It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 pm 

carmilla mircalla wrote:
bearcuborg wrote:
Here's hoping we get a Clint Howard cameo.

the silver lining

If Clint Howard channels his Evilspeak days, he'll surely be on the dark side!

Post subject: Re: Star Wars
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:35 am 

MoonlitKnight wrote:
To my dying day I'll maintain that if the prequels had a more skilled screenwriter adapting Lucas' general storyline - and perhaps a more actor-friendly director - they would've been held in almost as high a regard as the OT and - though I totally disagree - the botched surgery that was TFA
By chance I came across this short video about “the prequels’ secret brilliance” (as narrative, not films). I’m not a big enough Star Wars fan to have closely analyzed the saga’s storylines and themes, but does anyone who's digged more deeply into these films feel this guy has a point?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:01 am 

I remember the plot outline being fine if not exactly evidence of some untraceable level of brilliance, but the nooks and crannies being so fucking bogged down by intergalactic politics, bizarrely dull and worthless to the storytelling that was going on. The best aspects of those prequels were the visual ideas (pod racing being my favorite) that never had anything resembling a good enough script and director to hold them up. I'm not sure what happened to George Lucas since 1977, aside from acquiring a positively delightful amount of money, but I feel mostly sad when I think about the prequels that his filmmaking talent is just totally gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:29 am 
Not PETA approved

I haven't watched the video, but I do know Lucas utterly botched the key element of the story, Anakin's seduction to the dark side. In the prequels he's seduced mostly because he's afraid of losing his family (because of dreams) and comes to think the dark side will help with that (how? Who knows), only to immediately turn on all those he wanted to save with a paranoia he'd never shown before. It all makes no sense, and I'd be surprised if anyone were convinced by it. Thinking on it, it's really Anakin's best qualities as a human--his confidence, competence, probity, and self-assurance--that ought've turned him. I do see a superior person coming to think the rules and restrictions, and the arbitrary and perhaps unreasonable power of the council, beneath him; and that, coupled with that superior person's implicit belief in his own righteousness and superior ability relative to others, causes him to turn to the dark side in the belief that he alone knows the right course for everything and deserves the power to make it happen. His own superior qualities poison him. I buy that.

So in this case the failure is not in the execution but in the very conception. George Lucas either did not understand the nature of power or he could not bring himself to truly make Darth Vader evil (or both).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:21 pm 

I was thinking about this the other day- I think it would have made much more sense if Padme had some wasting illness that was driving Anakin out of his head over a longer period of time, such that his desire for action and unlimited self confidence tempting him to seek forbidden knowledge would have scanned better. As is, he never actually tries anything to solve this problem that doesn't really exist except flipping directly to the dark.

I also feel as though a lot of the bureaucracy stuff would have worked better if Anakin's purpose had ever come directly into contact with it- if, say, he believed he had a solution to the illness or felt the need to avenge a death that was prevented by the arcane rules of the Republic (presumably at Palpatine's behest), encouraging him to want to throw it over in favor of direct rule by the Jedi Council. His insistence on becoming a Master would have fit better, as would their increasing recognition of his untrustworthiness, and it would have fit well with the fascist overtones of the Empire in the original trilogy.

As is, we spend fully two movies with Anakin's character not really developing much- he's a sunny innocent in episode one and a moody teen in two, but there's nothing especially specific about him, and nothing that will pay off in his eventual fall.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:56 pm 
Not PETA approved

Given the prequels' fascination with bureaucratic machinations, it makes no sense to me that Anakin was never brought into prolonged conflict with the Jedi council. It just seems so obvious. It's like the prequels focused on all the wrong things while the right ones were staring them in the face.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:49 am 

This seemed inevitable as Star Wars is about giving the people what they want and whatever you think of Lorde and Miller they're best known for surprising if not subverting audience expectations where as cults must be fed.

As for Kennedy it looks to me she's the one taking bullets for people (likely Kasdan) which is pretty much a big part of her job.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:28 pm 

A fan-restored version of the original 1977 release, sourced from a 35mm print, has surfaced online

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:43 pm 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:

That's from February 2016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:50 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:

Presuming it's in reference to the Despecialized Editions (the article doesn't specify), they exist for all three original films and are very much worth the effort.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:54 pm 

Agreed there, it just isn't new news and we should not go on at length about anything amounting to piracy here

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:37 am 

Ehrenreich's performance compared to Jim Carrey's in Ace Ventura.

:-k

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:36 pm 

Big Ben wrote:

Now I kinda want to see Han Solo fly the Millennium Falcon with his head out the window.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:15 pm 

Lucasfilm was so concerned about Ehrenreich's performance that an acting coach was brought in; applause broke out among the crew when it was announced that Lord and Miller were fired and Ron Howard would be brought in

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:31 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:

Help us Opie Wan...you're our only hope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:33 pm 

Sounds like Kennedy is very good at PR.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:34 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:

Would that it were so simple.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Who has ever met their new boss and like booed them? Who cares they applauded? I would applaud Ron Howard too if he was my boss, or Michael Bay or whoever

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm 

This was really bad, guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm 

swo17 wrote:

Yikes. Do, or do not write something funny...there is no try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:15 pm 

Are those emails real? Is that really the script they were putting together? Or was that some experimental art project where they were seeing how much they could mess with the big studios?
Edit: always read the fine print at the bottom.
I have to say I laughed while reading these; not to say it would be a funny movie--just the outrageousness of Drew Barrymore suddenly appearing. I wish instead of Ron Howard they could hire a Bunuel hologram to direct this thing.

Last edited by John Shade on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 pm 

It is a joke which it says at the bottom of the article.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:23 pm 

Well, that definitely would have been an original movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:29 pm 

Totally forgot about Patton Oswalt's improvised speech on Parks and Recreation. I sporadically watched this show and did not catch this entire episode, but from what I can recall, his character pulls a filibuster, and the show gave Oswalt carte blanche to come up with anything that could indefinitely stall a vote. He wound up doing an over-the-top pitch for the Disney sequels.

Favorite part:
Quote:
...and then Luke looks down and Han’s wedding ring is gone, "hey, what happened with you and Leia?" And Han’s like, "don’t even get me started on that..."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:34 pm 

Behind the scenes of The Last Jedi.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 46  Next