Awards Season 2017

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.

zedz

Re: Awards Season 2017

#152 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Half of their top ten are from 2016. As I recall, they're normally much more concerned about looking current, even if that means unfairly sidelining films that fall into the release gap. Was 2017 really that bad a year in their eyes?

knives

#153 Post by knives » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 pm

As far as I know all of them received 2017 releases in the US.

zedz

#154 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Well duh, but it's still unusual for the Film Comment list to be so backward looking, in my experience.

To compare, in last year's list, eight out of ten titles were new 2016 titles, and all eight of them had their American debuts at the New York Film Festival in September / October. They were brand new films when they made the top ten.

This year, only two films in the top ten come from this year's NYFF. Four had their US debut at last year's NYFF (A Quiet Passion, Personal Shopper, The Death of Louis XIV, Lost City of Z). The Assayas was a cover feature in Film Comment eighteen months ago. That's a huge vote of confidence in the 2016 NYFF selection - it's not a big festival (the main slate is only 25 films), but twelve films made the Film Comment top ten - but it doesn't say much for the new films of 2017.

ianthemovie

#155 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:08 pm

I think it's just a fluke that it took such a long time for so many 2016 festival-circuit films to get official releases. If you listen to the Film Comment podcast you know that the contributors there are obsessed with Zama and Un beau soleil interieur, both of which premiered at NYFF this year and would no doubt have made the list if they had been officially released.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#156 Post by Omensetter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:45 pm

zedz wrote: The Assayas was a cover feature in Film Comment eighteen months ago.
Just pedantry, but the cover feature was over Kristen Stewart, which did use a still from Personal Shopper.

But, yeah, this is definitely more backward than normal. There will always be lag time, but based on their reactions to Cannes this year, it does seem like they are legitimately cold toward the year.

Phantom Thread would have likely placed higher had the poll been conducted earlier. Pleasantly surprised over Assayas's high-placement. I pegged The Florida Project as their number one before clicking the link (based on Cannes reaction and its overall ability to please) so a bit jarred it didn't crack the top ten.

Martel and Denis seem locks for next year, with perhaps reevaluations of the Desplechin (DC), Loznitsa, and Ramsay (?). In any event, they can only pilfer so many 2016 films.

felipe

#157 Post by felipe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 pm

movielocke wrote:I've not met anyone in real life who has seen the big sick, I know it was the annual summer-Indy-wunderkind (there can be only one), but even with winning that unofficial prize I still haven't heard anyone talking about it nor mentioning it.
But still, at least a few members of the HFPA must have seen the film.

ianthemovie

#158 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Whatever its faults may be, Film Comment's critics' poll is still my favorite of the year-end lists. It tends to reflect a very refined art-house taste without getting too obscurantist (like, say, the lists by the contributors to Artforum). Even though I may not always like every film on the FC list the overall level of quality of their selections tends to be very high. (But does this mean I should actually see Good Time?)

I'm also kind of surprised that they didn't pull a Cahiers move and include Twin Peaks.

Apperson

#159 Post by Apperson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 am

These SAG Award Nominations are something wild:

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
Mudbound
Three Billboards

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman Israel, Esq.
James Franco, The Disaster Artist

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Judi Dench, Victoria and Abdul
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Steve Carell, Battle of the Sexes
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Hong Chau, Downsizing
Holly Hunter, The Big Sick
Allison Janey, I, Tonya
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

Baby Driver
Dunkirk
Logan
War for the Planet of the Apes
Wonder Woman

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#160 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm

The more of an inexplicable ascension there is for Three Billboards, the more I revile it. That said, Woody Harrelson might be the only person in that film who I'd nominate. He's the closest thing to a beating heart in a film without a pulse.

Thrilled to see Daniel Kaluuya on this list too, here's hoping for an Oscar nomination.

ianthemovie

#161 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I wonder if the nominators were able to see The Post and Phantom Thread. The absence of those films seems conspicuous.

Kirkinson

#162 Post by Kirkinson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm thrilled to see the cast of Mudbound get an ensemble acknowledgement, even if I'd be even more thrilled to see the actors getting more recognition individually during awards season. Mary J. Blige is very good in it, but everybody does stellar work in that film. Hard not to feel like Netflix should have invested in a better theatrical release. There's some wonderful, expansive camera work that would greatly benefit from it, and if nothing else it would have increased the film's profile.

knives

#163 Post by knives » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:36 pm

It's Netflix? That is unfortunate.

Ribs

#164 Post by Ribs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:28 pm

The Post miss is surprising, but it seems likely it just broke too late for everyone to see it (much harder to get the 1000s of SAG members to a screening before the deadline than for 40 critics). There’s really not much precedence for suxh a major player to not begin screenings until after Thanksgiving. I’d also advise looking at the nominations from two years ago, when 3 of the 5 ensemble nominees didn’t get nominated for Best Picture (Beast of No Nation / Trumbo / Straight Outta Compton). The lack of Stuhlbarg or Hammer is perplexing and continues this week’s ominous deferral of support for CMBYN ahead of finally expanding beyond NY/LA this weekend.

hearthesilence

#165 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Here's an award you can all vote for - the Audience Choice Award for Cinema Eye Honors.

You can probably guess my vote, but I have to say, I never realized cat lovers were such a reliable voting bloc.

EDIT: They used to show live results after you submitted your vote, but apparently they've done away with that. Kedi was winning by a landslide with well over 50% of the vote in a very crowded field (second place wasn't even close) and Faces Places had one - ONE - measly percent.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#166 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 pm

The nine foreign language Oscar finalists-- Jolie's film was notably snubbed

knives

#167 Post by knives » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 pm

That looks like a really killer line-up in the sense I've heard of most of these and seen a lot on year end lists.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#168 Post by soundchaser » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Pleasantly surprised that Enyedi's film made the shortlist. Hopefully it gets some theatrical distribution from Netflix here. In my opinion the biggest snub next to 120 BPM - but perhaps the least surprising, given his history - is the Kaurismaki.

zedz

#169 Post by zedz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:The nine foreign language Oscar finalists-- Jolie's film was notably snubbed
That's actually a very good line-up. I've seen five of them, and they're all good to great, plus I've heard very positive things about Foxtrot and Felicite.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#170 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Glenn Kenny briefly takes 2017's measure on his blog

His top 10:

01. (tie) Personal Shopper (Assayas)
01. (tie) Taipei Story (Yang [1985 film; first US release 2017])
01. (tie) Phantom Thread (Anderson)
01. (tie) Dawson City: Frozen Time (Morrison)
05. A Quiet Passion (Davies)
06. The Death of Louis XIV (Serra)
07. Baby Driver (Wright)
08. mother! (Aronofsky)
09. The Bad Batch (Aminpour)
10. The Florida Project (Baker)

hearthesilence

#171 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:36 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#172 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:47 pm

hearthesilence

#173 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:09 pm

One of the stunning beach shots from Visages, villages would have topped my list easily.

Black Hat

#174 Post by Black Hat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Is it just me or has Dunkirk fallen off the map completely? I can't recall a film that was largely popular with public & press be forgotten this quickly.

domino harvey wrote:The nine foreign language Oscar finalists-- Jolie's film was notably snubbed
Wow no love for Zama here?

And 120 BPM not being nominated is a travesty, best film I've seen this year.

thirtyframesasecond

#175 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:14 pm

I thought Dunkirk would be THE frontrunner for the Oscars next year. It has all the ingredients to win multiple awards (maybe not the writing or acting but certainly best picture, director, the technical awards etc). I thought it was very good and assumed this would be Nolan's year.