Her Smell (Alex Ross Perry, 2019)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Kirkinson

Re: Her Smell (Alex Ross Perry, 2019)

#26 Post by Kirkinson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 pm

I think there are different kinds of fame at play here. If you could take a poll of every human alive, I could see how more people might technically be aware of Cara Delevingne's existence than anyone else in this cast, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's actually a bigger draw for general audiences to this or any other movie. I mean, if every one of her Instagram followers went to see Valerian in theaters at least once, it would have made $410 million, and that obviously didn't happen.

Persona

#27 Post by Persona » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am

Yeah, I think it is one of those things where there are more people who care about Moss as an actor and would watch this movie for her, whereas when a general audience sees Cara D in it they'd just be like, "Oh, hey, it's Enchantress from Suicide Squad."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#28 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 am

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Having attention on a very small polarizing indie from those who might never have those things on their radar seems more valuable to me than alerting those who will already have this on their radar anyway.

Dead or Deader

#29 Post by Dead or Deader » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:55 am

Much of her crowd will just shrug this off as if the film was never produced. Plenty of that mainstream crowd just doesn't give a damn about artsy indie films, no matter how mainstream the leading stars are, see Twilight stars Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart ventures into that realm. My sister was a crazed fan of the series, has no clue about Stewart collaborations with Olivier Assayas, or Pattinson upcoming existential sci-fi film that features Juliette Binoche carring his own sermon. One of my friends who follows her on Instagram and watches mainly superhero flicks will no doubt have the same reaction as my sister to those types of films.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#30 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

Fair enough. Have wasted too many keystrokes on this already, just trying to explain why someone would cast somebody who isn't a very good actor but is very famous in their very small film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:59 am

Perry's cast former models before, seems de rigueur for most indies anyways

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Picked up by tiny Gunpowder and Sky for release next year

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#33 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:58 am

Shame about that final vignette, huh? Perry had the perfect shot and perfect down-note to end this film on - I was feeling, quite frankly, great about this... and he blew it. It's still pretty good, but it was coasting along as a realistic treatise on the sort of person who cannot take this world straight, a tragic Courtney Love meets Freddie Quell, and then insisted on wrapping a cute and altogether fraudulent bow on it. Ah, well. I can always just shut it off after my ending.