It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Neon won bidding for Margot Robbie's Tonya Harding biopic I, Tonya, which will get an Oscar qualifying run for this year. Buzz is big on Allison Janney being a shoo-in for Best Supporting Actress

Post subject: Re: The Films of 2017
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm 

Neon's managed to totally flub almost all of its releases so far, so I'd not get hopes up either way. I'd argue A24's not had a particularly great year in terms of successful releases, either, but I expect they'll have gotten this awards release thing down to a science by now that the Alamo/Neon guys just couldn't possibly have the experience of mounting successful awards runs. Crazier things have happened, but I just don't have the faith in them (nor do I think the buzz has been generally positive enough to get more than a shrug from most people anyway).

Post subject: Re: The Films of 2017
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Acting noms are possible, no chance for anything else. I imagine Neon committed to an aggressive awards campaign for Robbie and Janney, otherwise surely the producers would have taken the offer of what is believed to have been over twice as much from Netflix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 pm 
Dot Com Dom

This came in second for the audience award at TIFF, a strong indicator that this might be a crowd pleaser and potentially more of an awards draw than anticipated

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:32 pm 

Unsurprisingly given a December NY/LA release, despite huge controversy continuing bellowing behind the scenes at Alamo. It honestly seems like this scandal could be bad enough to cripple the company.