Awards Season 2018

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: Awards Season 2018

#376 Post by knives » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:07 pm

I'd be super happy with best picture winner Crazy Rich Asians personally.

flyonthewall2983

#377 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 am

Michael Douglas winning over Jim Carrey and Bill Hader in that category has dumbstruck me.

Roscoe

#378 Post by Roscoe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 am

The awards love given to THE SHAPE OF WATER last year was the 16-ton weight that landed on the already overloaded camel's back of my interest in this award nonsense.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#379 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:54 am

You might not be wrong there for me either. I've not been following this really at all this year except checking in with this thread, and I think Three Billboards vs The Shape of Water plus the promise of a wall-to-wall Time's Up ceremony might be the source of that apathy.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#380 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 pm

While it seems we're having this discussion almost every year, I still think most awards are a good place to start with yearly new releases. Sure, some aren't that good indicators (and this year's Golden Globes Best Pictures lists are quite awful), but most remain an interesting place to pick and choose movies that are quite likely to be well made.
Interestingly, the 5 movies I'm currently eager to catch back (after missing them in theaters) are heavy-festival and awards beasts : Leto, Donbass, Burning, Shoplifters and Cold War (none of them are american though).

Still, I understand and share the apathy sometimes myself, though it usually more towards the winners and the competition itself. The winners sometimes are what they are, but the GG still reinforced my curiosity regarding Beale Street or The Favourite, but also The Wife, which I didn't hear of before (here in France).
And possibly also Vice.

Big Ben

#381 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm

The Awards are actually important to me for one reason. Winners usually finally get dumped into my local theater months after everyone else has seen them. I agree about the validity of award shows being questionable but strictly speaking I cannot say they're all bad.

Plus at some level everyone here loves the drama surrounding the show itself even though some of you will deny it. :D

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#382 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Apperson compared this year to 2011 in an earlier post, and that seems apt in that there are no powerhouse front-runners and a more or less wide-open field, which is contributing to a lack of narratives that stoke interest in the awards. If there was more of a populist A Star Is Born vs cinephile Roma dynamic, for example, I think that helps drive discussion about the specific films of the year. We'll see what develops after the nominations, but this might just be one of those years where environmental issues like the popular film debate, Time's Up messaging, and the 'drama' around the Oscar hosting job displace a focus on the actual nominees.

To Big Ben's point, the only way most people learn about or have access to independent or foreign films is through nominations and winners of the big ceremonies, which makes awards season of definite interest to most non-NY/LA cinephiles, as well as those who want certain films to have a chance at a quality physical media release.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#383 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm
The Awards are actually important to me for one reason. Winners usually finally get dumped into my local theater months after everyone else has seen them.
Enjoy Green Book!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#384 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:44 pm

I think some of them are just very volatile in the relative quality of what they're selecting and then awarding. I'll never discuss awarding The Social Network, a movie I love, but would be hard pressed finding a single likely good movie in this year's Best Comedy list. But still, I don't want to over-generalise and sense some kind of demise in the quality of the selected movies, simply because we don't know how these lists will look in the following years.

Shakespeare in Love was nominated at the Academy Awards and awarded only 2 years where Fargo and Jerry Maguire were nominated. The year after, The Insider was nominated, and another year later it was Traffic, Erin Brokovich and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (though, again, it's "only" Gladiator that won BP).

The issue I rather have with some ceremonies is that they opened for more contenders, as if for allowing more (quality) choices, but in the end, I'm not sure it actually changed much. Or rather, it seemed to have allow more seemingly mediocre movie to be nominated only to logically win no award whatsoever. It might not be a good idea to filter more at the earlier stages, since in the end, it doesn't seem like it will matter much regarding the final results.
DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 pm
Apperson compared this year to 2011 in an earlier post, and that seems apt in that there are no powerhouse front-runners and a more or less wide-open field, which is contributing to a lack of narratives that stoke interest in the awards.
It seems like this season hasn't been very good for US movies. On DVD Classik, we're having a very hard time finding good dramas that could have been nominated, with Phantom Thread being last year in the US, and Under The Silver Lake still unreleased. The only one we could think of was First Reformed.
I went to Metacritic trying and have more inspiration but most of the top rated (by critics) movies aren't from the US...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#385 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:44 pm
On DVD Classik, we're having a very hard time finding good dramas that could have been nominated, with Phantom Thread being last year in the US, and Under The Silver Lake still unreleased. The only one we could think of was First Reformed.
Gonna go ahead and say you aren't looking hard enough

