Rogue One (Gareth Edwards, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Rogue One (Gareth Edwards, 2016)

#1 Post by jindianajonz » Thu May 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Gareth Edwards to direct first stand-alone Star Wars film, written by Gary Whitta of Book of Eli and After Earth.

Cold Bishop

Re: Star Wars Films

#2 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri May 23, 2014 4:03 am

For a second I thought that said Gareth Evans. I don't know if I'm disappointed (for the potential film) or relieved (for Evans).

Movie-Brat

Re: Star Wars Films

#3 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri May 23, 2014 4:34 am

I like Gareth Edwards, I'd prefer it either he directed Godzilla 2 or went for a personal project he prefers but he does like Star Wars, can't stop him.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Star Wars Franchise

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:05 pm

solaris72

Re: Star Wars

#5 Post by solaris72 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:55 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:40 pm
Gareth Edwards' Rogue One will feature appearances from, uh, Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen.
Teaser for Rogue One.

Trees

#6 Post by Trees » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:29 am

Very underwhelming.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#7 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:22 am

Really? I thought that looked better than anything I saw for Force Awakens (including the movie itself); for any of Edwards' other faults, his visual aesthetic is far more interesting than Abrams'.

captveg

#8 Post by captveg » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:54 am

I think it scratched the Star Wars itch quite well. Hopefully the film will put the fangs back into Darth Vader, too.

MongooseCmr

#9 Post by MongooseCmr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:16 pm

When I saw TFA I thought I had seen enough more than blaster shots and explosions to last till the sequel, but that teaser got me pretty excited. The lead character seems very close to Rey though

Trees

#10 Post by Trees » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:28 pm

https://vimeo.com/151952481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This leaked trailer is more epic and evocative.

This new teaser looks very run-of-the-mill to me. The daylight scene with Imperial walkers looks like a video game. A teaser like this should be haunting and evocative and should send chills up your spine. It should be more magical and less on the nose.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#11 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Trees wrote:https://vimeo.com/151952481

It should be more magical and less on the nose.
I wouldn't expect this going forward from any of the films. They are all going to be on the nose. Disney needs to make it's money don't you know.

MongooseCmr

#12 Post by MongooseCmr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Well yeah, a trailer is made to sell the movie. I don't know what kind of "magic" you're expecting out of one

jbeall

#13 Post by jbeall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:32 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:Really? I thought that looked better than anything I saw for Force Awakens (including the movie itself); for any of Edwards' other faults, his visual aesthetic is far more interesting than Abrams'.
I agree with you and captveg. That's one of the better trailers I've seen in awhile. And just enough mystery (in that final shot) without giving the story away. Too often, I feel like I know the entire plot of a film from the trailer. This one leaves me wanting more.

movielocke

#14 Post by movielocke » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 pm

I feel like a big unresolved mystery from force awakens was just solved in that trailer

Trees

#15 Post by Trees » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Go on.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 am

I imagine he means
SpoilerShow
Rey's parentage, since Felicity Jones looks like she could be related to Daisy Ridley

bearcuborg

#17 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:23 am

Makes as much sense as Forrest Whitaker being Finn's dad... It's a little fan fictionany to me, but they certainly will try to connect some dots to the original trilogy/prequels/new trilogy... I guess she could end her days on Tattoine and meet Old Ben?

The trailer itself was well done. The rebel line was stupid, but I dug the AT-AT's, capped baddie, the fact that they left Vader out...or at the very least hinted at him. Disney has done a wonderful job so far.

djproject

#18 Post by djproject » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:59 am

Honestly, I really would like the Anthology films to be their own thing. Obviously there will be connections with other aspects of the Star Wars universe because there is no avoiding it (since when does a galaxy become a universe? =D ). But I think that should be secondary to the story it is trying to tell.

