First Reformed (Paul Schrader, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
hearthesilence

Re: Paul Schrader

#1 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:57 am

Surprised there's no mention of it here, but as mentioned in FrauBlucher's link, Schrader's new film First Reformed is likely to premiere later this year. (The link is old - they've already finished shooting and it's in post-production.)

Given the material he's working with (the lead actor, Ethan Hawke, plays a military chaplain), I'm a bit optimistic about this film, and it would be a relief after the string of bad fortunes that have plagued so much of his recent work.

Professor Wagstaff

First Reformed (Paul Schrader, 2018)

#2 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:51 am

Paul Schrader's First Reformed

DarkImbecile

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#3 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:40 pm

mfunk9786

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:54 am

Professor Wagstaff wrote:Paul Schrader's First Reformed
This looks absolutely stunning.

dda1996a

#5 Post by dda1996a » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:56 pm

It's been ages since I liked a Schrader film, but I love his spiritual films and Hawke so I'm excited. If this is as good as his 80s output I'll be happy

Big Ben

Re: First Reformed (Paul Schrader, 2018)

#6 Post by Big Ben » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Given the increase of rather poor films about faith coming into my local theater this looks really refreshing. Always down for well made films around this topic.

Werewolf by Night

Re: Paul Schrader

#7 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed May 16, 2018 5:59 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Surprised there's no mention of it here, but as mentioned in FrauBlucher's link, Schrader's new film First Reformed is likely to premiere later this year. (The link is old - they've already finished shooting and it's in post-production.)

Given the material he's working with (the lead actor, Ethan Hawke, plays a military chaplain), I'm a bit optimistic about this film, and it would be a relief after the string of bad fortunes that have plagued so much of his recent work.
There's a trailer out now and it looks like the film is starting to roll out this weekend. Ignatiy Vishnevetsky calls it a "feature-length homage" to Diary of a Country Priest and Winter Light, which is enough to get my ass in a cinema seat.

hearthesilence

#8 Post by hearthesilence » Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Two more films Schrader programmed into that Quad Cinema retrospective. I'm almost certain critics were all given promotional materials that listed these films as big influences, one reason why so many reviews are name-checking them over and over. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to it - I have strong reservations about him as a filmmaker but he was (is?) a great writer, and this feels like the type of material that would be the best display of his talents.

DarkImbecile

#9 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed May 16, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm trying to wait until I can see it again to really write it up here, but I will say that if First Reformed isn't the best thing Schrader's ever directed, it's breathing down that film's neck.

hearthesilence

#10 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Glowing reviews from A.O. Scott in the NY Times and Stephanie Zacharek in Time.

I actually know someone who worked on this film, and to my understanding, this was a passion project in just about every sense of the world - a very small budget and I'm sure the usual stress that comes with finding a distributor. Given Schrader's troubles with nearly everything he's directed going back to Dominion, this sounds like a huge vindication for him as a filmmaker.

hearthesilence

#11 Post by hearthesilence » Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Saw this today. It was kind of like listening to Bob Dylan's 'Jack Frost' albums (particularly Modern Times), with Schrader's usual influences worn on his sleeve - there are scenes that play like direct quotes...
SpoilerShow
and the final shot quite beautifully evokes the final words to Robert Bresson's PICKPOCKET: "Oh, Jeanne, to reach you at last, what a strange path I had to take."
But this isn't just a lazy copy, he's reconstituting questions that have much more to say in the current world. There are moments where as usual he goes over-the-top, but this is the most effective context he's ever worked with (not simply the most "obvious") which is why this might very well be the finest film he's ever directed as well.

dda1996a

#12 Post by dda1996a » Sun May 20, 2018 3:13 am

Did no one here like Mishima or you're just saying that it's been that long since he made something as good?

hearthesilence

#13 Post by hearthesilence » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 am

I liked Mishima, moreso the first time I saw it, but I have reservations about it now because it doesn't feel like it has much to say about Mishima and his overt fascism. Formally it remains impressive and Schrader usually holds it up as the one film that would make the case for him as a director, but honestly First Reformed does much more than Mishima with much less (and possibly a few of his other films as well).