few days before the screenings, so if you (like me) make travel plans to be there, there's no guarantee you'll get all the films you wanted. Afterwards, there are other satellite events for Un Certain Regard and the Quinzaine (held at Reflet Médicis and Forum des Images, respectively, also open to everyone) that are generally more complete, although this year Long Day's Journey Into Night ended up not playing because the theater wasn't equipped to screen 3D and the 2D version wasn't ready yet.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#179 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:31 pm

A-ha! It sounded a bit more recent than that, that's what made me curious.