It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 am 

Luke M wrote:
Yup. I think this will be easier than people are claiming. If it were difficult I doubt Scott would be doing it.

Absolutely. It helps if they're just replacing Spacey and nothing more - that is, the cut is set, and they don't have to fiddle with any structural editing, just swapping out shots to replace an actor. Shooting would also go faster because they'd have an exact blueprint to follow. There'd be no need for coverage or anything like that. And I'm sure in some cases, green screen may suffice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am 

Eric Stoltz was replaced shortly after production began on Back to the Future. From what I understand Spacey only filmed for a little over a week so this isn't unfeasible. I mean it's unprecedented but it's not several months of material that Scott has to cram in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 am 

Oh, and the fact that it's Plummer is rather amusing - I think Spacey's first "major" acting role in life was in his high school production of The Sound of Music, where he played Captain Von Trapp.

Someday, this will all be a major studio film, no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 am 

Curren spin going around Twitter is that Scott wanted Plummer from the outset but Sony forced him into Spacey for the box office draw.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:31 am 

If true this is all worth it just for that irony.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:52 am 

mfunk9786 wrote:
When is the most recent example of something like this occurring on this scale? Back to the Future? There Will Be Blood? Not even sure if either of those were this much of a last chance high wire act.

Actually, I'm thinking that Solo - A Star Wars Story fits the bill, especially with Michael Kenneth Williams being replaced after completing the filming of his role.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 pm 

There's also Eyes Wide Shut losing Harvey Keitel and Jennifer Jason Leigh well into production - in both cases, I believe their parts had been substantially or completely filmed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
There's also Eyes Wide Shut losing Harvey Keitel and Jennifer Jason Leigh well into production - in both cases, I believe their parts had been substantially or completely filmed.

Luckily, that film had the advantage of Kubrick being able to keep filming it for approximately 23 years [estimated figure] until he felt it was finished

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 pm 

Not exactly the same, but it's happened several times I can think of relating to vocal performances:

Payback replaced Angie Dickinson with an actual on-screen performance by Kris Kristofferson; when the original cut was finally released, Angie Dickinson's voice was again replaced, this time with the voice of Sally Kellerman.
Her replaced Samantha Morton with Scarlett Johansson.
Phone Booth replaced Ron Eldard with Kiefer Sutherland.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:00 pm 

Keitel was also originally cast as Willard in Apocalypse Now. He's actually in one brief moment in the film where it's just his silhouette in the sunlight.

James Remar was originally Hicks in Aliens.

Mykelti Williamson was cast at the very last minute before Heat went into production I believe. They had someone else in the part either drop out or let go, Al Pacino saw Forrest Gump and made the suggestion to Michael Mann to cast him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:31 pm 

Long after this film presumably comes and goes with little lasting fanfare, this will be an interesting thread to revisit for the fun, Other Lists-y discussion going on!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:12 pm 

Before Lady Bird at the Lincoln Square on 68th and Broadway today, the trailer for this (with Spacey) ran, to much laughter by the "in-the-know" UWS audience.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 pm 

The pilot episode of Game Of Thrones endured massive reshoots, including the recasting of Tamzin Merchant (Daenerys Targaryen), Jennifer Ehle (Catelyn Stark), & Ian McNeice (Illyrio Mopatis).

Two episodes of Seinfeld were redone for syndication after recastings:
-Frank Constanza (George's father) was originally played John Randolph in the character's first appearance, but after the role was recast with Jerry Stiller, they reshot the footage for that original episode and inserted it into the syndicated reruns.
-Larry David originally voiced Newman in the character's first (off-screen) appearance and after Wayne Knight was cast in the role, they had him rerecord the lines and inserted them into the syndicated reruns.

The Seinfeld DVDs allow you the option of watching either version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:26 pm 

PfR73 wrote:
Tamzin Merchant (Daenerys Targaryen)

If she'd remained on board, she might've never gotten the enduring lead role she was always meant for - my avatar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:28 pm 

I thought that was Toni Collette?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

Peter Sellers did six weeks filming on Kiss Me, Stupid before 13 heart attacks (!) necessitated his replacement by Ray Walston.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 pm 

Apparently Plummer was always Scott's first choice for the role but the studio bounced Scott into casting Spacey as he's a bigger name.

Plummer was superb in Egoyan's 'Remember'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:12 pm 

The Onion weighs in

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:14 pm 

Stuart Townsend was one day away from shooting when fired from The Lord of the Rings; replaced by Viggo Mortensen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:16 pm 
Dot Com Dom

reaky wrote:
Peter Sellers did six weeks filming on Kiss Me, Stupid before 13 heart attacks (!) necessitated his replacement by Ray Walston.

I hasn't heard about that, but Walston has the right energy for that role. Call it thirteen happy accidents

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 pm 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
James Remar was originally Hicks in Aliens.

He also appears in the film as a silhouette during an effects shot that was considered too expensive and time-consuming to reshoot.

Jon Finch was originally cast as Kane in Alien, but fell severely ill on his first shooting day. John Hurt was allegedly Scott's first choice for the role but he had been attached to another project.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 am 

And Richard E. Grant was originally in Alien3, but either the studio or producers insisted on Charles Dance for the role instead.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:49 am 

domino harvey wrote:
reaky wrote:

I hasn't heard about that, but Walston has the right energy for that role. Call it thirteen happy accidents
Mind you, it was originally intended for Jack Lemmon, opposite his real-life wife, Felicia Farr. And Wilder’s first picks for Polly the Pistol were Monroe, then Jayne Mansfield!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:17 am 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
And Richard E. Grant was originally in Alien3, but either the studio or producers insisted on Charles Dance for the role instead.

Was that in the Vincent Ward version? I would've loved to have seen that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:40 am 

You mean Alien 3 was once going to have even more of the cast of Withnail & I than it already has?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next