Big Ben

#386 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:49 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm
The Awards are actually important to me for one reason. Winners usually finally get dumped into my local theater months after everyone else has seen them.
Enjoy Green Book!
Why would you do this to me? More to the point though you're actually correct about this. We didn't get Green Book and now I wonder what my prospects are now in this Post Award Season stuff because I really don't need to see Green Book. It's indicative of where I live where even something as schmaltzy as Green Book won't play here but I'm hoping maybe we can get The Favorite but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I was really aghast at the Golden Globes this year because it seemed to be diametrically opposed to what the critics were raving about. If anything it felt more like the MTV Movie Awards except it had A listers in it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#387 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 pm
tenia wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:44 pm
On DVD Classik, we're having a very hard time finding good dramas that could have been nominated, with Phantom Thread being last year in the US, and Under The Silver Lake still unreleased. The only one we could think of was First Reformed.
Gonna go ahead and say you aren't looking hard enough
It very well might be, but remember France currently aren't so keen on movies like Hereditary, A Quiet Place, A Star is Born, Black Panther, Annihilation, while others potentially better movies are not released yet in here. This can explain our difficulties. But if you can give me some suggestions, I'd be happy to pass them so we can discuss them there (and have a look at them myself, I'd be happy to catch some stuff I missed) !
But looking at this list, it's again hard to find eligible alternatives within the top 20.
First Man was mentioned, though.
Is The Rider eligible ?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#388 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Yes, The Rider is eligible. BlacKkKlansman, Roma, If Beale Street Could Talk, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Widows, Leave No Trace, You Were Never Really Here, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - a lot of very strong dramas were released this year that would be right at home in a Best Picture nomination list, even though most won't make it in. Just sort of (okay, extremely) regressive to imply that Phantom Thread, First Reformed, and Under the Silver Lake are the only good drama films from 2018 that are worthy of some kind of awards recognition.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#389 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:25 pm

I think tenia's point was that many of those films haven't played in France yet, so he has little impression of them one way or the other-- I don't think that's regressive

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#390 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:28 pm

That wasn't the original implication, hence my reply - these films exist even if you haven't seen them so it's sort of irrelevant to leave them out of the discussion of potential Oscar nominees

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#391 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Within those, I think we willingly but incorrectly put aside You Were Never Really Here (thought non eligible because of its 2017 release date around here), Buster Scruggs (Netflix but also mixed response) and Roma (non US).
BlacKkKlansman is already in, as Beale Street (and Roma, technically). Beale Street also hasn't been released in France yet, but both are considered as the higher entries in the BP Drama noms.
I have never heard of Can You Ever Forgive Me? (it seems like it doesn't even a French release date yet so there's that). I don't think anyone there either.

I don't think anyone there would ever think of Leave No Trace as a US BP nominee and Widows is getting a relatively ordinary critical response in France.

We indeed forgot The Rider, so that's one.

But we're having even more troubles finding alternatives for the BP Comedy.
domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:25 pm
I think tenia's point was that many of those films haven't played in France yet, so he has little impression of them one way or the other-- I don't think that's regressive
Actually, it seems to be a bigger part of the problem that I thought this year, and it seems it’s not negligible in the end.
However, my original point is really that within the released US movies, we really are having difficulties finding some extra non-nominated ones where the consensus is "yeah, that's worthy", more than past years. Both Golden Globes’s BP lists were met with surprise and perceived as extremely mediocre.

But The Rider is a true omission from us, so there's this one at least.
And possibly Hostiles and Audiard’ Les frères Sisters.
mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:28 pm
That wasn't the original implication, hence my reply - these films exist even if you haven't seen them so it's sort of irrelevant to leave them out of the discussion of potential Oscar nominees
If only the more mediocre ones are available to us, it might however bias our perceptions. However, judging from your list of dramas, it doesn't look like there that many movies we would have considered anyway.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#392 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Still pretty confused by the overall point, as Under the Silver Lake stands a far lower chance of getting a BP nom than Leave No Trace, which you've dismissed as having very little chance of getting a BP nom

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#393 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Under the Silver Lake will do about as well at next year's Oscars as Southland Tales did the year it came out

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#394 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Still pretty confused by the overall point, as Under the Silver Lake stands a far lower chance of getting a BP nom than Leave No Trace, which you've dismissed as having very little chance of getting a BP nom
The overall point is that from our French perspective, we're finding the 2 Golden Globes BP lists quite poor but are also struggling finding recent US movies that we would deem good alternatives / contenders, though we probably missed some either because we just forgot or because they're far from yet being released.

Within this, though, it seems like Leave No Trace made a smaller imprint in France than Under The Silver Lake.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#395 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:58 pm

DGA Nominations:

Bradley Cooper
Alfonso Cuaron
Peter Farrelly
Spike Lee
Adam McKay

Fiery Angel

#396 Post by Fiery Angel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 pm

No Bryan Singer????

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#397 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:06 pm

I'd be willing to forgive that list a bit more if there were any way Lee is going to walk home with the recognition. The traction of Green Book and Vice despite little critical or commercial enthusiasm continues to boggle my mind. But at least Krasinski isn't on the list.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#398 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:10 pm

First Feature DGA noms:

Bo Burnham
Bradley Cooper
Carlos Lopez Estrada
Matthew Heineman
Boots Riley

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#399 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Not surprising, but very disappointing that Lanthimos doesn't seem to be garnering as much support as expected for The Favourite; I'm holding out hope that more support for that film from the craft guilds will push him onto the Academy's short list.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#400 Post by soundchaser » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:32 pm

I said it in the dedicated thread, and I stand by it: The Favourite is a clear shoo-in for the Production Design Oscar, if nothing else.