The Disaster Artist (James Franco, 2017)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
zedz

Re: The Disaster Artist (James Franco, 2017)

#26 Post by zedz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:07 pm

All the Best People wrote:I finally saw this trailer tonight, after having done everything I could to avoid it. All the good moments are just re-creations of moments from The Room or scenes meant to re-create the shooting of moments from The Room. As such, I'm confused; it seems pointless if you've seen The Room, and meaningless if you haven't.
Gosh, in that case I hope the film has more material in it than the trailer!

Ribs

#27 Post by Ribs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:20 am

A24 has booked this film for IMAX runs in several markets as part of its wide release this weekend

Murdoch

#28 Post by Murdoch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm

All the Best People wrote:I finally saw this trailer tonight, after having done everything I could to avoid it. All the good moments are just re-creations of moments from The Room or scenes meant to re-create the shooting of moments from The Room. As such, I'm confused; it seems pointless if you've seen The Room, and meaningless if you haven't.
I think this is a good example of Sontag's classic distinction between intentional and unintentional camp. I'm not too interested in Franco doing his best Wiseau and the whole affair is too wink-wink for me to sit through. From what I've read this adaptation glosses over some of the more abusive aspects of Wiseau's onset persona to make the experience more palatable as an underdog tale. Wiseau's an interesting personality but sitting through Franco and co.'s recreations and dissections sounds torturous.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#29 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm

zedz wrote:
Gosh, in that case I hope the film has more material in it than the trailer!
Just checked, the film is actually 2.5 minutes long and a 95 minute Frozen short precedes it

David M.

#30 Post by David M. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm

I really liked this. I've endured The Room and don't care to do it again, although I'll happily laugh at the best 15 minutes or so on YouTube every once a year. The film's far more than goofy fan service. People who've never heard of The Room can probably enjoy it.

Drawingoflamporstick

#31 Post by Drawingoflamporstick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:31 pm

I was afraid this would be a movie length version of an almost funny SNL parody, but found it to be very entertaining.
Instead of laughing at and laughing with someone, it was strangely a case of laughing at and being inspired by someone.

It's odd to be inspired by a narcissist with unlimited funds and no apparent talent, but the movie somehow achieves this which I've found out is basically what happened to Greg.

I've only seen The Room once (and the YouTube clips quite a bit), but this sent me down the Wiseau rabbit hole again. I just started listening to the audio book version of The Disaster Artist (featuring Greg doing a possibly better Wiseau impression than Franco) and am shocked at how many little unbelievable details in the movie are directly in the book. Events are condensed and elided but everything rings true so far. The biggest difference is that Greg isn't as naive as he is in the movie. Obviously he was made into more of a caricature for a comedy movie, but with Tommy apparently being a real life caricature this can be seen as a pretty faithful dramatization.

And to make some of you really squirm there is an homage to Denis Lavant's dance at the end of Beau Travail.

phantomforce

#32 Post by phantomforce » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 am

Definitely one of my favorites this year and one I will enjoy for years to come. I loved the way Franco handled the material with compassion. Very infectious film with a lot of heart and I found it inspiring and think many will too, especially if you are a creative outsider trying to find his role in this industry. Franco has a great interview with Marc Maron's WTF podcast that really made me appreciate him much more, despite his somewhat pretentious past.

*loads up spotify and plays 'rhythm of the night' for the 100th time*

tarpilot

#33 Post by tarpilot » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:18 pm

The commentary track with Wiseau, Sestero, both Francos, and both screenwriters is the real work of art here. The others do try to be cool but Wiseau is just such an ass from the get that I can't blame them for giving him shit. Inspirational quote: "If I don't do sixty-seven takes of the same scene, The Room did not exist, I will be out of business, and maybe even homeless."

To be fair, though, he is an authority.

Sestero and Wiseau also confirms that the latter's ass shot was directly inspired by Franco's own ass shot in that James Dean TV movie. Franco is audibly disturbed by the news.