In the line's defense, I heard it as both character establishment and a way to create intrigue, which is what a good trailer is supposed to do. In fact, if more trailers are like that - giving just enough to show what it is about and create enough intrigue to get people in the theatre - theatre attendance would be not be an issue.

Also, I think Disney have their audience for December. Therefore, no more trailers or reveals needed =D. (In other words: shut up, Disney; you have my money.)

movielocke

#19 Post by movielocke » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Domino is basically correct. Rogue One appears to take place a year or so before the events of "A New Hope" so Jyn is Luke's age. Her title is apparently "Rogue One" so she is presumably a founder / leader of Rogue Squadron. iirc, Luke is in Rogue Squadron at the beginning of "Empire Strikes Back" so it is likely the two know each other. So the opportunity is there for future mischief.

I do like that they seem to be establishing Jyn as a more Han Solo type of character. This will contrast nicely with Rey as the good-hearted Luke-type in the new trilogy. This way they're already avoiding only "good girls" can be heroes stereotypes.
SpoilerShow
If Jyn is Rey's mother, it makes for a plausible scenario as to why Luke is not in contact with Rey and why Rey was "abandoned." Jyn may have become pregnant without Luke ever being aware of it, and Jyn goes into hiding for basically the same reason Luke and Leia were hidden, "to protect you both from the empire, you were hidden from your father when you were born." However Snoke still tracks her down, she makes a 'decoy' getaway in her ship, while unbeknownst to her pursuers Rey is not aboard the ship but left behind on Jakku. Her ship is completely destroyed in her 'escape' attempt, and Snoke's minions believe Rey was killed as well. This means she functionally sacrificed her own life to save Rey's life. I could see this sort of scenario playing out as the final scenes and climax of Jyn's final movie. :-p

Add a wrinkle, it was the emotional devastation of Jyn leaving him that resulted in Luke's training of Ren (et al) to fail. Or alternatively, it was Luke trying to find Jyn that led Snoke to Jyn's hiding place (he tracked Luke's ship) and Luke is aware that they tracked him and he is responsible for Jyn's death, but has no idea that Rey existed, is alive.

They could very well be using the in-between films to create an expanded base for the primary episodes VII VIII and IX to draw from. and if I'm right, it would allow them to avoid having to use flashbacks to explain Rey and Luke's connections.

And of course it's very probable that Jyn is not related to anyone in the new trilogy nor had any contact with anyone other than Mon Mothma in the old trilogy. That would be very nice, and I would like it.

But I'm going to guess that J+L=R is going to be a very big thing from this point until Episode VIII comes out.

bearcuborg

#20 Post by bearcuborg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:38 am

Of everything you said, the only thing I liked is that using the anthology films eliminates the need of flashbacks to explain Rey's origins. The scenario you presented would be awfully hard for me to accept though. But at this point I think it would be a bigger surprise to find out Rey is not Luke's daughter.

Manny Karp

#21 Post by Manny Karp » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:52 pm

I think it would be a lot more interesting if Luke never had children or even a (new) family, never had sex at all. It would add to the "religious" or spiritual aspect of his journey. He's basically a monk, right? But as they're turning the property into YA with laser guns, that approach seems unlikely.

bearcuborg

#22 Post by bearcuborg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I've heard the "young adult" tag thrown around elsewhere. I don't get that feeling at all. Not in TFA or in the Rogue One teaser.

Mr Sausage

#23 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm not even sure what it's meant to imply.

captveg

#24 Post by captveg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:56 pm

djproject wrote:Also, I think Disney have their audience for December. Therefore, no more trailers or reveals needed =D. (In other words: shut up, Disney; you have my money.)
Oh, there's no way this Fall they don't use
SpoilerShow
Darth Vader's presence
to market the hell out of the film.

captveg

#25 Post by captveg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Also, I'm expecting every single member of Rogue One to die accomplishing the mission. Jyn's final scene: getting the plans to Captain Antilles with Leia standing in the background out of focus. Think Hanks at the end of Saving Private Ryan.